Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 03 Mar 2008 (Monday) 10:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help on deciding a camera

SierraHighPhoto
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 03, 2008 10:33 |  #1

My old Canon Powershot A310 decided a couple months back to die on me, and basically it really was time to get a new camera, and now I have the excuse to.

I love taking pictures, at just about anything and everything, random stuff, cars, football games, family, nature, you name it.

I am in college right now, and unfortunatly it does cost a lot of money, so I don't have a massive amount to spend. I was trying to stay under $400, but found a camera for $450 which I liked.

Anywho, basically I just want to know, out of the three, which one would be the best buy for me (performance).

The one's I have been looking at are:

**I'll be checking back around 1:50 considering thats when I get out of class, so please don't expect any responses till that time**
Canon Powershot S5 IS
Canon Powershot SX1000IS

And the one I recently was told about, is the Canon Digital Rebel XT

All cameras are nice, and I really love the Rebel, it seems to take much better photos, even though it isn't using the DiG!C III.

If anyone could give me some information on what they think would be best for what I am doing that would be great.

Please note, I am not a new user to cameras, I have been taking pictures for some time now and do have expierence, maybe not as great as others, but I do know what I'm doing, I'm sure I would have to get use to the Rebel possibly because it isn't a Point and Shoot, but I could manage.

Thanks for any help, and if you need any more information please ask.

Thank you

Kiel

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Mar 03, 2008 10:39 |  #2

The S5IS is a very nice camera for the money....it isn't a DSLR by any stretch of the imagination, but it is more than capable of taking decent photographs. Given your budget, this certainly merits consideration.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,218 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 03, 2008 11:04 |  #3

Your dead A310 shows the reliability with them Canon's. Probably should go with the Nikon. JK. If $450 is your budget I would go with the G9, it is a lot of camera for the money.

If you go the Rebel route look forward to spending money in your future. You'll never be satisfied with one lens, and you will want to get an external flash along the way.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

SierraHighPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
447 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 03, 2008 13:06 |  #4

Alright, I heard the S5 has horrible battery life however, which doesn't bother me thanks to rechargeables, but at the same time the Rebel's quality seems to be by far more superb than the S5

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

833 views & 0 likes for this thread
Help on deciding a camera
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.