Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Mar 2008 (Tuesday) 21:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=Still love your 20D/30D? Congregate!

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 04, 2008 21:43 |  #1

OK, I see the hotshots are all assembling their fanboy threads, so I think that us budget minded shooters need a place to let the world know just how great our four year-old technology still is.

See this:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=464097

The 20D was truly a giant leap in DSLR technology. I made the leap into DSLR's shortly after getting married, so my funds were pretty limited and I decided on a 20D instead of a new XT or XTi. I've never regretted the purchase and I am sure that this will be my back-up camera when I eventually get a 1D MkIIN.

I went to a local camera store last year (Harolds, a Ritz clone) and the guy at the counter actually laughed at me and told me the 20D was a "dinosaur" and not worth buying when I asked if they could still get refurbished 20D's. He then told me what a great deal they had on 30D's (Only $1149!!!) and how much better of a camera it was and how much better the image quality was than the old 20D. If the real dinosaurs had been as advanced as the 20D still is, we'd still be sharing Earth with them.

There may be better cameras out now, but the 20D is still very capable camera. It really brought an amazing camera to those that couldn't justify or afford spending the money on a 1D MkII and continues to hold its own to this day.

So, do you still love your 20D?

**EDIT BY CDS***

We have a growing number of *Fan clubs revolving around specific bodies.
I thought I'd make a collection of them, so we can find them and keep them organized (merge in new ones etc)

The Master list is here

Feel free to point us to other models or threads that could be merged.

* WARNING: By posting in this or any of the linked threads you are wholly admitting in no uncertain terms that you are a snot nosed, milk drinking, knee biting, curtain climbing unabashed Canon Fanboy who's opinions must be taken with several large grains of kosher salt.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

sponsored links
HighLife
661 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 04, 2008 21:47 |  #2

My first and only DSLR is my 20d...love it to death...will prob upgrade later on down the road, however for me its going to be glass first, then nice body as glass makes MUCH more of a difference then body.

Canon 590IS/CHDKMy Flickr (external link)

BEEEsH
652 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 04, 2008 21:56 |  #3

I had the opportunity to pick up a 20d, I should have but didn't. I'll be getting a 40d, soon though.

EOS 5D MK II
16-35mm F2.8L II - 24-105mm F4L - 35mm F1.4L - 85mm F1.2L II - 70-300 IS -
580EX II - MANFROTTO 055D w/RC 141 - DOMKE F3X - Nanuk 940 White

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 04, 2008 22:08 |  #4

I almost bought one last week as backup. It's such great value right now, just like the 5D. Our threads can be friends :D.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

sheawyatt
Goldmember
1,406 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 04, 2008 22:11 |  #5

I still love mine, even though I no longer own it. However, I will be picking up a used one in 4 weeks for a backup before I head to Europe for the summer. And the best part is that it will only cost me $500 max, whereas I sold mine for just under $1000 a year ago.

X-T3 | 10-24 f/4 | 18-55 f/2.8-4 | 16 f/1.4 | 80 f/2.8 Macro | 55-200 f/3.5-4.8 | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 | 1.4x TC |
Marketplace Feedback: Link
www.sheawyatt.ca (external link)

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,159 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2005

Mar 04, 2008 22:13 |  #6

DDCSD wrote in post #5050101 (external link)
OK, I see the hotshots are all assembling their fanboy threads, so I think that us budget minded shooters need a place to let the world just how great our four year-old technology still is.

See this:

The 20D was truly a giant leap in DSLR technology. I made the leap into DSLR's shortly after getting married, so my funds were pretty limited and I decided on a 20D instead of a new XT or XTi. I've never regretted the purchase and I am sure that this will be my back-up camera until I get a 1D MkIIN eventually.

I went to a local camera store last year (Harolds, a Ritz clone) and the guy at the counter actually laughed at me and told me the 20D was a "dinosaur" and not worth buying when I asked if they could still get refurbished 20D's. He then told me what a great deal they had on 30D's (Only $1149!!!) and how much better of a camera it was and how much better the image quality was than the old 20D. If the real dinosaurs had been as advanced as the 20D still is, we'd still be sharing Earth with them.

There may be better cameras out now, but the 20D is still very capable camera. It really brought an amazing camera to those that couldn't justify or afford spending the money on a 1D MkII and continues to hold its own to this day.

i loved the 20d when i got the 5d but sold it. a few months later my 5d's shutter failed and i needed a camera ASAP so i bought another 20d.

i found that the after using the 5d the 20d's LCD was worthless to me and the 100 pic files were a hassle to deal with.

anyhow i sold the 20d and bought a 30d and i found it to be almost identical to my 5d.

so functionally i think the 20d is great but the 30d is such a great deal now that i no longer have any love for the 20d :D.

ed rader

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L F4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15 FE, sigma 14 f1.8 art, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L + markins Q20, gitzo GT 1545T + markins Q3T, gitzo GM4562

jtmorales
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 04, 2008 22:17 |  #7

I love my 20D. I plan to upgrade to a 5D or some variant this year, but I'll probably keep the 20D as it's been such a great camera for me for the last few years.

JCM Photography (external link)
Blog (external link)
Flickr (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 04, 2008 22:17 |  #8

I still like mine. But as in all relationships, the hottest passion at the outset eventually cools to a smoldering ember. I still use my 20D but I now routinely reach for my 5D first and am giving some serious consideration to either a 40D (I can't deny that the crop FOV can be an advantage on the tele end of things) or possibly rendering the 5D to backup duty behind a MkIII.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

chris_arnet
444 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 04, 2008 22:18 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

OK, I see the hotshots are all assembling their fanboy threads, so I think that us budget minded shooters need a place to let the world just how great our four year-old technology still is.

See this:

The 20D was truly a giant leap in DSLR technology. I made the leap into DSLR's shortly after getting married, so my funds were pretty limited and I decided on a 20D instead of a new XT or XTi. I've never regretted the purchase and I am sure that this will be my back-up camera until I get a 1D MkIIN eventually.

what a dumb guy. hell yeah i love my 20D!!!

Canon 60D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 85mm f/1.8 | Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5 Macro | Sigma 100-300 f/4.5-6.7
Holga 120N
Flickr (external link)

JWright
Planes, trains and ham radio...
18,399 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Mar 04, 2008 22:20 as a reply to  @ BEEEsH's post |  #10

See this:

It's all I've used for the last 3½ years, except for an occasional shot with my D60.

The clerk at that camera store needs to read up on his cameras. The 30D was nothing more than a minor upgrade of the 20D, adding features like spot metering, a bigger buffer and a larger LCD screen. The sensor and processor were exactly the same so there was no difference in the IQ of the two cameras. I'd certainly be skeptical about shopping there...

John

inthedeck
Cream of the Crop
11,577 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 04, 2008 22:20 |  #11

I used to own one...and liked it at the time. It was a great learning camera, for me, and what brought me into the digital realm.

EDIT: Removed image.

MCSquared Photography (external link) on WWW
MCSquared Photography (external link) on Flickr
MCSquared Photography (external link) on IG
My name: Manish.

DDCSD
THREAD ­ STARTER
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 04, 2008 22:22 |  #12

perryge wrote in post #5050241 (external link)
I almost bought one last week as backup. It's such great value right now, just like the 5D. Our threads can be friends :D.

That would be nice. :lol:

I can't wait for the new 5D to come out. Then the 5D will be an even better value. Will be tough not to get one if the price gets down around $1200-$1300.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

PhotosGuy
75,898 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 04, 2008 22:23 |  #13

and told me the 20D was a "dinosaur" and not worth buying

That's relative, isn't it? IF you could have bought one 10 years ago, what would it have cost?

I still use my 20D & it still makes money for me. I routinely make 12x18" prints & they're just fine. Would I like a 5D? Yes. Do I need one? No. When I get one, I'll still keep the 20D as a 2nd body, & I'll still use it.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

DDCSD
THREAD ­ STARTER
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 04, 2008 22:27 as a reply to  @ DDCSD's post |  #14

chris_arnet wrote in post #5050313 (external link)
what a dumb guy. hell yeah i love my 20D!!!

JWright wrote in post #5050323 (external link)
It's all I've used for the last 3½ years, except for an occasional shot with my D60.

The clerk at that camera store needs to read up on his cameras. The 30D was nothing more than a minor upgrade of the 20D, adding features like spot metering, a bigger buffer and a larger LCD screen. The sensor and processor were exactly the same so there was no difference in the IQ of the two cameras. I'd certainly be skeptical about shopping there...

Yeah, the only thing I've ever bought there was a rocket blower. He couldn't admit that the 20D was a decent camera because he didn't have any to sell to me. Another guy there handed me an 85L when I asked to see an 85 1.8. :lol: I really wish we had a real camera store around here.

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

simon_says
306 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 05, 2008 05:27 |  #15

Updated camera bodies are always being released. I see no point in staying at the cutting edge as a hobbyist. The 20D takes stunning pictures and the leap in image quality is not huge with newer bodies. You're basically paying for more features, performance, etc. - older bodies can still take wonderful pictures (as they always have!), and it's a shame that some people feel the need to get a newer body because they think it will automatically result in better pictures.

sponsored links

581,047 views & 173 likes for this thread
-=Still love your 20D/30D? Congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.