Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
Thread started 07 Mar 2008 (Friday) 19:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kangaroo Point Cliffs, Brisbane

Scott ­ H
434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 07, 2008 19:29 |  #1

Hi All,

I am very new to night photography, so I thought I might share these couple of pics for a bit of C&C.

First couple of pics are from the top of the cliffs looking at the beautiful Brisbane City. I am having trouble getting these types of shots in proper focus. Can anyone offer some good advice? Some are coming up great and others not. I know I need a Remote switch and its next on my list of things to purchase.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i224.photobucke​t.com …hines-photos/IMG_2639.jpg (external link)

Canon 40D, EF-S 17-85mm, IS Off, 89sec, F18, ISO 100.

http://i224.photobucke​t.com …hines-photos/IMG_2638.jpg (external link)

Canon 40D, EF-S 17-85mm, IS Off, 15sec, F5.6, ISO 100

After venturing down to the bottom of the cliffs, we met a couple of rock climbers. Getting them to stand still was a challenge. This shot was an attempt at showing their 'task ahead'. Note to self - NEED WIDER LENS.

http://i224.photobucke​t.com …hines-photos/IMG_2651.jpg (external link)

Canon 40D, EF-S 17-85mm, 30sec, F20, ISO 100

http://i224.photobucke​t.com …hines-photos/IMG_2648.jpg (external link)

Any advice on making these sharper? That seems to be my challenge at the moment. They look OK zoomed out, but they really show the faults at 100% crop.

Cheers,

-Scott

-Scott. My Smugmug (external link)
I shoot with a Canon 7D

sponsored links
DAdeGroot
Goldmember
4,512 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 07, 2008 19:46 |  #2

Hi Scott. Not a bad effort, but (there's always a but eh?) I think you'd get a much better result from there if you tried it during the Blue Hour (not really an hour - more like 15 to 20 mins). It's the time of day just after sunset when the sky is getting dark but hasn't gone black and thus a long exposure will render it a deep blue.

By shooting later at night, you lose separation of sky and buildings.

The top one, presuming you didn't move or bump the camera is probably soft due to diffraction. Notice how much sharper the f/5.6 shot is compared to the f/18 shot. In general, try to stay below f/11 (or f/8) for sharper shots. There's a bit on diffraction on this page (scroll down to it) - http://www.cambridgein​colour.com …al-camera-sensor-size.htm (external link)

Dave
http://www.degrootphot​ography.com.au/ (external link)
http://www.digitalphot​ographycourses.com.au/ (external link)
Gear List
Quae narravi, nullo modo negabo!

Trumples
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 07, 2008 19:54 |  #3

Scott H wrote in post #5069690 (external link)
Hi All,

I am very new to night photography, so I thought I might share these couple of pics for a bit of C&C.

First couple of pics are from the top of the cliffs looking at the beautiful Brisbane City. I am having trouble getting these types of shots in proper focus. Can anyone offer some good advice? Some are coming up great and others not. I know I need a Remote switch and its next on my list of things to purchase.

Canon 40D, EF-S 17-85mm, IS Off, 89sec, F18, ISO 100.

Canon 40D, EF-S 17-85mm, IS Off, 15sec, F5.6, ISO 100

After venturing down to the bottom of the cliffs, we met a couple of rock climbers. Getting them to stand still was a challenge. This shot was an attempt at showing their 'task ahead'. Note to self - NEED WIDER LENS.

Any advice on making these sharper? That seems to be my challenge at the moment. They look OK zoomed out, but they really show the faults at 100% crop.

Cheers,

-Scott

Hi Scott, nice pics but I also agree with Dave from first hand experience.

The first time I've ever encountered the "blue hour" was when out with this group during a 2 night Southbank run.

The difference in quality was huge from those I had taken before well after sunset.

However, use a tripod, get a remote shutter release (or use time exposure to minimise camera shake), try experimenting with mirror lock-up and set your f-stop to around 8-11

BrisVegas by night is a great thing to capture so keep at it - just when you think you have seen it all you manage to snag something else which makes all the hard work seem so worth it. :)

:: John ::
5DIII ++ http://www.pbase.com/t​rumplesoz (external link)

NerdyNigel
382 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 07, 2008 20:01 |  #4

Trumples wrote in post #5069837 (external link)
Hi Scott, nice pics but I also agree with Dave from first hand experience.

The first time I've ever encountered the "blue hour" was when out with this group during a 2 night Southbank run.

The difference in quality was huge from those I had taken before well after sunset.

However, use a tripod, get a remote shutter release (or use time exposure to minimise camera shake), try experimenting with mirror lock-up and set your f-stop to around 8-11

BrisVegas by night is a great thing to capture so keep at it - just when you think you have seen it all you manage to snag something else which makes all the hard work seem so worth it. :)

Exactly

Nigel
Website and Blog
http://nknphotography.​com.au (external link)
Flick (external link)r

wakko
not a real Aussie
8,196 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 07, 2008 21:51 |  #5

I echo all the above comments. Great first attempt...

I loooove night shots. i find the blue hour (you can even wiki for it) best because you get building detail on top of lights...

like this http://stuff.planetsla​ckers.com …070910_cityscap​e-0006.jpg (external link) (just linked as it's only an example)

also like this one which is slightly before blue hour (no deep blue sky) http://stuff.planetsla​ckers.com …1_citykangaroop​t-0001.jpg (external link)

But as mentioned above, keep at it... I still go out of my way to get the 'perfect' capture... it's all learning eh? :D

I find f/10 f/11 is usually enough, and anything past 15 seconds means it's probably a wee bit dark :)

Look forward to more :)

Feng
Using a 5DII + Other Bits & Pieces
Brisbane Coffee Club - Everything From Shutters to Cuppas... Take 2
**** POTNAC Servaas Group Buy - Mark III - Arrived & Packing! ****

Scott ­ H
THREAD ­ STARTER
434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 08, 2008 01:56 |  #6

Thanks for all the replies guys, will definately have another go at it tomorrow or something. I think the reason I have been using the really tight apetures was to achieve the 'points' around the light.

And probably my lens isnt quite up to the task. Anyway, will give it another go and show you my results.

Definately need a remote button as I got sick of holding down the button with my finger to get a 2min+ exposure. Kind of thinking of a Macgyver style rig to hold the button down!

Cheers guys,

-Scott

I shoot with a Canon 7D

Amfamora
692 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 08, 2008 05:00 |  #7

This was my attempt from the top of the cliffs a few weeks back...

http://img.photobucket​.com …a/BrisbaneTweak​ed1024.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

7D Gripped - 15-85mm IS - 70-200mm f4 L IS - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - Wigma 10-20mm - YN465 & YN560 Speedlites x2 - BX500Ri

My Gallery (external link)

Scott ­ H
THREAD ­ STARTER
434 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 08, 2008 22:01 as a reply to  @ Amfamora's post |  #8

Nice shot Amfamora, did you stitch that together or was it a top & bottom crop?

I am thinking about buying a wider lens so that I can get some nice cityscapes.

-Scott

I shoot with a Canon 7D

Amfamora
692 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 09, 2008 00:24 |  #9

Just a Top and Bottom Crop :)

7D Gripped - 15-85mm IS - 70-200mm f4 L IS - Sigma 30mm f1.4 - Wigma 10-20mm - YN465 & YN560 Speedlites x2 - BX500Ri

My Gallery (external link)

catacon
351 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 09, 2008 18:42 as a reply to  @ Amfamora's post |  #10

Nice set OP. The last two are really cool.

5DmkII | Gripped 5DC | Canon 17-40mm f/4L | Σ 85 f/1.4 | Σ 50 f/1.4 | 430EX II

No power in this verse can stop me!

sponsored links

1,687 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kangaroo Point Cliffs, Brisbane
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Urban Life & Travel 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.