Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Mar 2008 (Saturday) 22:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Value of the US Dollar ???

rennwerkes
338 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 08, 2008 22:46 |  #1

I was just wondering, with the value of the dollar in the dumps wouldn't you think everyone out of country would be jumping at stuff for sale here on the selling forum and elsewhere like Ebay? But it doesn't seem to be that way. What's up with that?

sponsored links
Ronald ­ S. ­ Jr.
Prodigal "Brick" Layer
16,481 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 08, 2008 23:22 |  #2

they still have to pay import tax and various other fees. Probably still not worth it.

Mac users swear by their computers. PC users swear at theirs.

SlowBlink
"I like dog butts"
1,926 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 08, 2008 23:24 |  #3

I've bought a couple things as a result of the exchange rate but shipping usually eats any savings.

Rob
Anatidaephobia - The Fear That You are Being Watched by a Duck.

Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
42,735 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Mar 08, 2008 23:43 as a reply to  @ SlowBlink's post |  #4

What we may see eventually is people from outside the US coming here to shop. I don't see that benefiting the used market, but places like B&H will enjoy the windfall.

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

rennwerkes
THREAD ­ STARTER
338 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 08, 2008 23:43 |  #5

Shucks, when the Euro/Dollar rate was the other way around I was going crazy with Euro stuff and years ago when the Dollar/Yen ratio was nearly double I was buying all kinds of things from Japan! Even with shipping it was worth it. Maybe products in the US just aren't worth it.
I was buying high end Japanese audio products and high end humidors from Italy. Maybe photo equipment here isn't that big a difference even with the current exchange rate.

rennwerkes
THREAD ­ STARTER
338 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 08, 2008 23:45 |  #6

belmondo wrote in post #5076857 (external link)
What we may see eventually is people from outside the US coming here to shop. I don't see that benefiting the used market, but places like B&H will enjoy the windfall.

We see that in Hawaii constantly. Mainly Japanese tourists dropping BIG dollars at high end boutiques like Louis vuitton and similar. They lay down hundred dollar bills like they're dollar bills! LOL!

Jonathan
Cream of the Crop
7,019 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 09, 2008 00:50 |  #7

Buying on the used market is not as "clean" a transaction as buying from a shop. If I buy used, I'd like it to be in the same country as I am in, just in case something goes wrong. Also the warranty may not be there and, at the end of the day, it's used goods. With the differential in price betyween new and used camera kit, often, used is just not appealing.

People in Europe will buy new camera stuff from the US if import duties and VAT plus shipping do not eat the potential savings. Buying used? I think not.

"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet" - Winston Churchill

My blog siteexternal link
My Gear List
My Flickrexternal link

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 09, 2008 04:23 |  #8

Dollar has been at or close to £1/$2 for a year now. I dunno if it is changing that much. I am considering a trip to NYC in advance of my next Africa jaunt. Reason is that I will likely save easily $2000 on gear, so effectlively a free 3-4 day holiday plus some nice change and I could get to meet lots of cool POTN people (Ok, maybe 2-3!)

I would save even more if I bought SH thinking about it :D Anyone selling a 5D mk II, 300mm IS L 2.8, 1.4 and 2.0 TCons, 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, Markins M20? :lol::lol:

lemminglover wrote in post #5077068 (external link)
People in Europe will buy new camera stuff from the US if import duties and VAT plus shipping do not eat the potential savings. Buying used? I think not.

I would buy used but only from very select people. But whether new or used, adding 25% on for VAT, Duty and any collection fee usually eats any benefit ... esp. if you also factor in the possible warrenty return hassles on new stuff.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

ricoche
59 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 09, 2008 07:10 |  #9

My wife has been buying US dollars here in Japan and has been doing very well with that for the past 15 years. I keep trying to buy camera gear, but she just keeps telling me to buy money instead. <grin>

My Flickr (external link) | Jim Atwood Photography (external link) | Flickr Photoshoot Japan Admin

rklepper
Dignity-Esteem-Compassion
8,994 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Location: No longer living at the center of the known universe, moved just slightly to the right. Iowa, USA.

Mar 09, 2008 20:28 |  #10

I have relatives overseas who do just that. Not for photo gear, but other things. The exchange rate gets them a free trip and still lower prices.

Doc Klepper in the USA
I
am a photorealist, I like my photos with a touch of what was actually there.
Polite C&C always welcome, Thanks. Gear List

Darsk47
Goldmember
4,261 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 09, 2008 21:24 |  #11

Try and get across a bridge on a weekend in Windsor, Sarnia, Niagara Falls or Fort Erie. They go to Michigan and Western NY from Ontario. Major waits most of the time - and then again on Sunday homeward bound. Due to the Canuck-buck = US Buck. The last 4-5 months or so is the best it has been since the mid-70s.

Darcy
5DIII, 7D, 30D, 24-70 2.8IIL, 85MM 1.2 II
L; 70-200 2.8L IS; 580EX II; a hearty laugh;
Pair of AB 800s & lots of other stuff 'n' junk.
POTN Fantasy Football; aka Wide Right (charter member & perennial also ran)

cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 09, 2008 21:31 |  #12

US sellers need to be willing to sell to you. That is sometimes not the case.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

Primm
787 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 09, 2008 22:27 |  #13

cosworth wrote in post #5082232 (external link)
US sellers need to be willing to sell to you. That is sometimes not the case.

That's been my experience. Sometimes it's been an email backwards and forwards, until finally the seller just says "nah, can't be bothered".

I'm not sure what the problem is. If you accept Paypal or Google checkout, you get the same funds in your local currency. The only difference is that you have to write a slightly longer address on the label when you post it! Same packaging whether you post across the country or across the sea.

Don't know about "eventually" Tom, I'm pretty sure it's happening already! I know a lot of us Aussies are buying from B&H because even allowing for import duty and taxes, with the USD the way it is at the moment you can still pick up a 5D or high end lens for many hundreds of dollars less than you can get one locally. I'd like to see the demographics of B&H buyers at the moment and compare to a year or so, or a couple of years ago.

Ruth.
20D
+ 400mm f/5.6 L + 300mm f/4 L IS + 70-200 f/4 L + 17-40mm f/4 L + 50mm 1.8
Click Here and Join the POTN flickr Group Today! (external link)

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
20,883 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 09, 2008 22:38 |  #14

as a canadian i prefer to buy new from b+h even with shipping i save 13% tax on a 40d plus $200.00 and i don't have to chase an unknown seller who wants slightly less money,for something used

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

haisai-ojisan
207 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 10, 2008 00:24 |  #15

rennwerkes wrote in post #5076865 (external link)
We see that in Hawaii constantly. Mainly Japanese tourists dropping BIG dollars at high end boutiques like Louis vuitton and similar. They lay down hundred dollar bills like they're dollar bills! LOL!

I'm an American that has lived in Japan for a very long time. The weak dollar is a serious blow to us that get payed in US dollars, that live here and have to pay most expenses in Yen.

You pretty much said it. I think many Japanese are willing to pay for what they want. And spilling out the 100's may not mean as much to them as it would the average American.

Someone mentioned about having to pay import tax. That is true and can be expensive and a big time delay at customs and etc. I sold, through ebay, a SIGMA lens to a guy in Italy. If I remember correctly, he payed about $90 for shipping and handling and it took almost a whole month to get there.

My personal opinion: I am willing to shell out a few extra bucks (normally a huge few) for quality. Nothing against our American made products, but since I have the choice, I prefer to buy a Japanese made Canon. This may be the same for many other foreigners too.

5D and a bunch of other stuff!
Blog (external link)

sponsored links

1,593 views & 0 likes for this thread
Value of the US Dollar ???
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.