Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Mar 2008 (Monday) 10:21
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Non-Canon ("Marumi") Ring Flash

puttick
809 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2002

Mar 10, 2008 10:21 |  #1

Has anyone tried one of these? At £100 it seems too cheap to be any good, but who knows?

It says "dedicated to digital SLRs" but doesn't state if eTTL compatible.

http://www.7dayshop.co​m …=777_1&products​_id=103779 (external link)

Nigel

Nigel Puttick
North Yorkshire, UK

sponsored links
drPheta
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 10, 2008 12:19 |  #2

I'd also be interested, cause my friend is on a tight budget and could use a ring flash to mate to her non-macro (but macro capable) lens... and if it can mount to even an 18-55 or 28-135 it'd be a sweet cheap alternative.

- my vimeo - (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,549 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 13, 2008 18:57 |  #3

I just brought home a Marumi DRF14C this afternoon, it was 140 EUR locally.

It is eTTL compatible and any controls are actually on-camera, none on the Marumi, except for the on/off switch, the ready light and the OK light which reports a successful exposure after the shot (i.e. it confirms that you were within the flash working distance). Therefore, no LCD display on the flash main unit.

The build and finish are quite good, in fact I was pleasantly surprised, considered the price. The flash is single ring tube and by design the lighting effect is flat and shadowless (good for some scientific and dental work, I presume) but by masking part of the ring I was able to get a nice amount of shadows on my first try. Changing the shadow amount on a per-shot basis would be cumbersome compared to the twin tube power ratio control of the Sigma or Canon ringlights, of course. Flash Exposure Control from my 30D works well but I have still to try the balancing between ambient light and flash. There are no modelling lights.

The threaded connection rings on the flash head are made of aluminium and there is a protruding knurled ring to turn and screw the head onto the lens (no need to turn the whole head to attach). Not as fast and confortable as a quick connection, but no real problem either. A piece of cake, in fact, compared to setting up some macro lighting rigs I've seen. When mounted, the flash head turns, so I'm able to position the shadow mask at any angle. The main body has a hot-shoe locking ring.

The base threaded ring attachment is 52mm (right for my EF-S 60mm Macro) and step-up adaptor rings for 58, 62 and 67mm filter screw sizes are supplied with the unit.

Two models are available, one Canon eTTL/eTTL II compatible and the other for Nikon iTTL. The compatible EOS cameras listed are 5D, 20D, 30D, 300D (DRebel), 350D (Rebel XT), 400D (Rebel XTi), D30 and D60.

Pending real-life testing, it seems an adequate entry level macro flash for someone who, like myself, doesn't know how far this macrophotography thing may eventually take him.

Spaced_K
105 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 14, 2008 07:19 as a reply to  @ agedbriar's post |  #4

Ive been looking at a Macro flash (£300 for a Canon one seems a bit steep when that the price of a lens !!!) and this seems ideal.

Id love to see some example pics from this ... or pics of the actual flash as the ones on the site arent that informative.

Cheers mate.

EDIT : Just see nthis for sale in the US for £55 !!!! But it is branded BOWER. Not fair.

Canon 5D MkII + not as much Glass
: Click For My Wedding Pics : (external link)
: Click For My Flickr Pics : (external link)
: Click For My Gear :

roman_t
Cream of the Crop
5,270 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 14, 2008 07:40 |  #5

"But it is branded BOWER." - thats the one i have from bh. its fun with fifty.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,549 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 14, 2008 09:01 |  #6

Yes, the Bower SFDRL14C from the B&H product shot here

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …acro_Ringlight_​Flash.html (external link)

and the Marumi DRF14C on my desk definitely look like the same product. The specifications match too, except for the Bower having the 55mm Lens Adapter Ring added as well. Unless that's the base conection (the 52mm size, on the other hand, is not specified on the B&H site!), in which case the Bower would not fit the EF-S 60mm macro.

roman_t will be able to clarify this question.

I'll post some pictures as soon as possible.

roman_t
Cream of the Crop
5,270 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 14, 2008 10:12 |  #7

yes its has 52mm base and 4 adapters to 55, 58, 62, 67mm. there're battery "ready" and exposure "ok" LEDs and on/off switch and test button.
i shot in av mode and histogram was nominal. i shoot macro quite seldom so this cheap ring is fine for my needs.

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,549 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 14, 2008 12:41 |  #8

Here's one from my first attempts. The bottom of the ringflash was masked. Sorry, not bugs yet around here :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Spaced_K
105 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 14, 2008 12:45 |  #9

agedbriar wrote in post #5115158 (external link)
Here's one from my first attempts. The bottom of the ringflash was masked. Sorry, not bugs yet around here :)

In the words of Shakin Stevens ... Lovely Stuff.
Nice even amount of light for the money.
Now to save up for that and the 100mm Macro.

Canon 5D MkII + not as much Glass
: Click For My Wedding Pics : (external link)
: Click For My Flickr Pics : (external link)
: Click For My Gear :

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,408 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Mar 14, 2008 13:45 |  #10

The user review for the Bower at B&H claims it won't work with the 40D but will work with the 20D?
No idea why this should be the case?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,549 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 14, 2008 15:59 |  #11

Indeed, the 40D is not included in the Marumi's EOS cameras list [5D, 20D, 30D, 300D (DRebel), 350D (Rebel XT), 400D (Rebel XTi), D30 and D60].

I put that to the list not being up to date, but then, why are the contemporary 1D bodies omitted as well?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 14, 2008 16:01 |  #12

http://www.studiolight​ing.net …ng-flash-for-canon-nikon/ (external link)

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 03, 2009 17:02 |  #13

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #5115506 (external link)
The user review for the Bower at B&H claims it won't work with the 40D but will work with the 20D?
No idea why this should be the case?

I just read the reviews at B&H, and more than one person is using it on a 40D. Just ordered one (could not help it, since it costs $127.00 including S&H to Alaska).

7D, 5DII

Azyiu
56 posts
Joined May 2009

May 04, 2009 09:13 |  #14

agedbriar wrote in post #5110577 (external link)
The base threaded ring attachment is 52mm (right for my EF-S 60mm Macro) and step-up adaptor rings for 58, 62 and 67mm filter screw sizes are supplied with the unit.

Darn it, the adaptor ring won't fit a 77mm? I have a 70-200mm and a 17-40mm, guess I don't even need to think about this ring flash... :(

Canon 30D | 70-200L f/2.8 | 17-40L f/4 | 50 f/1.4 | 2x Extender | 580EX |

My DA page: http://azyiu.deviantar​t.com (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,549 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 04, 2009 14:10 |  #15

Previously, I failed to also mention the adaptor size 55mm, I'm sorry. Anyway, the 77mm is definitely not there.

If somehow made to fit a 77mm filter screw, there might be vignetting problems, as the shoot-through hole has a diameter of 49mm and is 13mm deep before spreading out.

sponsored links

10,836 views & 0 likes for this thread
Non-Canon ("Marumi") Ring Flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.