Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 12 Mar 2008 (Wednesday) 08:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom - This Drives Me Nuts!

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 12, 2008 17:25 |  #16

I agree with OP. I've gotten used to it, but it still creates unnecessary mouse movement and clicks.

I don't know how many photogs would actually work from different folders at once, unless they have some overly complex organization system. For me, everything from an event goes in a folder and I work on that event. When I'm done with that event, I move on to the next event, which is in another folder.

Assuming people are going to be working on many folders at once was like most other assumptions.

Based on the many advanced programs Adobe has on the market, I don't buy into the "they couldn't figure out how to let us choose."

For the record, I like Lightroom...mostly. I just don't like the defensive excuse-making.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Victoria ­ Bampton
Goldmember
1,367 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 12, 2008 19:47 |  #17

The majority of Pro Photographers I work with on a daily basis work off multiple folders in one go, for example processing multiple portrait sessions which are in folders by customer identity. That's not to say that a massive proportion of LR users work that way, but the functionality has to be robust enough to cover such situations, as people would also complain about that.

Who said...

cdifoto wrote in post #5102842 (external link)
"they couldn't figure out how to let us choose."

then? I didn't! They know how to do it, no question, but as with everything, there are limits to what you can do in a reasonable length of time. If they'd waited until everything was exactly the way they wanted, LR wouldn't be shipping yet. I'm not here to make excuses by any means, and I'm not on the Adobe payroll, before anyone asks, but we do have to be a little realistic. If a missing feature is important to you, add your voice via the Feature Requests page here: http://www.adobe.com …m/index.cfm?nam​e=wishform (external link)

But yes, I agree it's a high priority for a lot of people, myself included, and the sooner it's added, the better.

Victoria :D
Lightroom Queen website (external link)
Free & Comprehensive Lightroom Books (external link)
Free List of Lightroom Keyboard Shortcuts (external link)

davidcrebelxt
Goldmember
3,016 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 13, 2008 12:19 |  #18

Just looked into the SDK thing last night.
Went to Adobe's Lightroom SDK forum (not very many posts there, BTW.)

Apparently theres some people trying to do this, but the API for Lightroom doesn't have any variables to return the full path of the image you are exporting (if it did, you could have the export be placed in the same folder with a unique name.) Those on the board report that all they can find is one that returns only last folder of the path, not the entire tree.

I find this strange actually, since you can obviously right click on an image and have windows open the containing folder... so that full path is there. Why don't we have access to it? Unless those working on this are missing something, LR's API just won't let them do it currently.

David C.
Equipment: Canon Dig. Rebel XT; 18-55mm EF-S; 28-105mm EF; 50mm 1.8 EF
Sigma ef-500 DG ST, Elements, Gimp, Lightroom
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/dcrebelxt (external link)

taygull
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,091 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 13, 2008 12:42 |  #19

If they give us features we "really need" then we won't buy the upgrade.

www.chrisfritchiestudi​os.com (external link)
McKinney, TX

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,103 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom - This Drives Me Nuts!
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.