Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 15 Mar 2008 (Saturday) 17:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Wedding pic help, which lenses?

ForumForker
690 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 15, 2008 17:55 |  #1

Here is another fine mess I've gotten into. I agreed to shoot wedding pics for a friend this summer. I have done this twice before,(different friends) but I am still not comfortable doing it. I have a 20D, and I have a 1D MK III on order. The only lenses I have are a 24-105L and a 70-200 non- is. Recommendations would be much appreciated. My thoughts are that I need something for low light situations. Thanks!

sponsored links
Zonieart
601 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 15, 2008 18:14 |  #2

I'd suggest you find out where the venue is and then examine the lighting and space available. See if you can get inside and take a few test shots. You might be just fine. The 24-105 is not very wide on a 20D, but if you are creative with group shots, you can probably get by just fine. Always remember there are lots of places that will rent lenses and you can get wider angle and faster lenses for the shot this way.

Retired and Loving it!

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 15, 2008 18:18 |  #3

I'd probably recommend renting the 17-55 IS USM unless you plan on shooting with your 1D3. The 2.8 and IS will help you out with the lighting and the 17-24mm range will help provide the wide shots for the groups/tables.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 15, 2008 18:18 |  #4

The 1DMkIII will be fine with the 24-105, but the truth is, the faster lenses will serve you much better. I shoot weddings and events and finally decided over a year ago to go with the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 IS. I have 2 bodies and those lenses, except for when I do portraits or close-ups, I use the 85 1.8 usually. If you keep the 20D, put the 70-200 on it and use the 24-105 with the 1DMkIII. Make sure you have a good flash for night-time shooting. Fill-flash may also be necessary no matter what with the f4 lenses. I highly recommend you practice a lot.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

JCheungPhoto
Goldmember
1,338 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 15, 2008 21:11 |  #5

ForumForker wrote in post #5122497 (external link)
Here is another fine mess I've gotten into. I agreed to shoot wedding pics for a friend this summer. I have done this twice before,(different friends) but I am still not comfortable doing it. I have a 20D, and I have a 1D MK III on order. The only lenses I have are a 24-105L and a 70-200 non- is. Recommendations would be much appreciated. My thoughts are that I need something for low light situations. Thanks!

Buy or Rent:
-50 f/1.4 USM (great lens for natural light stuff)
-15 f/2.8 Fisheye (when mounted on a 1.3x or 1.6x sensor body, makes a great lens for a single subject with distorted edges, it's m favorite wedding lens)
-Speedlite 580EXII

My suggestions/comments:

for that 20D: EF 70-200 and 15mm FE
for that 1D MkIII: EF 24-105 and 50 prime/ 17-40L (either or)
The 24-105 should be wide enough for group shots, unless this is a massive wedding, if that's the case the 17-40L is a great lens to have. Flash is absolutely essential btw...the fisheye is great for the occasional shot, the distortion around the edges, keep the dead center fairly proportional and really does work to isolate the subject.
Finally, relax...no wedding is easy and they all can be nerve-wracking

gear
freewebs.com/jcheungph​otography

"prior planning prevents piss-poor performance"

samnz
Goldmember
1,315 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 15, 2008 22:24 |  #6

ForumForker wrote in post #5122497 (external link)

I'm so tempted to say - don't do it. Only because you mentioned you're "still not comfortable with it..." and that's after two previous weddings.

If you want to spend money on gear - buy it for yourself and not a friend's wedding. By what you need to supplement your needs, in-general. That is unless - you want to pursue weddings as a profession...or make a profit from it.

I don't suppose it's too late to approach your friends and say you're willing to do 'snap shots' here and there...or is this their intention?

Friendships are worth more than a $1000 lens (or whatever)...especially when you're 'not comfortable doing it'.

fwiw = 50/1.4 :)

SAM
Gear

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 15, 2008 22:35 |  #7

1. Get a tripod for the 70-200 during the ceremony (or trade up for the f/2.8 IS), or get an 85mm f/1.8.

2. Buy an external flash if you don't already have one, and learn to use it effectively.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

sponsored links

1,022 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wedding pic help, which lenses?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.