Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 17 Mar 2008 (Monday) 23:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pelican 1624 (1620 case w/ 1625 Padded Dividers) Black Case Review

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 17, 2008 23:11 |  #1

Okay, since no one else would buy one of these awesome cases and do a review here I am, taking one for the team, doing a review the best way I know how. Throughout the review I will make links to as many things as I can so if any of your are interested you have a reference as to what the heck it is I am talking about. I will also try to include as many images as I can to illustrate all the points I make and things I note. So with all that said, lets begin.

First off the preluding details: I wanted a case to hold all my gear safely, securely and in some style ;). I, like many others here was torn between the Pelican 1650 (external link) with the 1655 padded dividers (external link) (combo being the Pelican 1654 (external link)) and the Pelican 1620 (external link) case with the 1625 padded dividers (external link) (combo being the Pelican 1624 (external link)). After searching all over the net and asking among all the great people here on POTN for someone who owns this case to post some pics of it and not coming up with any results I finally made a choice and went with the Pelican 1624. I think the final deciding factor for me was the double layer padded dividers. I have a lot of little items that I wanted to store and it really looked like that top "tray" would hold nicely. I ended up ordering it HERE (external link) from B&H Photo Video and had it shipped the slowest, cheapest possible way for a total of $315.66. The case itself was $290.61 and shipping to CA was $25.05 via UPS ground.

Here is their stock image for the item:

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/179135.jpg

Took over a week to get, but its here now! So here we go:

Upon getting it home and out of the box this is what it looked like:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

sponsored links
ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 17, 2008 23:12 |  #2

The first thing I noticed on the back was a little yellow with red writing sticker that denoted where the slide latch was to raise and lower the handle. Its a spring loaded slide latch and is very easy to slide over and move the free sliding handle in and out. Then in the next picture I finally got to see that the padded dividers I has stared at online for so long finally looked like.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 17, 2008 23:12 |  #3

Heres a couple more shots of the padded dividers out including one of the top padded divider tray removed.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 17, 2008 23:12 |  #4

Now, ordering and opening were the easy parts... I spent the next several hours moving, measuring, placing, thinking and replacing all my gear. The next three shots show all the gear I was hoping this case would hold all nicely packed inside and organized. The first one shows the top layer and deeper side sections filled. One thing I wanted to note here is that there is Velcro on either side of the top tray to hold it in once its set down. Hope that makes sense. You can see from the Red labels what each item is.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 17, 2008 23:13 |  #5

And what it looks like with the top tray removed is shown below. I want to note also that my second body someday when I decide on something will go next to the 5D to the left in place of the Velbon Super Mag macro focusing rail. Also I forgot to write it in the image, but the 100 2.8 macro lens does have the lens hood on and reversed and the tripod ring is on it as well. Lastly I wanted to show how much this beast weighed fully loaded since I knew someone sooner or later would ask.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 17, 2008 23:13 |  #6

I am also still kicking around this option (the Pelican 1609 Photo Lid Organizer): LINK (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/216908.jpg

But am worried that items in those pouches might scratch items in the top tray plus I do not know if the back of the net is padded to still provide padding against the top lid. Ill have to do a little more research on this accessory but luckily I know of some POTN member who already have these and can answer those questions.

Anyway, hope this little review helped some of you figure out what it was you want to buy. I know how stressful it can be and in this hobby its especially hard because we cant all drive down to the local camera shop and take a look at all the things we are interested in buying. Its the work of others doing things like this that make forums like POTN truely stand out and be of great worth to so many out there. This is my way of giving a little back. Please feel free to ask me anything you like about the case and I will do my best to answer and provide more pictures if needed. Thanks everyone and happy shooting! :)

zeva
Goldmember
2,533 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 17, 2008 23:25 |  #7

60 LBS?!?!?!

40D :20D: Speedlite 430ex
100-400 F/4.5-5.6 L :17-55 F/2.8 IS :28-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS: 18-55 F/3.5-5.6: 10-22 F/3.5-4.5: 70-200 F/2.8 IS

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 17, 2008 23:30 |  #8

zeva wrote in post #5137825 (external link)
60 LBS?!?!?!

I believe the empty case alone is 22lbs. You also have to figure that I do not intend to take this anywhere traveling. I just kinda wanted a really nice case to securely store my equipment at home. And I guess if I ever really need to have everything with me I supposed I could use this case to carry it all as well, but that wasnt my original intention. If I did though... well lets just say thats what the wheels are for! ;)

zeva
Goldmember
2,533 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 17, 2008 23:39 |  #9

Lol that would e an intresting carry on!

40D :20D: Speedlite 430ex
100-400 F/4.5-5.6 L :17-55 F/2.8 IS :28-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS: 18-55 F/3.5-5.6: 10-22 F/3.5-4.5: 70-200 F/2.8 IS

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 18, 2008 09:49 |  #10

I will be getting one of these shortly too. To store in the house. Not to carry around. Looks like you made a great decision to get this.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 18, 2008 09:54 |  #11

slimninj4 wrote in post #5140083 (external link)
I will be getting one of these shortly too. To store in the house. Not to carry around. Looks like you made a great decision to get this.

Yep, thats what mine is for. Hope this review helped you! :)

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 18, 2008 10:13 |  #12

You don't think this is too boxy is it? Looks very squarish! I can't recall carry-on dimensions but can this fit as a carry-on?

On the other hand, awesome pics/review.

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 18, 2008 10:42 |  #13

This is definitely NOT a carry-on. The Pelican 1520's about the largest bag that you can have reasonable assurance (external link) you can carry on board.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
2,279 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 18, 2008 10:46 |  #14

Jon wrote in post #5140382 (external link)
This is definitely NOT a carry-on. The Pelican 1520's about the largest bag that you can have reasonable assurance (external link) you can carry on board.

I'm sure if you say it's a booster seat you can get away with it. :rolleyes:

I figured it wasn't a carry-on standard but you never know what you can sneak on the planes. Although this will need some expert sneaking.

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

ben_r_
THREAD ­ STARTER
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 18, 2008 12:58 |  #15

nutsnbolts wrote in post #5140210 (external link)
You don't think this is too boxy is it? Looks very squarish! I can't recall carry-on dimensions but can this fit as a carry-on?

On the other hand, awesome pics/review.

Um, I think its about the same boxyness that the 1654 is going to have... And no this can not be taken on a plane as a carry on.

sponsored links

52,750 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pelican 1624 (1620 case w/ 1625 Padded Dividers) Black Case Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.