Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 20 Mar 2008 (Thursday) 21:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sharpening Chart - Helpful Settings

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 20, 2008 21:26 |  #1

When I started processing files from my first dSLR just two years ago, I was baffled by the concept of sharpening.

Why was it necessary? What was wrong with my lenses that they didn't produce sharp pictures? I never had this problem with film, so what settings do I need to use now? My 5D produces terrific pictures with it's "L" lens right out of the card so why do I even need to do this?

With the help of Amazon.com, by credit card and Scott Kelby's very helpful book "The Photoshop CS2 Book for Digital Photographers" I started gaining a better understanding of this concept. To speed up my workflow, I used Kelby's suggested settings in a job aid that I put together for myself, summarizing the main points in the chart below.

As Kelby points out, these are his suggested settings and you may want to experiment to suit your tastes. I hope you find this chart useful. - Stu

==>

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

sponsored links
LeesaB
"Patience is a what? "
14,682 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 20, 2008 21:46 |  #2

this could be a little card we all pring out and keep with us..

YES! I could use this.

LeesaB
www.LisaNikole.com (external link)
ME (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,302 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 20, 2008 23:23 |  #3

That's a great starting point!

As Kelby points out, these are his suggested settings and you may want to experiment to suit your tastes.

As you point out, experimenting is a good thing for everyone to do. For instance, for a typical web image, I start with 100 0.7 1. For a print, I might start with 100 1.1 1.

Sometimes I'll select an area & just sharpen that.
Selecting areas in PS.

For anyone who wants to read more about other settings/methods, look at the "Sticky"s for FAQs & sharpening threads.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

joayne
Cream of the Crop
12,463 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 20, 2008 23:28 |  #4

Fantastic starting points. No hundred images are alike.. but 2 may be really similar :)

I find that I use my *standard* setting 80% of the time, but boy the ones that do not fit the standard are really interesting.. and different :)

joayne Contribute to POTN | Where's Nifty?! #2 |Nifty Sign Up List| Worldwide Photo Week

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 21, 2008 02:24 |  #5

This is awesome, thanks for posting the link in the sharpening thread! The more we get up there, the more useful it is as a sticky.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Grace
something cute
7,629 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 21, 2008 06:16 |  #6

How nice! :)

Thanks!

- Grace -

Tommy
I have a Peepster.
2,262 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 21, 2008 07:28 |  #7

Nice post Stu! I have that same book from Kelby... love it!

Tommy

rdsmith3
690 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 21, 2008 08:15 as a reply to  @ Tommy's post |  #8

This is for Unsharp Mask? (what a paradoxical name)

Anyone use Smart Sharpen? I just started using that, and I like it.

Bob Gear List

The eye is the lamp of the body; so then if your eye is clear, your whole body will be full of light. But if your eye is bad, your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light that is in you is darkness, how great is the darkness! (Matt. 6:22-23)

Bollan
635 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 21, 2008 08:19 |  #9

Great post and thanks for sharing!!

My Gear
My Equestrian Gallery (external link)
My Flickr (external link)

nursek
262 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 21, 2008 09:45 |  #10

this is definately some usefull information that we can all apply! thanks :)

Specializing in newborns, children & family portraitures
Please LIKE my facebook page! https://www.facebook.c​om/cathykamphotography (external link)

Check out my BLOG! http://www.cathykampho​tography.com (external link)

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 21, 2008 12:32 |  #11

sweet. looks like a handy little chart.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 21, 2008 15:28 |  #12

I kept on referencing Kelby's handy book so much the pages were getting dog-eared. Plus it was taking up too much space with all the post it notes. My laminated card will be a lot handier :D.

Rakefet wrote in post #5158878 (external link)
this could be a little card we all pring out and keep with us..

YES! I could use this.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

Nanboh
614 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 21, 2008 16:00 |  #13

Hey Stu
Thanks so much for putting this together. I've printed it off and will save it in for frequent reference. I tend to undersharpen all the time--this may help me risk more!
Thanks
Nancy

Canon EOS 5D Mark II | Fujifilm X-E1 X-T1 X100 | Fujifilm Fujinon XF 35mm f/1.4 R Fujinon XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 R LM OIS XF 55-200mm f/3.5-4.8 R LM OIS | Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM EF 135mm f/2L USM EF 85mm f/1.8 USM EF 17-40mm f/4L USM EF 70-200mm f/4L USM EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

BillyR
216 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 21, 2008 16:17 |  #14

Thanks for this chart, which I will also laminate and keep nearby. I would also suggest creating actions for each of the outputs, which will simplify matters even more.

There is another aspect to sharpening that I haven't seen mentioned in this book (although I haven't gotten very far into it), but is used in Kelby's "7 Point System Book," and that is the additional step of "Fade Unsharp Mask," or Smart Sharpen, or whichever you use. According to Kelby, this step will reduce or eliminate the color halos that sharpening sometimes causes. It is done by, immediately after the sharpening, go to the Edit menu, choose Fade Unsharp Mask, choose Luminosity from the Mode popup menu and click OK. If you do anything else after the sharpening step the choice will disappear from the Edit menu. It's several extra steps, and all the more reason to incorporate it in an action rather than doing it yourself every time.

EOS 5D, 5D MK II, 20D
24-105L, 17-85 EF-S IS, 70-300 IS, 18-55, Sigma 12-24.
2-EX 580s, LC-5 Wireless Controller, ST-E2 Wireless Transmitter

sapearl
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
15,570 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 21, 2008 17:15 |  #15

In one of my previous lives I was a forms designer in our corporation. People were always coming to my group with the craziest requests for the most complicated forms.

Well, I subscribe to the school of less is more. On the subject of reference forms and charts, my feeling is that it's a lousy form if you can't glance at it and get the information you need pretty quickly. I tried to use that philosophy on this little job aid.;)

PhotosGuy wrote in post #5159329 (external link)
That's a great starting point! As you point out, experimenting is a good thing for everyone to do. For instance, for a typical web image, I start with 100 0.7 1. For a print, I might start with 100 1.1 1.

Sometimes I'll select an area & just sharpen that.

For anyone who wants to read more about other settings/methods, look at the "Sticky"s for FAQs & sharpening threads.

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

31,465 views & 1 like for this thread
Sharpening Chart - Helpful Settings
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.