Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 22 Mar 2008 (Saturday) 00:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

b+w c-pL filters

Jay ­ T
463 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 22, 2008 00:40 |  #1

I'm shopping around for a B+W c-pl filter, is the mrc and the f-pro the same thing or is the f-pro the newer model? Somebody please set me straight.I will get the better of the two Thanks.:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

1DX\ 5diii gripped \ tokina 12-24 f/4 /sigma 24-60 f2.8 \ \ sigma 120-300 OS \ sigma 50 f1.4 \ canon 500 f4 IS \ canon1.4 III tc \ canon 2xii tc \sigma 2x dg tc \ 580ex \ 2x 430ex flickr (external link)

sponsored links
jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2008 01:14 |  #2

MRC refers to the multicoating on the filter. FPro is the ring mount thickness. It is thicker than the slim mount but thinner than the standard mount. I would recommend a MRC CPL. But, the ring mount version depends on your lens and camera. Slim if you are going to use the CPL on an ultra wide lens and a full format camera. Otherwise, an FPro version will probably work. They also have the Kaeseman and non-Kaeseman version CPLs. The KSM version is better because it is sealed to protect against harsh conditions.

Jim

My Gear

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2008 07:11 as a reply to  @ jhom's post |  #3

What Jim said is mostly correct. If you use the B+W F-Pro CPL, you will not need the slim version on your ultrawide (unless you happen to have the 16-35L and a FF camera). I've used the F-Pro CPL with my 10-22/30D and the 5D/17-40L with no vignetting whatsoever. There are couple of recent threads on POTN discussing this matter...do a search and you'll find them. Also, with ultrawides, you will experience some light fall-off in the extreme corners (with or without a filter). Most people make the mistake of confusing this with vignetting. Its not...its just a trait that's common to ultrawides, but is very fixable with DPP.

But I have to clarify...I've only used the B+W F-Pro filters on the specific ultrawides that I mentioned above. If you use a different brand filter or a lens other than the Canon 10-22 or 17-40L, I can't vouch for the results.

The B+W F-Pro MRC polarizer is an excellent, high-qulaity filter. Generally, unless you're in severe conditions (high moisture/high humidity) you normally wouldn't have the need for the more expensive Kaesemann-style filter. However, if you buy from hvstar.net, the Kaesemann model is only about $10 more than the non-Kaesemann...in this case, I'd recommend spending the extra $10.

You don't state what lens it is that you need the filter for, but anyway here's a link for the 77mm B+W Kaesemann CPL (this should give you a general idea). Its a little expensive (once you get below 77mm, the price drops quite noticeably), but you'd be getting one of the highest quality filters (with brass rings) available that should last you for years to come:

http://hvstar.net …Action=VIEWPROD​&ProdID=36 (external link)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 22, 2008 08:03 |  #4

argyle wrote in post #5166338 (external link)
But I have to clarify...I've only used the B+W F-Pro filters on the specific ultrawides that I mentioned above. If you use a different brand filter or a lens other than the Canon 10-22 or 17-40L, I can't vouch for the results.

I can back him up on no vignetting at 10mm with the Canon 10-22 + B+W 77mm F-Pro Kaeseman Circular Polarizer _ ;)

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/smith_xt/image/94505999/original.jpg

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2008 11:06 |  #5

argyle and Tsmith... I'm curious. Is there any vignetting with an 82mm B+W FPro MRC CPL on a 16-35 f2.8L II with a full frame body?

Jim

My Gear

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 22, 2008 12:54 |  #6

jhom wrote in post #5167232 (external link)
argyle and Tsmith... I'm curious. Is there any vignetting with an 82mm B+W FPro MRC CPL on a 16-35 f2.8L II with a full frame body?

Yes there is. I had the B+W 82mm MRC F-Pro Kaeseman in my 16-35 II and 5D and got vignetting. I returned it and am still waiting for the slims to come back in stock but am considering just getting the non KSM version since the slim KSM version are and have been out of stock FOREVER!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2008 13:59 |  #7

ben_r_ wrote in post #5167736 (external link)
Yes there is. I had the B+W 82mm MRC F-Pro Kaeseman in my 16-35 II and 5D and got vignetting. I returned it and am still waiting for the slims to come back in stock but am considering just getting the non KSM version since the slim KSM version are and have been out of stock FOREVER!

Thanks ben_r_ for the information. That is what I thought would happen. It is the reason I purchased a slim version for the 16-35. I also got the non KSM version because the 82mm KSMs were nowhere to be found when I was looking for one. The non KSM works fine. However, I haven't used it in any really harsh conditions. No problems while shooting along the beaches in Kauai.

Jim

My Gear

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2008 14:02 |  #8

jhom wrote in post #5167232 (external link)

Jim: I ran a thread a while back about the slim filter myth (ie: you must use a slim filter on a UWA). While most agreed with the findings in the two posts above in this thread, several owners did confirm the fact that the 16-35L Mk II required a slim filter on a FF camera like the 5D. I personally don't own the lens, so I have to take what they said as truth.

GEAR LIST

jhom
Goldmember
1,320 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2008 14:43 |  #9

argyle wrote in post #5168019 (external link)
Jim: I ran a thread a while back about the slim filter myth (ie: you must use a slim filter on a UWA). While most agreed with the findings in the two posts above in this thread, several owners did confirm the fact that the 16-35L Mk II required a slim filter on a FF camera like the 5D. I personally don't own the lens, so I have to take what they said as truth.

argyle... thanks for the information. I don't have a ff body at this point to test the hypothesis. Regardless, since I have the slim version, I hope not to run into the problem. If it wasn't for the slipon cap, I would recommend the B+W MRC CPL without reservations. The detraction is the annoying slipon cap. I don't see why B+W cannot redesign their slim filters to accept a standard cap just like the Hoya Pro 1s can.

Jim

My Gear

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 22, 2008 15:01 |  #10

jhom wrote in post #5168203 (external link)
argyle... thanks for the information. I don't have a ff body at this point to test the hypothesis. Regardless, since I have the slim version, I hope not to run into the problem. If it wasn't for the slipon cap, I would recommend the B+W MRC CPL without reservations. The detraction is the annoying slipon cap. I don't see why B+W cannot redesign their slim filters to accept a standard cap just like the Hoya Pro 1s can.

I have the same problem with the Canon 15mm fisheye...the slip-on cap has barely enough friction to just keep it in place. When I travel with it, I have to keep a rubber band around the lens to keep it from slipping off...that front element is way exposed.

GEAR LIST

Jay ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 22, 2008 20:56 |  #11

thanks guys, I just ordered it. Tell me if this is the way to go, I,m gonna do some surfing pics next month, on the east coast in the morning sun at there back,is a b+w grad nd 502 dark grey the way to go. I'll be bringing my 70-200L +75-300 cheapo.I'm looking at tc's 1.4x . It's between the canon and the kinko 300 pro only because on slrgear.com they rate the kinko's image quality 9.25 to canon"s 9.20. Yeah I was surprised to.Plus the kinko will fit non-L lenses. Give me some feedback on this

1DX\ 5diii gripped \ tokina 12-24 f/4 /sigma 24-60 f2.8 \ \ sigma 120-300 OS \ sigma 50 f1.4 \ canon 500 f4 IS \ canon1.4 III tc \ canon 2xii tc \sigma 2x dg tc \ 580ex \ 2x 430ex flickr (external link)

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 22, 2008 21:45 |  #12

jhom wrote in post #5168003 (external link)
Thanks ben_r_ for the information. That is what I thought would happen. It is the reason I purchased a slim version for the 16-35. I also got the non KSM version because the 82mm KSMs were nowhere to be found when I was looking for one. The non KSM works fine. However, I haven't used it in any really harsh conditions. No problems while shooting along the beaches in Kauai.

Awesome, yea I have been waiting for the KSM slim to come back in stock for months now and nothing... EVERYONE is back ordered with no idea of a re-stocking date. I am thinking of going for the non KSM one from B&H for $200 and getting the B+W 82mm to 77mm step up ring to go with it. Hawaii would be about the "harshest climate" I would ever be in so thats good to know you had no problem. :)

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

Jay ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2008 00:52 |  #13

ben_r_ try hvstar.com

Jay ­ T
THREAD ­ STARTER
463 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 23, 2008 01:01 |  #14

ben_r_ its hvstar.net sorry, they don,t have it either

ben_r_
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 23, 2008 14:46 |  #15

Jay T wrote in post #5171579 (external link)
ben_r_ its hvstar.net sorry, they don,t have it either

Yea I know, I have been watching them too religiously!

sponsored links

1,898 views & 0 likes for this thread
b+w c-pL filters
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.