Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 26 Mar 2008 (Wednesday) 14:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CSI Boston :)

sfaust
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 26, 2008 14:43 |  #1

We did a recent shoot in the Boston area concentrating on a few different concepts all around a crime/action theme. It was a one day shoot where we covered three separate sets. We had a fairly large crew of 15, excellent models and talent, and a great location and props. Here are a few of the images we took that day for those interested. There are more behind the scenes shots and text on my blog at StephenFaust.wordpress​.com (external link) if you want more info on them.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

SWAT take down scene. It took a while to find all the props needed to make the SWAT uniforms. They are all authentic pieces with the exception of the helmets (novelty). The guns (P229 and AR15), holsters, tactical vests, badges, etc, are all real. The drugs and cash are fake (I think :) ) There is a third model behind the other two (sorry Carleen). Her arm will be removed in the final version since it doesn't make sense to keep it. We haven't done the hard post on it yet.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

This scene was probably the most fun for me. Jessica handled all the props and staged the entire scene while I was shooting the SWAT scene, while the assistants helped setup the lighting and equipment. She spent a lot of time making fake drugs, cash, blood, crime scene markers, a CSI equipment case filled with props, and so on. A ton of her work went into making it look believable. Then she asked me after the shoot, "Did I do ok. Did I help enough!". She exceeded my expectations.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This is a shot of Lisa doing the makeup on Claxton to make him appear dead. She did a wonderful job and it was very convincing, even standing there in real life.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This scene wasn't as well executed as I would have liked. But I think I can make it much better when I get into post. I can bring out the SWAT guys a bit more so its obvious who they are, etc. But I like the mood of the image for the most part.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

This is just a quick behind the scenes shot of Matt doing a close up of Claxton, our victim, for the behind the scenes video. Lisa is doing a quick touch up on his makeup.

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

Refemall
206 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 26, 2008 16:26 |  #2

Very nice series.

I was going to comment on the missing model's arm in the first photo, then I read your description. You're right that it just doesn't make much sense being there. Coincidentally I think I like the first image the best.

Canon EOS 40D gripped
EF 28mm F/2.8, EF 50mm F/1.8 II, Sigma EF 70-200mm F/2.8 DG MACRO, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II
Canon 580EX

CheetaPita
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 26, 2008 17:14 |  #3

these are really neat! the lighting on the first one is really just perfect. i also looked at your photo blog and WOW. blown away by your work.

http://carleymacphotog​raphy.blogspot.com/ (external link)

sfaust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,304 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 26, 2008 21:01 |  #4

Refemall. I was disappointed with the series I shot with the SWAT setup at first. I felt like I didn't capture what I was after, or had in mind. There was a lot going on that needed to be watched and addressed when shooting those images, and I felt I might have missed my mark. But comments like yours and CheetaPita keep popping up when people see the images, and it's made me re-think it. I think that since I had a certain look and feel in mind, I can't see the forest through the trees. :) I should probably run them all through post anyway before I pass my own judgement. They will all have a similar 'feel' to the first image as far as color, texture, tones, etc.

Thanks both of you for the comments.

Stephen
Commercial Photography (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,538 views & 0 likes for this thread
CSI Boston :)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.