Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Mar 2008 (Thursday) 16:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

24-105L dust issues

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 27, 2008 16:51 |  #1

24-105L dust issues.

I've had this lens for the past 3 months, and its lead a fairly sheltered life. Its done some work outside with it, but not much, and not in anything that I would consider super dusty conditions. In some recent work, I found that I've getting flare from dust that is behind the outermost layer of glass (F18-22 shots).

I'm not sure how it got there,but I am sure that the lens is almost unusable right now. I've never had this as an issue with any of my other lenses, including other L, non-L, or other brand lenses. I'm able to switch over to my 17-40L or Tamron 28-70, but it doesn't change that the 24-105L is the lens that I picked up to by my workhorse...

Is this something that I can clean out myself, or does it need to be sent in for cleaning? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks for any and all help.

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/ (external link)

sponsored links
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
13,431 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 27, 2008 17:46 |  #2

At f18 - F22 I wouldn't expect much from any lens, dust or not.

GEAR LIST

PhotosByEric
Goldmember
1,060 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Mar 27, 2008 17:52 |  #3

I've had mine for 2 years and use it everyday without one spec of dust in it. I've got some dust on my sensor but not in the lens itself.

Eric

www.photosbyeric.smugm​ug.com (external link)
Canon 30D, Canon 15-85, Tamron 17-50 2.8, Canon 60 2.8 macro, 580exI, 430exI, st-e2, and a wish list a mile long:lol:

DreamCrushers in POTN FF

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 27, 2008 18:02 |  #4

Stickman wrote in post #5204716 (external link)
24-105L dust issues.

I've had this lens for the past 3 months, and its lead a fairly sheltered life. Its done some work outside with it, but not much, and not in anything that I would consider super dusty conditions. In some recent work, I found that I've getting flare from dust that is behind the outermost layer of glass (F18-22 shots).

I'm not sure how it got there,but I am sure that the lens is almost unusable right now. I've never had this as an issue with any of my other lenses, including other L, non-L, or other brand lenses. I'm able to switch over to my 17-40L or Tamron 28-70, but it doesn't change that the 24-105L is the lens that I picked up to by my workhorse...

Is this something that I can clean out myself, or does it need to be sent in for cleaning? Has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks for any and all help.

Are you sure the dust is being caused by dust? Some 24-105mm lenses had a flare problem that was acknowledged by Canon and repaired FOC. See here : http://www.usa.canon.c​om …egoryid=216&mod​elid=11924 (external link)

Steve.

Gear List

Stickman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 27, 2008 19:23 |  #5

gofer wrote in post #5205176 (external link)
Are you sure the dust is being caused by dust? Some 24-105mm lenses had a flare problem that was acknowledged by Canon and repaired FOC. See here : http://www.usa.canon.c​om …egoryid=216&mod​elid=11924 (external link)

Thankyou, I checked and its a "UV" series, not one of the "UT" that was recalled.

Stick

Stickman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 27, 2008 19:25 |  #6

Eric&Susan wrote in post #5205117 (external link)
I've had mine for 2 years and use it everyday without one spec of dust in it. I've got some dust on my sensor but not in the lens itself.

Eric

Thats more along the lines of what I had expected. I had thought all of the "L" series were weather proofed to a higher degree than most other lenses.

Stick

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 27, 2008 19:52 |  #7

Not all L series are weatherproof.

Even the ones that are, e.g. my 70-200 f/4L IS still get dust inside. I have about 5 specks on various elements. No more have appeared since I started using a UV filter

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,692 posts
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Mar 27, 2008 20:58 |  #8

It would have to be a pretty thick layer of dust to cause a flare problem. I've had my 24-105 for a couple of years and have used it in some very dusty environments and it's still pristine (and I generally don't use filters).

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

gofer
Goldmember
1,548 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 28, 2008 03:37 as a reply to  @ Mark_Cohran's post |  #9

Personally I always found it easy to get the 24-105mm to flare. I was out with a mate a while back and we were discussing this very issue. I took this picture at that time saying I would bet the lens would show a lot of flare :

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i60.photobucket​.com …les/IMG_2007121​3_0106.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

I know perhaps most lenses would flare with a low sun just clipping in front of the hood like that but as I say, it has always seemed easy to get the 24-105 to display it.

Steve.

Gear List

The_Camera_Poser
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 28, 2008 08:27 |  #10
bannedPermanent ban

I have a 24-105, a 18-55 and a 50/1.8. All ride around in the same bag. The 18-55 and 50 are full of dust, the L has nothing. I'd get those seals checked! Is it under warranty?

The_Camera_Poser
Goldmember
3,012 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 28, 2008 08:27 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

BUT- having said that, it is VERY flare prone- worst lens I have for it actually.

Stickman
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 28, 2008 10:43 |  #12

The_Camera_Poser wrote in post #5208835 (external link)
I have a 24-105, a 18-55 and a 50/1.8. All ride around in the same bag. The 18-55 and 50 are full of dust, the L has nothing. I'd get those seals checked! Is it under warranty?

Yes it is, I'll take it in today and see what the dealer says.

Stick

photounit
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 02, 2009 16:02 |  #13

I have a 24-105L which is also only 3 months old and I just found that my lens has 4 large particles on the second lens element....... I'm not sure how or why this happened as I have babied the lens...... I have a wedding to shoot next weekend and was going through all my lens and equipment today and cleaning everything when discovered it..... I really wanted the 24-70L and now it looks like I'm going to have to buy it as I don't think I can get it repaired before then and I don't want to risk using it in its present condition...... Now I wonder if Canon will fix it for free or try to say it's may fault - Which it's not......

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 02, 2009 16:11 |  #14

The 24-105L is weather sealed. However according to Canon, you need to use a protective filter to complete the seal.
I've never noticed any flare issues with my 24-105L...bought back in late 2006/early 2007...

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
39,191 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 02, 2009 16:17 |  #15

I've had mine for over two years and have never experienced flare problems.

sponsored links

3,236 views & 0 likes for this thread
24-105L dust issues
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.