Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 31 Mar 2008 (Monday) 09:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Head or no head on a monopod?

bbbig
364 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 31, 2008 09:47 |  #1

Are you finding it useful to have a tilt/swivel head on your monopod? Do you use your monopod attached directly onto your camera? Other than for having a quick-release system on my monopod's head, I never found the need for tilt/swivel.

Your thoughts?

Roy

5D Mark III (external link) | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L (external link) (full gear list)

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Mar 31, 2008 09:54 |  #2

If you always shoot "straight and level" and only with lenses which have a tripod mounting ring, then you probably don't need a head on a monopod. If, like me, you're likely to shoot with the lens at other than right angles to the tripod, or using lenses which don't have tripod mounting rings, it's a different story. I use a Manfrotto 486RC2 so I have flexibility in my camera orientation independent of where the monopod rests.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

donaldjl
427 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 31, 2008 10:10 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #3

IMO, one of the big advantages to a head on a monopod is the ability to use quick release plates and not have to screw the monopod into and out of the camera on a frequent basis.

Personally, I've been quite happy with the Manny 3229 swivel head, but I likely don't have some of the shooting position demands that require or would be simplified with a small ballhead.

"And when he came to the place where the Wild Things are they roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws..."

440roadrunner
Goldmember
1,312 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 31, 2008 11:45 as a reply to  @ donaldjl's post |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

I built a monopod, and ended up with a Bogen 3229 tilt head. Not only does it allow me to quickly kick the monopod out, such as for bracing against a tree, but I can fold the head and monopod clear back behind the camera, and use it as a "shoulder fired" device. It really works out great for me.

2-40D's, 30D, Xt, EOS-3, Elan7, ElanII 100-400L, 24-105L, 17-55IS 2.8, Sig 12-24 EX DG 4.5
Mamiya M645 1000S, 45mm 2.8, 80mm 1.9, 110mm 2.8 + 2x extender

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 31, 2008 11:46 |  #5

donaldjl wrote in post #5230151 (external link)
IMO, one of the big advantages to a head on a monopod is the ability to use quick release plates and not have to screw the monopod into and out of the camera on a frequent basis.

Personally, I've been quite happy with the Manny 3229 swivel head, but I likely don't have some of the shooting position demands that require or would be simplified with a small ballhead.

Some QR systems allow you to screw the QR clamp (or base) directly on the monopod without the head if all you're after is a quick way to mount and unmount a camera or a lens.

...Leo

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 31, 2008 11:58 |  #6

donaldjl wrote in post #5230151 (external link)

You don't necessarily need a ballhead to utilize a QR setup. I have a 3232 mounted on my monopod, with a Markins QR screw clamp attached directly to the 3232. And if I didn't have the swivel head, the clamp would screw directly to the monopod post.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

bbbig
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 31, 2008 12:00 |  #7

440roadrunner wrote in post #5230727 (external link)
I built a monopod, and ended up with a Bogen 3229 tilt head. Not only does it allow me to quickly kick the monopod out, such as for bracing against a tree, but I can fold the head and monopod clear back behind the camera, and use it as a "shoulder fired" device. It really works out great for me.

Sorry off topic - I had heard of this "over the shoulder" technique before, but I have a hard time visualizing it. i.e. I can't see how you can get the monopod _over the shoulder_ - then your camera will be still way too high for your eye to reach?? Pictures anyone?

Roy

5D Mark III (external link) | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L (external link) (full gear list)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Mar 31, 2008 12:45 as a reply to  @ bbbig's post |  #8

No head on my mono, I am just going to put a QR clamp on it.:D

Gear List

Balliolman
Goldmember
4,149 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 31, 2008 12:49 |  #9

Ballhead. Admittedly it was a fiddle at first getting used to the monopod-ballhead combination. Now accustomed to the gear I find it an easy combination to use.

Balliolman
Stereoshooter
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/balliolman/ (external link)

Want to know more? Q. & A. with Balliolman: 3D/Stereo Photography https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=150661

DReb; Canon 50 f1.8; Canon 28-135 IS; Loreo LIAC(T); Flashtrax; Canon 17-40 L; Manfrotto 055 PRO B tripod; Canon 28mm 2.8; Whibal
Need: Primes; Would like: Canon 5D;

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 31, 2008 13:20 as a reply to  @ Balliolman's post |  #10

I have a head on mine as it's the only way I can the the camera into portrait orientation.

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

bbbig
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 31, 2008 13:27 |  #11

HankScorpio wrote in post #5231348 (external link)
I have a head on mine as it's the only way I can the the camera into portrait orientation.

Ah, that does make sense!

Roy

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Mar 31, 2008 13:29 |  #12

I also use a Manfrotto 486RC2 ball head on my monopod (a Manfrotto 680B), and the ball head provides me with a tremendous amount of versatility in how I can use the monopod over either no head or the one-way tilt head.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Mar 31, 2008 13:33 |  #13

I haven't tried a ball head on my monopod, a Manfrotto 679B. Camera and lens weigh about 10# and the pod is mounted to the lens ring mount. I guess I figured a ball head would be more trouble than it is worth. I just bought a ball head, so I may try it out. Mostly, I just need the pod to support the weight.

Mike

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

Bumgardnern
977 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 31, 2008 17:52 |  #14

I use a Manfrotto 486RC2 on my monopod and love it. When I first got a monopod I tried using it with out a ball head and did not like it. For me the ball head made a huge difference in its usability.

donaldjl
427 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 31, 2008 20:19 as a reply to  @ Bumgardnern's post |  #15

I guess I wasn't as clear as I should have been, but several have alluded to my point that it's advantageous to be able to use quick releases on monopods. It really comes down to your own needs.

"And when he came to the place where the Wild Things are they roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws..."

sponsored links

13,223 views & 0 likes for this thread
Head or no head on a monopod?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.