Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 31 Mar 2008 (Monday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Will 77mm step-up ring fit on 70-200mm f/4 IS w/hood?

bbbig
364 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 31, 2008 15:40 |  #1

When thinking of getting a 70-200mm f/4 IS, I don't think I want to spend another $100+ for a CPL. If possible, I'd rather get a 67mm to 77mm step-up ring, and re-use my 77mm filters. Of course, my concern now then is, will the hood fit, with 67->77mm step-up ring in place??

Has anyone tried this yet?

Roy

5D Mark III (external link) | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L (external link) (full gear list)

sponsored links
Needsnow
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 31, 2008 15:46 |  #2

Doesn't work for the 70-200 F4 non-IS lens. I find it kind of a pain to use a lens hood with a polarizer anyway. It's impossible to get your hand in to adjust the filter. I tried the "sharing the filters thing". I found it much to time wasting to try and get a filter off one lens and on to the other in the field. Now I have polarizers for each size lens I have.

Canon EOS R

bbbig
THREAD ­ STARTER
364 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 31, 2008 15:55 as a reply to  @ Needsnow's post |  #3

I guess that may have to be the overhead I must eat, for having lenses with multiple filter sizes...

Roy

5D Mark III (external link) | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50 1.2L (external link) (full gear list)

Needsnow
Goldmember
1,814 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 31, 2008 15:58 |  #4

One thing that I forgot to mention. I do have a set of grad ND filters. For that purpose, I have the appropriate step up rings to fit the 77mm size. Then I'm just carrying rings and the 77mm holder.

And on my 72mm lens, I also permanantly keep a 72-77 ring on it because the hood will fit over that ring and I can use my 77mm polarizer on that lens.

Canon EOS R

hjohnson
141 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 31, 2008 22:09 |  #5

Alas, no it won't work. This is my setup right now, and when I'm using my polarizer, I can't use my hood. (I bought a really good polarizer to share with my 17-55).

ELAN 7E, 350D + Grip, 40D + Grip, EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, EF 28-105 f/3-4.5 USM II, EF 70-200 f/4L IS, EF 28 f/1.8 USM, EF 100 f/2.8 USM Macro, EF 300 f/4L IS, EF Extender 1.4x II

divetex
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 15, 2008 18:36 |  #6

I just use the step-up ring and shade my filter with my hat. Simple.

sponsored links

974 views & 0 likes for this thread
Will 77mm step-up ring fit on 70-200mm f/4 IS w/hood?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.