Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Nov 2004 (Sunday) 03:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sigma 2x Converter

ingouk
54 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Nov 14, 2004 03:17 |  #1

Hi,

i have a sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX HSM and a Sigma 135-400 f4.5-5.6.
to cut down on space used in my bagpack i was thinking of replacing the 135-400 with 2 x Converter for the 70-200.
Has anyone used a 2x converter on the 70-200? How is the quality of photos taken with it? I guess noone will have a 70-200 with a 2x converter and a 135-400 and can email me some test shoots. IS there a shop in london where one can rent a sigma 2x converter for a day to test it?
Any help would be appreciated.

dhbailey
328 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Nov 14, 2004 05:41 |  #2

Remember that with the 2x converter you'll lose 2 stops and thus the lighting situations you'll be able to shoot in will change.

I don't think you'll find the single lens, with and without the 2x converter, will be as satisfying as the two lenses you currently have. I realize that space and weight is an issue, but quality photographs and the ability to get that perfect shot is an important issue also.

A 2x converter won't necessarily give you the same photographic ability you currently have.

David
===============
Cameras: S3is and 20D
Canon 18-55 kit lens, 50mm 1.8, 75-300 USM IS
Tamron 28-75 F2.8, 420EX flash

Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
7,333 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Nov 14, 2004 06:05 |  #3

I suspect the end result is going to be quite close.

Both combinations will give 400mm @ f/5.6...

The 70-200EX lens is rated quite highly optically so although the 2x TC will
degrade it a bit, the comparison with the 135-400mm could be quite close.

The focus speed of the 70-200 will be slowed by the TC but then it was much faster than teh 135-400mm to start off with....

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you but it will be interesting to see what you come up with in the end.

Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsport (external link)/Canoe Polo (external link)/Other Stuff (external link)

ScottE
Goldmember
3,179 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Nov 14, 2004 09:47 |  #4

I have a Canon 70-200/2.8 and a Sigma 50-500. I also have a Sigma 1.4x APO teleconverter and Tamron SP AF 1.4x and 2x teleconverters.

There is almost no detectable difference between the perfomance of the Sigma and Tamron 1.4x teleconverters. I assume there would be no difference between the 2x teleconverters either.

With the Canon 70-200/2.8 lens with the 2x teleconverter the images are perceptably softer than with the Sigma 50-500.

I would never shoot the combination with the 2x teleconverter if I had the 50-500 available. However, I do carry the 70-200 + 2x as back-up when travelling. Sometimes when I take the 70-200 for low light conditions, I also bring the 1.4x and 2x teleconverters in case I need more telephoto length and I do not want to carry the bulk of the 50-500.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
Sigma 2x Converter
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.