Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 11:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

AB800s at weddings

ZekaG
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 02, 2008 11:58 |  #1

Have any of you guys used your Alien Bees at a wedding. Whether at the reception or with the group shots?

I'm just wondering if I should take mine to the next wedding...

Shoot with Canon!

sponsored links
Big ­ Mike
Goldmember
1,023 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 02, 2008 12:40 |  #2

If you have power and the time to set them up, then go for it. If time and power availability are a problem, then go with hot-shoe flash units.

One issue I could foresee with AB (or any studio lights) is that they have built in optical triggers....which you would want to disable because other people will undoubtedly be shooting with their P&S digicams.

Instructor at The Canadian Photography Learning Centre (external link).
Blog (external link)

Philco
940 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 02, 2008 12:52 |  #3

I use mine for formals all the time, but not for much else. It's a lot to carry around if you don't have help.

Canon 5D MKIII/Canon 5D MKII/ 70-200 F2.8 IS L / 24-70 F2.8L / 85 F1.2L II/ 35 f1.4L / 135 F2.0L / Canon 600 EX-RT X 2

[SIZE=1]r follow me on Facebook. (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,780 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 02, 2008 14:44 |  #4

Studio strobes have the disadvantage of...
1. time needed to set up and take down
2. need access to AC power
3. affords plenty of opportunity for guests to trip over your power cord (and crash your light on the floor!)

Use radio slave, not optical, due to the triggering by all the guest cameras.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 02, 2008 15:09 |  #5

Wilt wrote in post #5246356 (external link)
Use radio slave, not optical, due to the triggering by all the guest cameras.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

I enjoy the chance to get my shot while all the P&S pose stealers are staring at their LCDs, wondering why their shots are badly overexposed.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,328 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 02, 2008 17:48 |  #6

Curtis N wrote in post #5246497 (external link)

I enjoy the chance to get my shot while all the P&S pose stealers are staring at their LCDs, wondering why their shots are badly overexposed.

Nice!

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
41,780 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 02, 2008 18:21 |  #7

It is, when 1/2 second before I want to take my shot, the guest fires the P&S and depletes the charge in my flash and I lose the expression that I wanted to capture! :mad:

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

ZekaG
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,276 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 02, 2008 23:12 |  #8

Hehehe, love that one.

I will have someone helping me, so we'll see how that goes.

Shoot with Canon!

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,401 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 03, 2008 09:37 |  #9

I try to use them for formals. Have actually used them for the ceremony - from an empty balcony.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

bigjon0107
897 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 03, 2008 10:02 |  #10

I will try as well to use them for formals. But that is if I have help and have a reasonable amount of time to actually do the formals (gives me a few more min to set up and take down). If they dont schedule much time for the formal shots, i use speedlights. They are much quicker to setup and get out of there when everyone is rushing over to the reception and you have to be there to get their entrance.

Jon Eilts
Gear List
SportsShooter (external link)

gravy ­ graffix
Goldmember
1,134 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 04, 2008 22:17 |  #11

LOL one of the FUNNIEST things i read was on FM where a guy was fed up with point and shoots flashes ruining his shots at a wedding... so he set up 2 strobes aimed to the seating area... WITH opticals..... lol oh what fun!

Peoria IL Wedding Photographer (external link) Chicago Wedding Photographers (external link)

Harry ­ Settle
663 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 06, 2008 12:43 |  #12

I use a pair of 800's with umbrellas for the inchurch formals. One on each side of the center aisle.

I often use one to help overcome the sun at outdoor weddings, no umbrella.

DD974
835 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 15, 2008 06:50 as a reply to  @ Harry Settle's post |  #13

I also used two AB800's last weekend for formals at the alter and also for other family member formals (external link)....my 580exII thru a Lightsphere wasn't working the way I'd hoped. I positioned one (bounced from umbrella) each side of aisle (center isle stopped at second pugh from bottom, seating extended all the way across (external link)). I would have used a third AB800 shot through a brolleybox from camera position but getting power to it was a problem as well as time constraints.

Here's a formal I took with this setup. (external link)

I am considering buying an external battery pack, probably the Vagabond II

Since the reception was within walking distance I had a couple assistants leave the reception (while I stayed and shot) to tear it all down. The results of using it all was worth it.

DC~

magicmikey
984 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Apr 15, 2008 09:26 |  #14

I've recently used a pair of B400s at a Bar Mitzvah reception. My intent was to use the 2 strobes as general fill for the dance floor and use my 430EX as the main. Because of the pre-flash when using the 430EX with E-TTL, I was unable to go that direction. (I was going to get a hot shoe added to Canon Off Camera Cord 3 so that I could use the E-TTL and still use my wireless trigger for the B400s but didn't get to it in time.)

I ended up using my XTi with the B400s (as mains) firing from a wireless trigger and my XT with the 430EX mounted so I could switch cameras and lighting set ups as appropriate. I was very pleased with the results of using the B400s this way. I will definitely have my OCC3 customized with a hot shoes so that I can use both the B400s and the 430EX.

Michael

JeratBP
215 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 19, 2008 08:50 |  #15

I've only gotten to use AB800's at one wedding, mostly used for studio work. I've never had a hard time setting them up or taking them down, when I have help. The only thing I dislike, as previously mentioned, is the included trigger. I'd really like to buy the Pocket Wizards....just waiting on money ;-)a.

- Jeremy Bailey
w/30D and some L Glass, a 50mm, a 580EX II and Gary Fong Lightsphere

sponsored links

2,210 views & 0 likes for this thread
AB800s at weddings
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.