Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 08 Apr 2008 (Tuesday) 20:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Copper Harbor, MI

Chris ­ Dana
Goldmember
1,421 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 08, 2008 20:48 |  #1

My wife and I drove up to Houghton, MI to visit her sister (going to Michigan Tech) last weekend. We ended up taking a drive up to the absolute top of the UP to Copper Harbor. There was still about 1.5'+ of snow on the ground and Lake Superior still had a significant amount of ice on it. Thought I'd share a photo I took.

IMAGE: http://www.chrisdanaphotography.com/img/v3/p571290245-4.jpg

Exif Info:
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Image Date: 2008-04-05 15:22:34
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 17.0mm
Exposure Time: 0.0008 s (1/1250)
Aperture: f/5.0
ISO equiv: 100
White Balance: Auto
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Post processing included backing off the exposure a little, USM, and toning down the white on the snowberg in the center.

C&C appreciated.

Chris Dana Photography (external link) - Mid Michigan Family Photography
Digital Alchemy (external link) - Detroit and Mid Michigan Wedding Photography

sponsored links
Ryan_in_the_U.P.
77 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 09, 2008 00:11 |  #2

Nice capture. There are chances for great photos around every corner in the U.P. no matter what the season. We are supposed to get another 5-8" of the white stuff tonight with the Marquette getting the worst of it around a foot they say. The next time you get up this way take time to enjoy the secenery and all that the Copper Country has to offer.

Becca
Lady in Red
7,158 posts
Gallery: 25 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2005

Apr 09, 2008 06:07 |  #3

Looks cold! My sister used to live in L'anse and I never enjoyed visiting her in the winter! Very pretty, though.

Becca
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." ~ Saint Augustine
Gear List

Chris ­ Dana
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,421 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 09, 2008 08:31 |  #4

Thanks for the comments. It really was gorgeous up there this past weekend. I could've taken a lot more time shooting around, but didn't want to leave my companions sitting around waiting for me too long.

It really wasn't all that cold, either. I was just fine with a light sweater. I'm hoping we can get back up there this fall, but with a new baby coming, that might be difficult.

curiousgeorge
Goldmember
3,831 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 09, 2008 10:23 |  #5

It's nice but I'd like to have seen the ice on the left of the image right at the foreground, to lead into the frame.

Photos from Iceland (external link) | London (external link)
Canon EOS 6D | Canon 24-70mm f/4L | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4L | Speedlite 430EX II | Canon Powershot G9

rikeshpatel92
143 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 09, 2008 10:35 |  #6

yep i like it, but try and stick to the rule of thirds a bit more. It just seems as though there is no "focus" on the image. Try and get either:
-A bit more of the sky
-A bit more of the icy conditions with a focus on something

That should make the image more interesting ;)

In the process of making a website; till then: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/93789584@N00/ (external link)! Take a peep!

Chris ­ Dana
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,421 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 09, 2008 12:16 |  #7

curiousgeorge wrote in post #5292844 (external link)
It's nice but I'd like to have seen the ice on the left of the image right at the foreground, to lead into the frame.

I agree. However walking to that side of the ice would've required going into the nice cold water of Superior as the ice/snow there was too thin to stand on. :D

Thanks for all the comments again, I really appreciate them.

boblybill
358 posts
Joined Mar 2008
Location: In the eye of a tornado, you can also find me in Arlington, TX

Apr 09, 2008 12:52 |  #8

This one seems a little dark for my tastes. but I like it even with the darkness.

GEAR LIST

My Flickr (external link)

tbfoto
655 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 13, 2008 19:31 |  #9

I have my vacation planned for there this summer. I'm looking forward to seeing all the beautiful sites of the UP.

98srx6
58 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 06, 2010 20:31 |  #10

This is a nice capture. There are alot of nice oprotunities in the Keweenaw.

sponsored links

1,385 views & 0 likes for this thread
Copper Harbor, MI
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.