Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 09 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 22:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flowers + Bokeh

shomat
730 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by shomat.

Apr 09, 2008 22:46 |  #1

sponsored links
Gary ­ Lindquist
592 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 09, 2008 22:48 |  #2

I like it shomat. Great use of bokeh in the foreground and background.

Gary
Gear: Canon 5D, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L USM, Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Flickr (external link)

medic-on-fire
122 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 09, 2008 22:55 |  #3

I agree -- I like the effect of having bokeh in both the fore- and back grounds. Helps to add a little more interest to an otherwise mundane photo.

Over all, I'd say it's a great shot -- With one minor nit pick; I keep finding myself drawn to the person (who is badly out of focus) in the background. I know you were working in Central Park, so I can appreciate how difficult it is to get that shot with nobody in the background. Truth be known, I'm surprised there weren't more people!

Nice work! Thanks for sharing! ;)

Gripped 40D | EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Original Lensbaby | Speedlight 430EX | Bogen Manfrotto 055XPROB | Bogen Manfrotto 488RC2

shomat
THREAD ­ STARTER
730 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 09, 2008 23:40 |  #4

I didn't really pay much attention to the person in the background, but you're right. That is annoying.

eddarr
There's Moderators under there....
8,907 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 10, 2008 00:08 |  #5

Let me start by saying I like the photo and how you have used depth of field to isolate the subject from a poor background.

However, I hate to be a spoiler but there really is no bokeh in this photo. There is a very small depth of field caused by the f/2.0 aperture and the areas outside of the plane of focus are not always considered to be bokeh.

Eric

wallybud
Taking the "Walk of Shame"
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 10, 2008 08:20 |  #6

Not sure what lens your using but if you had a 70-200 you could back up a lottt further and try to compose as much of the same shot as possible. This way youd be farther from the subject and the background would be far from the subject, thus at 2.8 creating an EXTREMELY creamy and delightlful BG judging from how i think it would turn out=)

-Walt-
Life is good. Do What You Like. Like What You Do.
GEAR LIST
Take | In | Life Photography (external link)

DuaneJ
153 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 10, 2008 08:30 |  #7

As a very new DSLR beginner who practices every day and studies to learn all the terms, etc., I was very excited when I opened this post to finally learn what bokeh is!!!

That is until I read eddarr's post ...

eddarr wrote in post #5297969 (external link)
... there really is no bokeh in this photo.

What is this mysterious bokeh you speak of and where can I see some?

wallybud
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 10, 2008 08:36 |  #8

Bokeh is the washing out of the BG to help isolate the subject (i think) completely. It helps to be aware of whats in the bg before the shot

BOKEH (not done in photoshop - aperture and distance)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

-Walt-
GEAR LIST

DuaneJ
153 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 10, 2008 08:54 |  #9

Thanks for the explanation Wallybud. So would the lack of bokeh in the first picture be due to the background not being completely wiped out or because of the foreground? or both?

Thanks again

wallybud
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 10, 2008 09:06 |  #10

Welcome, given the person wasnt there IMO its a nice shot, maybe it would be better if the bg were a little more washed out but i cant say w/o and example. FOREGROUND no forground would not matter in my opinion.

You know i kinda like your shot if you just cloned out the guy in photoshop and boosted colors, added more contrast, and a littl lab sharpening w/ USM. That shot would be great, maybe even a bathroom wall hanger!

-Walt-
GEAR LIST

shomat
THREAD ­ STARTER
730 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 10, 2008 10:09 |  #11

Here is a revised version taking into account everyone's suggestions:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

And thanks for clearing up my error on the technicalities of bokeh.

wallybud
2,980 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 10, 2008 10:12 |  #12

Looks a lot better but seems darker now? I know it prolly wont help now but maybe right after removing the guy throw in a shadow/highlights layer and tweak that a bit, it might bring a little more out of the photo(as in the tree and the forground) Im gunna give this a go at like 9pm haha but it looks a LOT better w/o the guy in it!

-Walt-
GEAR LIST

medic-on-fire
122 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 10, 2008 10:20 |  #13

Oh, much better! ;)

And I like Wallybud's suggestion -- This would look good in the bathroom!

Gripped 40D | EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | Original Lensbaby | Speedlight 430EX | Bogen Manfrotto 055XPROB | Bogen Manfrotto 488RC2

eddarr
There's Moderators under there....
8,907 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 10, 2008 11:29 |  #14

Sorry guys didn't mean to rain on the parade. Here are two places that talk about bokeh. The short answer is that bokeh is a subjective term. Technically any out of focus area, caused by a small aperture, would have bokeh. But it is the quality of the bokeh that we care about. Simply being out of focus does not guarantee a pleasing bokeh.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Bokeh (external link)
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=480426

Eric

medic-on-fire
122 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 10, 2008 12:14 |  #15

eddarr wrote in post #5300525 (external link)
Sorry guys didn't mean to rain on the parade. Here are two places that talk about bokeh. The short answer is that bokeh is a subjective term. Technically any out of focus area, caused by a small aperture, would have bokeh. But it is the quality of the bokeh that we care about. Simply being out of focus does not guarantee a pleasing bokeh.

Eddarr,

You're ruining my life!!! All this time I thought I knew what bokeh was and then you came along.....:lol:

Seriously, though, thanks for clarifying. Those are both good links that more-than-sufficiently explain the concept of bokeh. IMHO, it helps to get those technical terms correct when you're talking about photography. While it doesn't change the quality of an image (particularly this one), it does help to have the concept clarified for anyone looking to capture a similar image.

That said, I think I would argue the point that the background in this image is, in fact, bokeh, and that the bokeh-like effect seen in the foreground is nothing more than out of focus (caused by the f/2.0 aperture, as you indicated) as a result of a narrow DOF. What are your thoughts on this technical aspect of the photo?

sponsored links

2,716 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flowers + Bokeh
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.