Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 10 Apr 2008 (Thursday) 18:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Monitor Recommendations...

fuzzygraphics
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 10, 2008 18:57 |  #1

I'm looking to upgrade my trusty 17" Viewsonic display on my Window XP PC. I have just started to do a lot more RAW processing and I've begun to notice the color accuracy issues that can come up with a cheap monitor, and I'd also like a wide screen with more real estate overall.

I purchased the Spyder Express2 a while back and that has helped, but I'd like a larger display size.

My budget is around $650 and I have been considering a Dell 2408 based on the cost and the fact that it is not a TN display.

Any other recommendations for models I should be looking at?

I'd like to purchase something of a semiprofessional quality since my computer is dedicated soley to Photo/graphics work.

Thanks for any input/advice!

http://www.fuzzysgraph​ics.com (external link)

sponsored links
Moppie
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 10, 2008 21:47 |  #2

Find a second hand Sony Trinitron flatscreen CRT.
Can't be beat (yet).

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Steve ­ Ruddy
549 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 10, 2008 21:51 as a reply to  @ Moppie's post |  #3

I would recomend a CRT as well. You may find someone with a Samsung Syncmaster 1100MB still in stock.

Steve Ruddy Photography (external link)facebook - Steve Ruddy Photography (external link) | | Flickr Photostream (external link)Fine Art America (external link)
5D MK IV | 80D | EF 24-105MM F-4L IS USM | EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM | EF 100mm F/2.8 Macro USM | Tokina SD 16-28mm F2.8 | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS USM

Damo77
Goldmember
4,646 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 10, 2008 22:04 |  #4

I have a Trinitron CRT as well. But that's only because I've yet to convince my wife I need an Eizo ...

I don't think the old adage "CRTs are better than LCDs" is true any longer - not if you've got $650 to spend. You'll find a good LCD for that money, I think.

Damien
Website (external link) | Facebook (external link)

Moppie
14,857 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2004

Apr 10, 2008 22:07 |  #5

Damo77 wrote in post #5304421 (external link)
I don't think the old adage "CRTs are better than LCDs" is true any longer - not if you've got $650 to spend. You'll find a good LCD for that money, I think.

Only if you have LOTS of money.
But even the best LCD's, with 99% of the colour accuracy and tonal range of the best CRTs still suffer from colour and tone shift when viewed from an angle.

flickr (external link)

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

rrrize
166 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 10, 2008 22:39 as a reply to  @ Moppie's post |  #6

Well, I've got a MINT CONDITION 21" Sony Trinitron flat screen monitor. I just got an Apple 23" Cinema HD display and so my trusty Sony is looking for a new home. It was my intention to post it in the FOR SALE section this weekend, but if you're interested, lemme know and I'll provide some pics and give you more details.:)

If you stay ready, you don't have to get ready.
Canon EOS 7D / Canon EOS 40D / Canon EF-S 10-22mm / Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L / Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS / Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 / Canon 580EX II / Macintosh-based Aperture/Photoshop workflow

fuzzygraphics
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 10, 2008 23:02 as a reply to  @ rrrize's post |  #7

Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't think I can bring myself to buy a CRT. The desk space and heat output are deal breakers in my small studio.

I know color shift from different viewing angles can be a substantial problem with LCDs, but I'm hoping that the Dell 2408 isn't quite as suseptable to that as TN based displays since it use S-IPS.

I pulled this from Wikipedia:

"LCD panels using TN (external link) tend to have a limited viewing angle (external link) relative to CRT and plasma displays. This reduces the number of people able to conveniently view the same image – laptop screens are a prime example. Usually when looking below the screen, it gets much darker; looking from above makes it look lighter. Many panels such as 22" and 24" LCDs which are based on the IPS, MVA, or PVA panels have much improved viewing angles; typically the color only gets a little brighter when viewing at extreme angles."

Alas, there is still a slight color shift, but not as terrible as some of the cheaper technologies.

I have shopped around a bit, and I thought the 2408 might be the best bang for the buck (at $599) but Dell is really slow at delivering and I have a project that would benifit from an upgrade right away.

More than anything, I'm curious as to what everyone else is using and what they like/dislike about their setup.

Az2Africa
Goldmember
3,481 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 11, 2008 00:12 |  #8

I use an Ezio, but it's about 4 times your budget. But I look at it as an investment just like an L lens. Why spend a fortune on camera gear and then skimp on seeing what the image truly looks like. I found that often,I was correcting colors that were already fine, but looked off on my other calibrated monitors. Just a thought.

"If you're not living on the edge. You're taking up too much room !"
My Gear Arizona's POTN Flickr Gallery (external link)

fi20100
Slightly late
3,587 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 11, 2008 02:17 |  #9

rrrize wrote in post #5304619 (external link)
Well, I've got a MINT CONDITION 21" Sony Trinitron flat screen monitor. I just got an Apple 23" Cinema HD display and so my trusty Sony is looking for a new home. It was my intention to post it in the FOR SALE section this weekend, but if you're interested, lemme know and I'll provide some pics and give you more details.:)

How do you like your new Cinema Display. I've been looking at the 23" version, but I've heard about some problems with it, like a magenta color shade on one side of the monitor. I've also been looking at the new LaCie 24" which is in the same price range.

Stefan
5D3, 5Dc, 5Dc, 40D + 17-40L, 24-70L, 70-200L, 50/1.4, 85/1.8, 100L Macro and some other stuff.
flickr (external link), 5∞px (external link)

neil_g
708 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 11, 2008 03:10 |  #10

ive been very impressed with samsungs products over the last 12 months.

at work ive got a syncmaster 225BW and at home ive got a 2032BW and im nothing but happy with the colour representation etc.

Burp.

Dan-o
Goldmember
3,539 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 11, 2008 10:07 |  #11

I recently bought the NEC 2490 and it is incredible. I bought the Dell 2408 before the NEC but had many issues with it and sent it back.

Danny.
DMunsonPhoto (external link)
Cycling Illustrated (external link)
FaceBook Page (external link)

Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 11, 2008 11:06 |  #12

fuzzygraphics, I just bought the Dell 2408 last week. I'm waiting for my spyder3 pro to arrive to calibrate but I'm very happy with the monitor. Dell has done a great job with the ergonomics. It is easy to adjust and that is something that seems minor before buying but becomes major when it's sitting on your desk.

The color is beautiful, the blacks are deep and even. I have seen no color banding or other uneveness. I think 24" is just the right size.

Dell still has the $100 instant savings, making the monitor $599. I also got free shipping but I don't know if that is still in effect. It's not a cheap monitor but I feel it's worth the money, I've got zero buyer's remorse and that is rare for me.

And Dell wasn't slow delivering for me. I ordered on a Wednesday, it shipped the following Saturday and it was delivered on Tuesday, 6 days from click to opening the box.

Epix
507 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 11, 2008 13:34 |  #13

Awesome LCD buyers guide:

http://forums.anandtec​h.com …did=2049206&ent​erthread=y (external link)

Rick
5D | 24-70 f2.8L | 50mm f/1.8
www.usethelight.com (external link)
"I like my images RAW"

fuzzygraphics
THREAD ­ STARTER
128 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 11, 2008 16:41 |  #14

Kent Clark wrote in post #5307516 (external link)
fuzzygraphics, I just bought the Dell 2408 last week. I'm waiting for my spyder3 pro to arrive to calibrate but I'm very happy with the monitor. Dell has done a great job with the ergonomics. It is easy to adjust and that is something that seems minor before buying but becomes major when it's sitting on your desk.

The color is beautiful, the blacks are deep and even. I have seen no color banding or other uneveness. I think 24" is just the right size.

Dell still has the $100 instant savings, making the monitor $599. I also got free shipping but I don't know if that is still in effect. It's not a cheap monitor but I feel it's worth the money, I've got zero buyer's remorse and that is rare for me.

And Dell wasn't slow delivering for me. I ordered on a Wednesday, it shipped the following Saturday and it was delivered on Tuesday, 6 days from click to opening the box.

Thanks for your feedback.. I've been leaning toward the Dell but I'm frustrated with the order process. I ordered back on the 4th. Free ground but I'm in a hurry so I paid for next business day. I got an order confirmation saying that the it would be ready to ship the 10th. I bummed but it's an acceptable amount of time so I wait it out. I got an email yesterday saying that now won't ship until the 17th. Now I'm frustratred. My project is due the 19th so I either wait it out and get the Dell or buy something else.

From what I've seen, it's still the best bang for the buck so my order is still in and I'm going to try and get it expediited or get the shipping waived, but I was hoping to have something by now.

:End Rant.

Anywho, Thanks for all the great input. This site continues to be a fantastic resource.

Kent ­ Clark
359 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 11, 2008 18:34 as a reply to  @ fuzzygraphics's post |  #15

Strange situation with the shipping. I ordered on the 3rd of April, it arrived on the 9th.

sponsored links

2,663 views & 0 likes for this thread
Monitor Recommendations...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.