Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 Apr 2008 (Friday) 07:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lightroom 2.0 Library question

Richard_Miami
the windbag plateau
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 11, 2008 07:18 |  #1

Forgive me for asking this, but search has not given me the answer

I am a new Lightroom User with the 2.0 beta. I can see how to import my photos into the Library one at a time. This is obviously not very practical. I suspect that I am missing something VERY BASIC -  :o
can someone tell me how to import my files using the folders they are in? This would keep be a great help!

Thanks in advance.

I am the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

Gear

RSPhotoGallery.com (external link)

sponsored links
PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 11, 2008 07:31 |  #2

In Lightroom, go to File > Import from Disk and navigate to the folder you want to import (Note, DO NOT open the folder in the dialog box, just make sure you're at the right location). Select the folder or folders (CTRL+click to select aditional folders) and press the "Choose Selected" button in the lower right. The entire folder or folders will then be imported into Lightroom

Richard_Miami wrote in post #5306264 (external link)
Forgive me for asking this, but search has not given me the answer

I am a new Lightroom User with the 2.0 beta. I can see how to import my photos into the Library one at a time. This is obviously not very practical. I suspect that I am missing something VERY BASIC -  :o
can someone tell me how to import my files using the folders they are in? This would keep be a great help!

Thanks in advance.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List

Richard_Miami
THREAD ­ STARTER
the windbag plateau
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 11, 2008 07:48 |  #3

Thanks Fedka... I will give that a try a bit later today when I get home! :D

Gear

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 11, 2008 08:25 |  #4

...and after you hit choose selected another dialog box will come up. In the bottom left corner of this box there is a check box you can click on to view previews of what you will be importing. By default this is off, I like it on. Also, in this dialog box you can, and should, add keyword(s) that will be attached to all the images you will be importing. Keywords make it easy to find images later.

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX
http://www.pixelcraftp​hoto.com (external link)

Richard_Miami
THREAD ­ STARTER
the windbag plateau
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 11, 2008 08:29 |  #5

Dermit

Sounds like a plan! I love this forum. I can ask dumb questions and get GREAT answers. Thank you!

Gear

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 11, 2008 08:53 |  #6

Very good suggestions from Dermit but personally I don't like the idea of assigning keywords at this stage; especially since its very easy to apply keyword tags from the Library Mode. You can use the keyword sets, the Painter, and even drag-and drop thumnails over keywords in the Keyword Browser to add them to your photos. Unless the assigned keywords are common to ALL the images being imported its not the optimal strategy in my opinion.

Instead, what I do at the import stage is to assign bulk metadata that will be shared with all images. Items like my name, address, contact info, website address and, most importantly, copyright status. I have a saved Metadata Preset called "Common Metadata" which as the name implies contains metadata entries that are common to all my photos.

After importing, I go to the Library Mode and in Grid View I work from the general to the specific. That is, I select all the newly imported photos (CTRL+A) and add keywords that are applicable to all the photos (e.g. if they were all shot at the same event or same location). Then if the photos contain unique elements I want to specifically identify, I go back to the beginning, enable the Auto-Advance function, select the first thumbnail and add those unique keywords (Names of people in a photo, for example). The neat thing is that keywords appear in the Keyword Browser panel (left side of Library Mode) so its easy to select a group of thumbnails that have common elements and drag-and-drop them on to the keyword(s) you want to apply.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear List

Richard_Miami
THREAD ­ STARTER
the windbag plateau
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 11, 2008 09:15 |  #7

Fedka
That workflow makes sense. I have been using a similar Common Metadata profile in Bridge. All the legacy photos I will be importing retain that metadata - I was able to confirm that with the several single imports I made. I need to check if the keywords are retained also.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes a dual processor Vista 64 machine with 4 gb of RAM to import about 7,000 photos into the library.. :)

Gear

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 11, 2008 09:30 |  #8

You have no worries. Since metadata in both Lightroom and the entire CS3 suite is stored in the XML-derived XMP format, keywords created in Bridge will be read in Lightroom and vice versa.

It really should not take a long time. What you'll want to do is leave "Initial Previews" set to the default "Minimal," then after importing is complete go to Library Mode, select all the imported photos, then from the menu select Library > Previews and choose from either Standard or 1:1 previews.

You don't have to render previews but if you don't they will be rendered when you first open each image and again when you switch zoom levels. On some computers this causes momentary pauses so its better to render them up front and get it out of the way. While the rendering is being done in the background you could also be applying keywords.

Gear List

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 11, 2008 09:41 |  #9

Fedka,

Yes, I also attach metadata with copyright, contact info, etc. with a custom preset. Forgot to mention that as once you set it the first time all future imports will default with this preset metadata attachment.

I do assign keywords at import 99% of the time because 99% of the time all the shots I am importing are from the same shoot so at minimum I add the clients name and the type of shoot, i.e. wedding, family portrait, etc. Then for specific keywords for individual imags I usually use the spray can method.

One thing you mentioned I am not familiar with... what is Auto-Advance function? What does it do and how do I set it?

5DmkII, 5DmkIII, 5DS R, 15mm, 16-35 f/2.8 II L, 100 Macro f/2.8 L, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, 85 f/1.8, 580EX II, 580EX, 550EX

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 11, 2008 09:59 |  #10

Ron, look under Photo > Auto Advance. By default this function is not enabled but when turned on it advances the selected thumbnail in the filmstrip without the user having to click on that thumbnail. This is very useful when keywording, selecting PICKS, or rating images.

Gear List

Dermit
Goldmember
1,815 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Apr 11, 2008 10:55 |  #11

When does it advance? After any one function is applied to an image? Or just when using ratings and assigning keywords?

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 11, 2008 11:39 |  #12

I only use it for rating, tagging and sorting images but presumably it can also be used for editing since the function also works in the Develop mode. For example you should be able to apply a preset to one image then immediately advance to the next image without having to select it in the filmstrip.

Gear List

Richard_Miami
THREAD ­ STARTER
the windbag plateau
1,367 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 12, 2008 06:24 |  #13

Fedka & Dermit

Thank you both again for your help. Your directions worked perfectly. I was able to catalog thousands of photos..both CR2 and Jpg in a few minutes. Timing is not important as my file methods have them in very different areas of my drives.. so I have to point LR at them. I will not add everything, as this is the beta version and the catalogs may not carry forward into the release version.

Thanks again! This is the best of POTN! :D

Gear

sponsored links

1,971 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lightroom 2.0 Library question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.