Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 17 Apr 2008 (Thursday) 06:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Am I a "photographer"?

Claire
Ikea Wannabee
8,181 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 17, 2008 06:51 |  #1

I was browsing the photography forum of the biggest Swedish photo communities. The age old question (in that forum at least) is "Can I call myself a photographer on my business card?"

Then a big discussion starts and I'm curious to see the POTN:ers opinion.

Am I a "Photographer"? Are you?

My Photo Website - (external link) | My Flickr gallery (external link) | Photography Blog (external link) | My Twitter account (external link) | Become a Fan on Facebook (external link)
"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"

sponsored links
clickcanon40
605 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 17, 2008 07:27 |  #2

well... I use a DSLR camera, I take pictures avidly, and I get paid at times. I think if you get paid at some point to take pictures and have an slr or dslr you could be considered a photographer. Maybe not a pro or semi-pro or whatever, but photographer is not an incorrect statement.

Dictionary.com defines it as- "a person who takes photographs, esp. one who practices photography professionally."

Please check out my blog: www.redfuzzstudios.com​/blog (external link)

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

Apr 17, 2008 07:28 |  #3

At this time, I don't have business cards so, for me, it's a moot point. However, when I did have cards, I wasn't too comfortable with the title since I do not draw an income from photography. Personally speaking, it's hard to use the title "photographer" if I shoot for pleasure. If someone needs to contact me, I just write down my email address.

My humble two bits...

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

elysium
"full of stupid banter"
11,619 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: Harrow/London/UK/GB/That Part Of The World/Next To France

Apr 17, 2008 07:30 |  #4

On my business card, I have put it down as "Clarity Rebirth (my portfolio's name) Photography"

The reason why I chose to word it like this is that it does not put me down officially as a photographer by title or qualification but is an overview of what my portfolio covers.

If people wish to hire me as a photography by viewing my photographic portfolio, then I am happy to do so. Otherwise, im just someone who is interested as a hobby.

Everyday, a programmer finds a way of creating an idiotproof program. Everyday, the universe spits out another idiot.....So far, the universe if winning

John_B
Cream of the Crop
7,057 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Sep 2006

Apr 17, 2008 07:37 |  #5

Claire wrote in post #5346980 (external link)
Am I a "Photographer"? Are you?

Claire,
Yes I am ;) are you? ??? :lol:

Sony A6500, A6000, Apeman A80, & a bunch of Lenses.............  (external link)
click to see (external link)
JohnBdigital.com (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,463 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 17, 2008 08:26 |  #6

I’m not sure I understand the question. “Am I a photographer?” Well, anyone who takes a picture is a photographer, no? But I think what you might really be asking is “Am I a professional photographer?” but that is a much different question. But even there, as there are no standards, anyone can print up business cards and start earning a living taking pictures. But then the question really becomes “Am I a good professional photographer?”

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,538 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Apr 17, 2008 08:35 |  #7

gjl711 wrote in post #5347463 (external link)
But then the question really becomes “Am I a good professional photographer?”

If you have made enough money using your camera to swim in (a la Scrooge McDuck), then I suppose you are a good professional photographer. ;)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

Claire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Ikea Wannabee
8,181 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Apr 17, 2008 09:04 |  #8

gjl711 wrote in post #5347463 (external link)
I’m not sure I understand the question. “Am I a photographer?” Well, anyone who takes a picture is a photographer, no? But I think what you might really be asking is “Am I a professional photographer?” but that is a much different question. But even there, as there are no standards, anyone can print up business cards and start earning a living taking pictures. But then the question really becomes “Am I a good professional photographer?”

I did ask the question like that just to see everyone's take. Many in the Swedish forum wants to print up business cards etc and everyone is asking if they can use the title "photographer". And that's when the discussion starts...

I just want to see what you guys think and see if you guys reason like the Swedes. :)

My Photo Website - (external link) | My Flickr gallery (external link) | Photography Blog (external link) | My Twitter account (external link) | Become a Fan on Facebook (external link)
"You too, could easily look like that if you had a squad of mad geeks fussing over you with retouching software"

squashed
Goldmember
3,884 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 17, 2008 09:10 |  #9

I am a photographer because I take pictures. I am not a pro and I would never put "photographer" on a business card because its not my business... Its my therapy.

1D MK IV and a 5D MK IV with stuffing...
Sony A6000 added to the mess !
http://www.garyyoungph​otography.com (external link)

JimAskew
Cream of the Crop
7,328 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 17, 2008 10:31 as a reply to  @ squashed's post |  #10

I am a pro bono photographer and proud of it :) I could charge for my work, and, in fact, have been offered payment after the fact. But I always say no...photography is what I do to keep my life in balance.

Jim -- I keep the G5X in the Glove Box just in case!
7D, G5X, 10-22MM EF-S, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 24-105MM f/4 EF L

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,463 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 17, 2008 10:32 |  #11

In the states there are very few professions that require some sort of certification or license before you are allowed to practice your craft. Doctors, lawyers, teachers, truck drivers need to prove some level of competence before they can go out and practice their craft. Others like engineers usually need to prove some level of education before they will get hired.

But photographers fall into the “anyone can be one” category. All that is needed is the will to make a go of it. For example, my son financed a large chunk of his schooling taking head shots and putting together portfolios for the theater crowd with his old Rebel and kit lens. He had made up business cards, passed them around campus and within a month paid off the investment in camera. All the rest went to tuition. He was a working professional, had business cards and needed nothing more than a trip down to Kinko’s to get them printed up and camera gear to start his business.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Tandem
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 17, 2008 12:51 |  #12

I call myself a photographer and I have it printed on my business cards. I let others decide if they want to tack on the professional part, I don't use the word to describe myself.

I receive a good portion of my income from my day job but that will change once I retire (in 230 days).

Bill - A model needs careful lighting, professional makeup and expensive clothes to look as beautiful as any ordinary woman does to a man who has fallen in love with her.
G10, 5D, 1D2n, 1D3, 1Ds3, 1.4x, 2x / 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f4, 300 f4 IS / 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 200 f2.8, 300 f2.8 IS, 400 f2.8 IS / 35 f1.4, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.2, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8M 135 f2
http://ColoradoSprings​.SmugMug.com/ (external link)

shutterfiend
Goldmember
2,058 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 17, 2008 15:45 |  #13

If you're printing business card to hand out, so people can hire you and pay you take picture of themselves and loved ones, there's little else you could call yourself.

Possible alternatives:
1. Paid photo-taker, not sure whether to call himself a photographer yet.
2. Party pooper with enormous camera contraption, who's constantly asking people to stop having fun and LOOK like they're having fun.
3. A person who rearranges all the furniture in your living room, makes you stand next to Uncle Al ... and smile !?!

https://photography-on-the.net …p=7812587&postc​ount=91776

BillsBayou
In trouble with my wife
5,018 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Apr 17, 2008 16:42 |  #14

My business card says "Geek"

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,130 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 17, 2008 16:47 |  #15

BillsBayou wrote in post #5350436 (external link)
My business card says "Geek"

But are you a good geek?

sponsored links

2,868 views & 0 likes for this thread
Am I a "photographer"?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.