Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 07:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Remote camera trigger help

RTMiller
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 21, 2008 07:38 |  #1

I would like to trigger my cameras (10D, 20D, 1D Mark III) remotely. Not all at the same time but whatever system I chose I would like it to work all three cameras. I would prefer to use radio waves because line of sight and distance will be an issue. I have two Pocket Wizards already.

Here is what I am trying to capture. There is a fox den outside my father's house in the woods. We want to set the camera on a tripod near the den and focus on the entrance area. We have a motion detector that beeps a signal inside the house when something moves near the den. We would want to trigger the camera from inside the house. The den is about 100 feet away in heavy brush. I think we will need to throw a little flash on the area since foxes are nocturnal. So I guess I can't tie up the hot-shoe.

What do you think would be the best solution? Thanks in advance.

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.com (external link)
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

bigjon0107
897 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 21, 2008 08:20 |  #2

Buy a cable that connects the PW to the camera. The PW will connect though the remote socket on the body, not the hot shoe. So it is still free for the flash. Once you get the cable, hook it up, and place it where you want; you should be in business. You trigger it by pressing the "test" button.

Jon Eilts
Gear List
SportsShooter (external link)

malla1962
Cream of the Crop
7,714 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Apr 21, 2008 10:09 |  #3

bigjon0107 wrote in post #5372751 (external link)
Buy a cable that connects the PW to the camera. The PW will connect though the remote socket on the body, not the hot shoe. So it is still free for the flash. Once you get the cable, hook it up, and place it where you want; you should be in business. You trigger it by pressing the "test" button.

And its as easy as that!;)

Gear List

RTMiller
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 21, 2008 10:10 as a reply to  @ malla1962's post |  #4

I guess I will order cable #1 from here...
http://www.paramountco​rds.com/remote.asp (external link)

Sound right?

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.com (external link)
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 21, 2008 10:29 |  #5

Make sure the cable you order is the pre trigger, this has a on off switch on it, this will keep your camera in the awake mode similar to pushing the shutter half way. If you don't keep the camera awake you will miss your shot because of the delay after pushing the test button.

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

920 views & 0 likes for this thread
Remote camera trigger help
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.