Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread

Jay ­ McLaughlin
381 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 22, 2008 12:28 |  #31

If people can crane massive panes of glass across building sites using suction cups, they should be ok for a camera.

I'm probably gonna use 3 cups to be safe though. 2 cups are strong enough to hold the rig with camera on it, but if I have 3 it means that should 1 let go, there's still enough to hold it.

Been doing some checking and all the flex I'm getting is from the center section of my boom which is because it's thinner so that I could slide it inside the other 2 sections. Gonna get some thicker stuff tomorrow!

Click for my Website (external link)
Click for my Blog (external link)
Click for my Flickr page (external link)

sponsored links
Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 22, 2008 12:52 |  #32

Jay McLaughlin wrote in post #5380833 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Forget the rig for a second, I want to see more of this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,652 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 22, 2008 13:13 |  #33

Jay McLaughlin wrote in post #5381379 (external link)
If people can crane massive panes of glass across building sites using suction cups, they should be ok for a camera.

I'm probably gonna use 3 cups to be safe though. 2 cups are strong enough to hold the rig with camera on it, but if I have 3 it means that should 1 let go, there's still enough to hold it.

Been doing some checking and all the flex I'm getting is from the center section of my boom which is because it's thinner so that I could slide it inside the other 2 sections. Gonna get some thicker stuff tomorrow!

I use two cups on my rig. I had one let go last night but the second one held just fine. The only reason it let go was because of the angle I had set.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Jay ­ McLaughlin
381 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 22, 2008 13:17 |  #34

I was thinking about this logically. I was going to put 2 cups under the upright of my rig, but it suddenly dawned on me that that part is just the pivot point of the rig. If it's going to let go, it'll be at the very back end where it has to take the strain of all the weight. So I'll be putting 2 cups there and 1 at the pivot.

Mark1 - If you look at the front, you'll see that the front bumper is on the floor. There's actually no front end at the moment! It's been sat in my drive like that for over a year! Keep spending too much money on camera gear to get it back on the road! I will do it one day though!

n1nj4 ­ m0d3
578 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Apr 22, 2008 15:22 |  #35

Jay McLaughlin wrote in post #5381747 (external link)
I was thinking about this logically. I was going to put 2 cups under the upright of my rig, but it suddenly dawned on me that that part is just the pivot point of the rig. If it's going to let go, it'll be at the very back end where it has to take the strain of all the weight. So I'll be putting 2 cups there and 1 at the pivot.

That's the same reason why I'm going to re-do my set up. I rather have two smaller suction cups (Woods LJ45) at the end of the pole than one bigger one (Woods G0695). It's not that it's going hold better (my suctions cups are rated to hold 125 pounds each), but because my friends are going with smaller cars which equals to smaller flat surface area.

I like the underneath rigs a lot more because there is less post processing and a lot less bounce, but my main gripe about that set up is that it will take a bit longer to set up, harder to transport, might involve getting your clothes dirty, lower cars will have issues, and how will will it really hold?

Flickr (external link)http://www.myspace.com​/2srow4u (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,652 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 22, 2008 15:27 |  #36

Jay McLaughlin wrote in post #5381747 (external link)

That's the reason I modified my rig and added some counter weight at the end. I want the suction cups to be near the center of mass without any strain on them. Take a look at my pictures on the first page. You'll see some perforated steel bars behind the cups. This is my counter weight. It worked well too as I had my front cup come loose during my test shot (my fault...not the cups fault) and the whole rid still held firm with only one cup.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

240dreams
116 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 22, 2008 20:05 |  #37

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i60.photobucket​.com …27/KhmerSoul/IM​G_5271.jpg (external link)

Under-car rigs FTW!

Jay ­ McLaughlin
381 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 23, 2008 03:54 |  #38

99% of the cars I shoot are too low with deep side skirts. Under car rigs just aren't an option

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,882 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Apr 23, 2008 07:31 |  #39

240dreams wrote in post #5384275 (external link)
QUOTED IMAGE

Under-car rigs FTW!

Nice push-back! Getting ready for take off? ;)

Any pics/write-up of the rig itself?

5D Mark III | 135L | 24-70L | 580EXII | Flickr | Instagram (external link)

Jay ­ McLaughlin
381 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 23, 2008 08:04 |  #40

Done a bit more work on mine today. I've replaced the centre section of the boom as it was flexing too much. The whole thing now measures 12ft +

There's not much up and down flex anymore, but there is a bit of sideways play.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Haven't done any motion shots yet. I need to get another superclamp so that I can have 3 cups instead of just 2. Until then I don't trust that it won't fall off despite it being properly fixed no matter how much I push and pull it!

aridan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,882 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Apr 23, 2008 08:26 |  #41

Jay McLaughlin wrote in post #5387194 (external link)
Done a bit more work on mine today. I've replaced the centre section of the boom as it was flexing too much. The whole thing now measures 12ft +

There's not much up and down flex anymore, but there is a bit of sideways play.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Haven't done any motion shots yet. I need to get another superclamp so that I can have 3 cups instead of just 2. Until then I don't trust that it won't fall off despite it being properly fixed no matter how much I push and pull it!

Looking good! What type of head do you have attached to the super clamp? and what type of pole did you use (where did you get it)?

5D Mark III | 135L | 24-70L | 580EXII | Flickr | Instagram (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 23, 2008 08:41 |  #42

Be careful!!! that thing looks like it will topple over a Smart car. he he he

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Jay ­ McLaughlin
381 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Apr 23, 2008 08:54 |  #43

Ok so I got impatient, so here's a motion test. It's overexposed because it's far too sunny for these shots and I don't have an ND for this lens yet.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Need to work on stopping the sideways flex as there's just a bit too much.

This shot was at half a second with me pushing veeeeeeeeeery slowly!

240dreams
116 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 23, 2008 13:14 |  #44

aridan wrote in post #5387022 (external link)
Nice push-back! Getting ready for take off? ;)

Any pics/write-up of the rig itself?

I'll have pics of the rig soon. I'm finishing it up at the moment.

CorzyPhoto
748 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Apr 23, 2008 14:06 |  #45

Wow, this is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much!

Would you guys be so kind and tell me your materials list?

n1nj4 - That is one ghetto fab rig! LOL Works well though!

Nice pictures everyone.

flickr (external link)

My Site (external link) (Under Construction)

sponsored links

4,354,497 views & 536 likes for this thread
Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.