Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 10:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread

StE823
430 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 09, 2014 11:04 |  #10336

If anyone is interested, I have a set of 4 rigpro booms pickup in Toronto area, $225 for the set. Thanks!

http://www.shutterlit.​com (external link)

sponsored links
NKZY
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 09, 2014 23:06 |  #10337

Here is my first attempt at a rig shot. Shot using my RigPro boom (Thanks again Andrew!). Critiques are much appreciated. To be honest with myself, the clone job is kind of sloppy, it could use a more interesting background, and it sure is hurting for a sky replacement but those things aside I am fairly happy with it for my first attempt! It is a single 2 second exposure.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7052/13752104924_c0e27b9b9e_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mXe8​Fj  (external link)

GTR3451
203 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Apr 09, 2014 23:30 |  #10338

Looks good to me, especially for your first time. I'd PS the levels to bring out a bit more contrast and detail but still nice. what lens did you use?

Canon 6D | Canon 17-40L f/4 | Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS

NKZY
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 09, 2014 23:40 as a reply to  @ GTR3451's post |  #10339

It was shot with a tamron 17-50 at 17mm and the full length of my 20 foot boom. Could still use some more room in my opinion!

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 10, 2014 08:39 |  #10340

Fantastic first shot man, seriously! You already know what to change next time, just work on all the bits, keep rigging, and you'll figure out what looks coolest soon enough!

~Andrew from Rig-Pro (external link) Gallery (external link)

NKZY
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 10, 2014 21:58 as a reply to  @ VisualEchos's post |  #10341

Without digging back through all the ridiculous number of pages here does anyone have any tips for blurring reflections in a masked stationary shot? I took a stationary to get good focus/exposure etc. and I am trying to mask in the stationary part to the rigged background and wheels but its on a black car and even though I was using a polarizer the reflections are awwwffuullll!

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 10, 2014 23:32 |  #10342

My tip is to use better equipment or better technique (or both) to get the blurry reflections naturally. :)

NKZY
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 11, 2014 01:08 as a reply to  @ VisualEchos's post |  #10343

Well I was using your boom....lol. :-P I seemed to be getting a lot of bounce/flex in the boom (even though I was pulling the car) which caused my rolling shots to be blurry so I wanted to try and use the in focus body of the car from the static shot but the reflections obviously don't look right.

What could be causing excessive bounce or movement in the boom? I had one suction cup on the front window and one on the back window with the clamps pointing in towards each other. I was using the boom close to its full length but not completely. I did have my magic arm on the very end, can this cause excessive bounce? Is there a trick I am missing or is it just literally down to trial and error?

Oh well, I guess I will have to chalk this one up to a learning experience and look into building that cable support for the boom. I tried to blend the reflections using blur and smear but I am still not very happy with how it came out. They could use some more touch up here and there but its pretty late (or early depending on how you look at it) and I have to get some sleep. Posting them up anyway to see if anybody has any creative ideas to blend the reflections better.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7453/13773089463_279b37c6c5.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mZ5F​DH  (external link)

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3758/13773424804_50206aba1f.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/mZ7p​ks  (external link)

Heres one of the 2 second exposures so you can see what I mean as well. Its not completely off, just enough though that its not really good enough to use...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 11, 2014 12:43 |  #10344

It's never one thing. It could be the surface. It could be that the cups weren't spread out far enough, I've seen that a LOT. It could be bad technique. Or a little of all 3. Basically, it's not the boom. I can show you hundreds of sharp shots with this exact boom...and no stabilizer.

However, stabilizers won't hurt! If you would like to build one, I can give you a parts list! I think it comes down to getting used to rigging, and getting used to doing all the right things.

BTW: I have used this boom at 28-feet, and at 30 seconds and gotten sharp shots. 20-feet/4-seconds should easily work, but again, there are MANY factors to consider.

P.S. It doesn't matter that your Magic Arm isn't all the way at the end, but why wouldn't you put it there? Get all the length you can!

BLOOMHOWER
397 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Joined Jan 2012

Apr 11, 2014 15:00 |  #10345

VisualEchos wrote in post #16826508 (external link)
Get all the length you can!

TWSS....

Michael Orlando
www.propergarage.com (external link) 5Dmk3 50 1.4 70-200L 2.8 IS II Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 11, 2014 15:12 |  #10346

Haha, yes she did! lol

I remember Ste Ho and I talking, years ago, about the Magic-Arm, and how we both put it at the very end, and then pull it backwards to get more length haha.

I use a 28" extension now though, a lot of times, there is less adjustment, but the boom is sooooo much easier to edit out.

Like this, only longer, so the boom is even smaller.

IMAGE: http://visualechos.smugmug.com/Other/Rig-Pro/i-bP2TTCN/0/L/24%20in%20difference-L.jpg

NKZY
Hatchling
9 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Apr 11, 2014 16:10 as a reply to  @ VisualEchos's post |  #10347

Just to be clear Andrew I wasn't blaming the boom at all! I know that's definitely not the problem. I mean the first shot I posted was the same exact set up and turned out great. I was just a little disappointed when I couldn't duplicate the results the second time.I was just looking for other possible causes. I had the cups spread probably a good 3.5-4 feet apart over the roof of the car so I don't think t could be that. I also did the same thing with the magic arm, all the way at the end of the boom and then stretched backwards for more length. Like I said before, guess I'll chalk this one up to a learning experience! Thanks for all the help!

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 11, 2014 16:17 |  #10348

Just go through the steps, your next one will be sharp, promise.

- select the smoothest surface you can
- spread the cups out as far as humanly possible, like 5-8 feet, get creative with the mounting
- pull the car with a cable (and remember, forward or backwards means nothing in rig-shots)
- 2-second shots for the ground, wheels, and car in general - 4-6 second shots for the background
- multiple shots

If you are still having an issue, I'll sell you a stabilizer cable at cost. One way or another, we're going to get you sharp :).

steelbluesleepr
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Apr 11, 2014 16:24 as a reply to  @ NKZY's post |  #10349

to get steadier shots, I attach one end of a strap to my camera and add some tension to the boom. This helps to dampen the oscillations inherent in the boom. additionally, don't use the entire car from the static shot. Just mask in the pieces of it that help make the car look sharp; pieces like the badges, panel edges, headlights, etc. the rest of it can come from the moving shot to give the blurred reflections.

-Jayson- my flickr (external link)
In the bag: 5D mark II+Vello grio/10d+grip/Canon 17-40L/Canon 28-135/Canon 50 1.8/Canon 35-80 Macro Conversion/Vivitar 135 2.8 M42/Vivitar 28 2.5 M42/Yongnuo YN460II x3/Yongnuo RF-602 x3

VisualEchos
Goldmember
1,683 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Apr 11, 2014 21:11 |  #10350

I have no idea what you guys are doing to get soft shots, maybe not taking enough photo's? I usually come away with 100 or so, everything from 2 seconds to 8 seconds, f18 to f11. But IIRC, most all of them are sharp. Maybe you guys are going too fast? All you need to do is CREEP (song about that somewhere). Seriously, however slow you're going it's probably not slow enough.

sponsored links

4,457,780 views & 537 likes for this thread
Official Automotive Rigs - DIY Thread
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Transportation Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.