Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 12:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why, why, why.....???

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 21, 2008 12:33 |  #1

Why… does everybody ask “how much should I charge”? I don’t get it. I mean, I understand that people want to get an idea of what the going rates are, but there’s no right answer to this question. There are too many factors that determine price. Everyone has to come to their own conclusion on what they think their work is worth.

For example: I may take the exact same photo as you, on the exact same day, with the exact same equipment, at the exact same shoot… and I may sell my photo for hundreds or even thousands of dollars more than you. Why? Maybe I feel that my work is worth more than yours. Maybe I have a lot of expertise and feel that I’m one of the top professionals in my field. Maybe I just have a name like “Picasso” and everything I do will automatically be inflated in value. Or maybe I’m just a good salesman and can get people to pay 10 times the going rate for my work. The bottom line is there are tons of factors involved, and there is no easy way to answer the “how much do I charge” question, as the answer is almost always very personal and subjective.

Everyone should be asking themselves, at the very least these questions. How much is your time worth? How much is your effort or labor worth? How much money does it cost you to create the work? Then there are tons of other question you may need to take in consideration from the buyer. Are they going to be profiting off your work is a big one. But perhaps one of the most important question you should be asking yourself is, “how much is it worth to YOU”.

Perhaps the better question people should be asking is, “what’s the going rate for an 8x10 glamour shot (or whatever it is you’re selling) and then adjust your price from there based upon your own personal answers to questions like the ones posed above.

sponsored links
gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,615 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 21, 2008 12:43 |  #2

Why the rant?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Bubble
Goldmember
3,382 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 21, 2008 12:46 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

same thing with "what lens should i get" question. :)

Canon 5D II, 7D | 16-35L II | 24-70L | 24-105L | 50L | 85L II |  iMac 27 | Redrock Micro DSLR Cinema Bundle | Elinchrom Ranger RX-AS Kit| Elinchrom Digital Style 1200RX/600RX | Turbo SC |

MikeMcL
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 21, 2008 12:54 |  #4

people seek support and validation. They just want someone to tell them what their labor is worth. Much the same when someone takes a decent pic, and puts it up hoping for praise. Most of the time, they ask for critique... but rarely want true critiques.

The funny thing is, you can almost never give an exact number... you have to talk them around the idea so that they can decide for themselves.

I say, sell it for the most you can get people to buy it for. If they wont buy it, lower the price a bit.

Lolz.

350d, 5d, 28-70L, 70-200L, 430EX,
50 1.8, 85 1.8 - full alienbees studio set.

MikeMcLane.comexternal link

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 21, 2008 13:05 |  #5

I thought it was a rather self-evident question. People who do not usually sell their photos really have no idea what to value it at. It may be true you might be able to sell the same shot for thousands. But to someone who never even thought of selling it, may offer it for $35. This hurts those who can sell. So to try to be fair, people will ask and try to price accordingly. Most of them will never even imagine they can sell a shot for a thousand dollars, no less several thousand. The opposite is also true, if for some odd reason they love their crappy picture but try to sell it for thousands..... well you know the rest.

I know I have the same question at times. I have not sold a picture in 10 years. But now that I am shooting again, I have no idea what the current market is like.

Its a shame people cant be more supportive of the newbies. If we don't share and teach......we are working in a dieing industry.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 21, 2008 13:11 |  #6

Ledrak wrote in post #5374261 (external link)
“how much is it worth to YOU”.

Perhaps the better question people should be asking is, “what’s the going rate for an 8x10 glamour shot (or whatever it is you’re selling) and then adjust your price from there based upon your own personal answers to questions like the ones posed above.

I hate to burst your bubble but it doesn't really matter how much it's worth to you, it's what will the market bring? You can charge anything you want but if no one is willing to pay then you may as well be asking yourself, "How much do I enjoy this without getting paid"?

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Apr 21, 2008 13:30 as a reply to  @ RandyMN's post |  #7

I have pretty much quit contributing to those posts. I also realize that those that are asking the question have a valid request but tend to think that this place is going to provide a quick answer without having to work too hard themselves on hunting down what their local market is charging. Randy is correct, it is the market that will dictate what the user will get for this.

Someone in upper Bolivia (as an example) posts a question that a local business wants to buy his picture. What value is it to say what it would go for in Los Angeles, London or Toronto. Virtually none, imo. Those asking what they should charge for their first wedding can quite easily find prices on those very quickly. Google is an amazing tool.

Having said that there will continue to be these questions and if those that wish to answer them should do so in a manner that will actually help the poster. Once they get an answer the thread will pass and we can do it all over again. There is not much sense in flaming the poster for asking and I have seen that done here many a time.

I understand the OP's need to post this. It should be said every now and then. I have seen the same question posted by different members just a couple of hours apart. There seems to be an overall tendency to not search and to not refer to the the stickies. Some of the questions are so common sense that if they sat back and reflected on it they would get their own answer.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 21, 2008 13:36 |  #8

RandyMN wrote in post #5374501 (external link)
I hate to burst your bubble but it doesn't really matter how much it's worth to you, it's what will the market bring? You can charge anything you want but if no one is willing to pay then you may as well be asking yourself, "How much do I enjoy this without getting paid"?

True... but what I was actually trying to get at with that statement was, if the photo is worth $200 to you, then why not try to get $200 for it instead of going on a forum and asking how much do I charge for this?

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 21, 2008 13:40 |  #9

ssim wrote in post #5374625 (external link)
I have pretty much quit contributing to those posts. I also realize that those that are asking the question have a valid request but tend to think that this place is going to provide a quick answer without having to work too hard themselves on hunting down what their local market is charging. Randy is correct, it is the market that will dictate what the user will get for this.

Someone in upper Bolivia (as an example) posts a question that a local business wants to buy his picture. What value is it to say what it would go for in Los Angeles, London or Toronto. Virtually none, imo. Those asking what they should charge for their first wedding can quite easily find prices on those very quickly. Google is an amazing tool.

Having said that there will continue to be these questions and if those that wish to answer them should do so in a manner that will actually help the poster. Once they get an answer the thread will pass and we can do it all over again. There is not much sense in flaming the poster for asking and I have seen that done here many a time.

I understand the OP's need to post this. It should be said every now and then. I have seen the same question posted by different members just a couple of hours apart. There seems to be an overall tendency to not search and to not refer to the the stickies. Some of the questions are so common sense that if they sat back and reflected on it they would get their own answer.

I totally agree. And my reasoning for posting this thread was never in any attempt to flame anyone, but merely to address an issue that continually repeats itself on the forum, and one that people really should be able to answer on their own.

Gary_Evans
859 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 21, 2008 14:00 |  #10

ssim wrote in post #5374625 (external link)
There seems to be an overall tendency to not search and to not refer to the the stickies. Some of the questions are so common sense that if they sat back and reflected on it they would get their own answer.

Aint that the truth!

Gary
www.myeventphoto.co.uk (external link)
www.garyevansphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)

Stocky
731 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 22, 2008 13:09 |  #11

If those posts bother you the you could always just not read them...

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

jcolman
Goldmember
2,651 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 22, 2008 14:45 |  #12

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

lbeck
Goldmember
1,147 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 24, 2008 12:27 |  #13

Stocky wrote in post #5381684 (external link)
If those posts bother you the you could always just not read them...

I'm with stocky on this one. Why read and complain about it, just dont look at it. Or maybe you have lots of time on your hands?

5D3 | 35L | 85 | 135L

Fade2
Goldmember
1,114 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 24, 2008 12:42 as a reply to  @ lbeck's post |  #14

Why ask, why why why?
People need to know.
Some new photogs were not born with price guides in their crib.

If you can help then help!
If not keep going.
Just that simple. :confused:

Have you ever asked for any advice?

MyGear

[SIZE=3]Trust no shadow after dark! ;)

Ledrak
THREAD ­ STARTER
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 24, 2008 14:21 |  #15

lbeck wrote in post #5395427 (external link)
I'm with stocky on this one. Why read and complain about it, just dont look at it. Or maybe you have lots of time on your hands?

It's kind of hard not to look at them when nearly every other post manages to slip the price question in at the end.

sponsored links

2,497 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why, why, why.....???
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.