Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 21:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

cutie

ForumForker
690 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 21, 2008 21:15 |  #1

Just took a quick pic as she walked by. She turned to look at me and her hair was moving as the shutter snapped. Retouched in PS elements. 1DmkIII, and 380EX II, 24-105L. Tell me what you think.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
ForumForker
THREAD ­ STARTER
690 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 22, 2008 21:00 |  #2

Wow! Over a hundred views, and not a single comment. Is it good? Bad? Do you hate it? Love it? Or just not give a crap? Thanks.

swampler
879 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 22, 2008 21:06 |  #3

View to post ratio is always bad on these forums.

I think the biggest problem is the motion blur, which is logical since you appear to be inside and said she was walking by. Looks like you needed a flash or faster shutter to freeze her and get a sharper image.

Despite that, she's a cute girl and the image is good enough for your memories.

Steve

ForumForker
THREAD ­ STARTER
690 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 22, 2008 21:46 |  #4

Thanks for taking the time to reply Steve. I was using the 380EX II flash. I found the soft focus very pleasing. Maybve I'm the only one. Thanks again.

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 23, 2008 03:23 |  #5

The kid is cute but the image has problems like swampler said.

azpix
Goldmember
3,335 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 23, 2008 03:43 |  #6

too much image blur.

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20 and a DJI Mavic Pro Drone

swampler
879 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 23, 2008 07:49 |  #7

I hesitate to post again as I don't want to offend. If you find it pleasing, that's good, but that is not what I would call soft focus. It is definitely motion blur. Since you used flash, it must be in fill mode because you had enough ambient light to still show the blur, despite using flash. What mode was your camera in?

Steve

Ferrari ­ 1
Goldmember
1,724 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 23, 2008 08:03 |  #8

Your right, she is cute. But I do have to agree with the others. The image is terribly out of focus. That having been said, if you like that, that's all that matters!

Ferrari 1
www.EYE-SCAPE.com (external link)

Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.

ForumForker
THREAD ­ STARTER
690 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 30, 2008 21:23 |  #9

I wish I had never posted this pic. I did not realize it was so terrible. Please forgive me for posting such a POS in this hallowed forum.

swampler
879 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 30, 2008 22:02 |  #10

LOL! You shouldn't ask for feedback if you don't want it. I don't think anyone here was being rude to you, but only trying to help. Good luck with your photos.

Steve

gooble
Goldmember
3,149 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 30, 2008 22:34 |  #11

I don't think anybody criticized you for liking it. If you like it, that's fine.

But you asked what people thought of it, and they told you. Are they to be faulted for that?

Don't you want some constructive criticism? I think that's that's what was given.

Take some more pictures and keep posting for advice and I'll guaranty that you'll get better.

ijohnson
Goldmember
1,646 posts
Joined Nov 2003

May 01, 2008 14:42 |  #12

You are welcomed to feel as if this is pleasing. Beauty is in the eye.....

From a technical standpoint, the lighting is too direct and too harsh, and the motion blur takes away from what would probably be a very cute girl.

If you break too many rules, you are likely to get some negative feedback, but it's also possible that you can create a work of art. This is probably not the latter, but keep trying and keep posting.

You are lucky to have found a forum that has people who can be honest with you. I credit most of my ability to the people here and they have torn my pictures up for 5 years and I don't ever want them to stop.

www.trickoflight.net (external link)
http://www.pbase.com/i​tj12345 (external link)
Original 5D still ROCKS!!!

Ferrari ­ 1
Goldmember
1,724 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 01, 2008 14:55 |  #13

ForumForker wrote in post #5437673 (external link)
I wish I had never posted this pic. I did not realize it was so terrible. Please forgive me for posting such a POS in this hallowed forum.

Sorry you got offended by some of the comments around your photo, but it does happen. I have been bashed many times, here, and that's how I learn. The comments and criticisms here are rarely mean-spirited.

So, keep shooting away and, remember, if YOU like it, well that's what is important!

Ferrari 1
www.EYE-SCAPE.com (external link)

Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.

ChromeThunder
650 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Apr 2008

May 01, 2008 15:06 |  #14

While this is not technically a great photo (for the reasons already stated here) I rather like the image. It caputres an impromtu moment passing in time and to you it may also tell a story about her.

And before you become too critical of yourself, just remember that sometimes it's a matter of a split second between getting a good shot and a superb shot. You felt you had an opportunity to get a shot and this is what came of it. There's no reason to feel faulted for that.

Children are often supremely difficult to photograph so don't get too down on yourself.

Canon 5D Mark II *Canon 1D Mark IV * EF 28-135mm * Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM * EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro * EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II * Speedlite 580EX II

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 01, 2008 16:35 |  #15

You are fortunate to have posted it here. In many forums everyone just tells everyone else how great they are and no one learns anything. Take a look at some of the critiques in the glamour and nude section. It may be an eye opener.
We all fall in love with our own work. It is only through the eyes of others that we can achieve a more objective view. This will improve the quality of our work. :)

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

sponsored links

2,585 views & 0 likes for this thread
cutie
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.