Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 21 Apr 2008 (Monday) 22:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

POTN G-series Speed Challenge #168 - Statues and Monuments

rpolitsr
5,977 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 21, 2008 22:13 |  #1

Challenge #168 - Statues and Monuments

A person, an animal, a mythical being, a thing, whatever poeple made into a statue. Also monumets, artificial or natural. Natural Monuments may present an aditional challenge: people viewing the image shoud think ‘monument’ rather than ‘landscape’ :) .

Enjoy.

Remember: If you submit a picture, you may become the winner, be ready to host and judge the next challenge!

Challenge #168 - Statues and Monuments WINNERS

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3480/4024482269_d25ec89040_o.gif

My original thought was about massive statues or big monuments, but I failed to explain that, so the small figures like the first post were ‘automatically’ admitted. :)

• BobsYourUncle - G9 - Monkey Business
    The monkey is an interesting figure; it can be scaring with dramatic lighting, but the fill flash worked fine to make it friendly. Perhaps a ‘key’ light to cast some soft shadows may help, though.
    -

• jhoesly - G9 - Horse Sense
    Good exposition and interesting shadows in the statue. For me, the sign in the background becomes almost the main subject due to the extremely tight crop/framing of the statue.
    -

• racingsafetyman - G9 - Ladies in Waiting
    It is an interesting capture of the ladies waiting for their final destination. Nice soft shadows and good decision to turn it into B&W so the grass is just an un-conspicuous background. Can you show us them in the intended final location?
    -

• Boutty - G6 - Legends (aust. tennis)
    I like the composition. The backlight casting long shadows is interesting. The B&W conversion and added noise almost integrated the live subject to the row of statues. Somebody may think that the main subject in the foreground, although a tennis legend as you said, is not (yet) carved in stone and does not qualify as statue :).
    -

• Pete - G9 - London Sphinx
    I liked the lights on the distant background and their reflections on the water. Raising the dark shadows of the statue a little bit seems to enhance the sphinx on my monitor. Is it (the sphinx) part of the resurrection of Egyptian forms in London around 1920?
    -

• KC Jewel - G6 - Ensenada
    I was not sure if the flag qualified as a monument or not until I compared the size of the people standing by the pole with the pole itself and with the flag. A pole 100 m high (more than 300 feet) and a flag of 1800 m2 (more than 15 thousand square feet) can only be described as monumental. You got a good place for the shot to show us the flag in its real size.
    -

• Michael Wells - G9 - "For those who served..."
    This picture may be another tight framing for me, but the position of the statue’s head, the shadows and the camera’s point of view contributes to an interesting dramatic mood. Well done.
    -

• pgm - G9 - I've seen the light!
    The photography describes the monument quite well. The low camera position shows the crux dominating the scene, the monument’s size is measured by comparison with the trees, the sun behind it and glaring through the structure adds a ‘mystic’ sense. The title describes the subjective perception of the photographer. Well done.
    Theoretically, the centered crux breaks the rule of thirds, but the broken rule seems to work fine here.
    -

• marie - Pro1 - Salute to Nelson in Trafalgar Sq
    A difficult balance of exposure between the sky and the other elements perfectly nailed. I think I also found a fine sense of humor there, capturing the back of the admiral to enhance the incredible array of horns/speakers mounted on what resembles a hat or a temple from the ancient Thai Kingdom (Thailand). Wonderful picture, marie. You got to explain us the origin of the pole with the horns. :)
    -

• Dave Page - G9 - Disney Dreams Come True
    A Disney Castle is always a monument to Joy. Perfect timing to capture the fireworks behind it. From the exif, 1/3” shutter speed seems slow for the steadiest hand. Did you shot on a tripod? Was IS enough to avoid blurring the image on a hand held shot? Beautiful composition and exposure.
    -

• bsmotril - G9 - Texas State Capitol
    Interesting picture. The building itself, as a symbolic representation of the State, may be considered a monument. It is a nice perspective, difficult to achieve on a big building with a wide open zoom.
    -

• Kevan_G9 - G9 - Eeewww...too much saturation, the sky is totally blown out and the noise!
    I liked the Dougherty’s grave initially posted, but this ‘urban’ statue is interesting as well. I like the composition with the camera behind the shoulder of the ‘critic’ :) and the ‘artist’ attention to the work in progress. Is the group a permanent exhibition on the sidewalk?
    -

• mikeofmandan - G9 - (missing title)
    A beautiful work with welded iron rods!. The B&W works fine, although I guess it has not too many colors in the color version either. Careful exposition, it is easy to get the clear parts overexposed whit an overall dark image. Nice composition of the detail. Do you have a wider view of the statue? I wonder if the whole thing is as dramatic as the detail in your photo. Great picture!.
    -

• Gary W. Graley - G7 - Man of La Mancha
    Don Quijote de La Mancha has a lot of statues in almost every style. This stylized representation is beautiful and the old looking buildings behind enhance it. I like how the light coming from the side creates volume in the statue and in the tower in the far background although the texture of the wall in sharp focus behind the statue is slightly detrimental. An unavoidable drawback of the deep depth of field (?) of our small sensor cameras.
    -

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2558/4024482431_2178a29a58_o.gif

Some notes:
  • I considered the missing title on mikeofmandan a minor rule’s break. Check how to fill the title row posting in ‘advanced’ mode.
  • I did not send a Private Message to bsmotril about his picture 794 pixels wide, but he corrected the size to exactly 800 pixels.
  • Pete posted a 1024 pixels image. He told me that all the pictures on his gallery are of the same size and I asked him not to remove it this time. I hope he will find the way to post 800 pixel images in the future (attachments hosted in POTN? a small free account to host challenge submissions?)

Many thanks to everyone; 14 interesting submissions of a high quality standard.

Remember, all my comments are nothing but my own appreciation of your work; some may be wrong, some others not accurate enough.

Regards

rafael

To submit, click "Post Reply" and put your Photo Name in the Subject Line. Don't forget your Camera Model.

Post until Monday noon GMT (external link) , 28th April 2008.

Photo Submissions

1. Camera -- Canon G-Series Camera (G1,G2,G3,G5,G6, G7, G9) or Pro 1 only.
  2. Time -- any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
  3. Size -- photo must be EXACTLY 800 pixels on the longest side, with NO BORDERS.
  4. Post-Processing -- do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
  5. Posting --
    • One photo per photographer in each challenge.
    • Photo Title in the message subject line.
    • Camera model.
    • EXIF data, if you like.

6. Commenting -- No commenting on photos by anyone, including the photographer. Once the winners are declared, photographers can add comments to their images and everyone is invited to discuss.
  7. Photo Display -- Photos must appear in this thread to be eligible.

Time

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:
  • New Topic ... As soon as possible after winning.
  • Posting Starts ... Right after topic is announced.
  • Posting Stops ... Monday noon GMT
  • Winners Announcement ... Tuesday noon GMT.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please consider turning on Private Messaging in your profile.
This will allow the host to contact you about winning or ineligible photos. You turn this feature on by clicking "User CP, Edit Options, Enable Private Messaging" (about a third of the way down the page).
Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click this sentence for Hosting Rules and Winners List.

Click this sentence for Discussion of Rules thread.

rafael
Canon EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries (external link)
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

sponsored links
BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 21, 2008 23:45 |  #2

Monkey Business

G9 - 380EX

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

jhoesly
Mostly Lurking
12 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 22, 2008 09:36 as a reply to  @ BobsYourUncle's post |  #3

Horse Sense

Canon G9

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

racingsafetyman
220 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 22, 2008 14:56 as a reply to  @ jhoesly's post |  #4

Ladies in Waiting

G9 80 ISO, f/8, 1/160

HOSTED PHOTO

Colin

My Gear List

http://www.colantra.sm​ugmug.com (external link)

Boutty
925 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 23, 2008 04:52 as a reply to  @ post 5386295 |  #5

Legends (aust. tennis)

/*G6*/

HOSTED PHOTO

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 23, 2008 13:58 |  #6

London Sphinx

IMAGE: http://www.the-aperture.com/EE/photos/normal/20080131_IMG_0061.jpg

shooting date: Jan 31, 2008
camera: Canon G9 @ 7mm
aperture: f/3.2
shutter speed: 0.3s
ISO: 80
metering: Evaluative

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

KC ­ Jewel
107 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 23, 2008 18:19 |  #7

Ensenada

Canon G6

HOSTED PHOTO

G6, 420EX, Converter W/filters, 2X Xtend-a-view, 45mm red dot speed sight with Photosolve Xtend-a-sight mount.

Michael ­ Wells
932 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 24, 2008 19:32 |  #8

"For those who served..."

G9

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 265718 does not exist. ]

Michael Wells
G9, 5D,Grip,70-200 2.8 IS,24-70,400 5.6

pgm
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 24, 2008 22:21 as a reply to  @ Michael Wells's post |  #9

I've seen the light!

G9
pgm

HOSTED PHOTO

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002

Apr 25, 2008 06:03 as a reply to  @ pgm's post |  #10

Salute to Nelson in Trafalgar Sq

Pro 1
1/400 f/4

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/image/96102737/original.jpg

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

Dave ­ Page
341 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Apr 25, 2008 12:48 as a reply to  @ marie's post |  #11

Disney Dreams Come True

Canon Powershot G9 0.3 sec F3.2 ISO 80

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i112.photobucke​t.com …Pager_2006/IMG_​1277-1.jpg (external link)

Dave Page
www.davepage-online.co.uk (external link)
Official Photographer Nottingham Panthers, Chief Photographer Powerplay Magazine

Canon 1D Mk III and 1D MkII bodies, IS L series Lenses and a large bag!

bsmotril
Goldmember
2,523 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Apr 25, 2008 13:30 as a reply to  @ Dave Page's post |  #12

Texas State Capitol - G9

G9 - F8 at 1/250

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2012/2440731569_e369f55b2b_o.jpg

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/ (external link) --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/ (external link)

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 26, 2008 07:39 as a reply to  @ bsmotril's post |  #13

Eeewww...too much saturation, the sky is totally blown out and the noise!

G9:

HOSTED PHOTO

kevan's lens (external link)

mikeofmandan
54 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Apr 27, 2008 16:28 as a reply to  @ Kevan's post |  #14

Canon G9

HOSTED PHOTO

Gary ­ W. ­ Graley
Goldmember
1,326 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Apr 27, 2008 22:07 as a reply to  @ mikeofmandan's post |  #15

Man of LaMancha

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …G7/Cervantes/IM​G_1438.jpg (external link)

Canon G7 at f4, 1/500 sec

G2

5D Mark ii, 17-40L, 70-300L, 100L, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, S100

Umm..He's Sick, My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Ferris pass-out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious……

sponsored links

13,303 views & 0 likes for this thread
POTN G-series Speed Challenge #168 - Statues and Monuments
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.