Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Apr 2008 (Tuesday) 20:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why no archive for individual cameras?

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 22, 2008 20:06 |  #1

I always looks through the lens archive and was wondering why we don't have a camera archive. It seems like we already have a few threads in this forum with people asking pictures from specifc cameras.

What does everyone else think or am I alone?

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,971 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 22, 2008 20:24 |  #2

Probably because the lens dictates more of the IQ than the body. With the last 2 or 3 generations of the Canon bodies, the largest differentiation is the ISO performance, so if we had an archive by body for ISO performance that would make sense.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

thekid24
pro-zack-lee
8,545 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 22, 2008 20:30 |  #3

Agreed with above. Really no point to it...unless its just to show photos of the camera not photo from the camera.

flickr (external link)

David ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 22, 2008 20:38 |  #4

Good to hear other opinions. I do go through Pbase by different camera models as much as I do lenses.

flickrexternal link

jmik26
917 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 22, 2008 20:45 as a reply to  @ David S's post |  #5

Check out http://www.pixel-peeper.com/ (external link)

www.jmikosphotography.​com (external link)

David ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 22, 2008 22:02 |  #6

TeamSpeed wrote in post #5384393 (external link)
Probably because the lens dictates more of the IQ than the body. With the last 2 or 3 generations of the Canon bodies, the largest differentiation is the ISO performance, so if we had an archive by body for ISO performance that would make sense.

Just to add, I don't agree with this 100%. Improvement in ISO is not the only thing we should be considering. With new cameras, we are getting new sensor technology, better analog-digital conversion such as the new 14-bit ADC giving more latitude in PP and tonal range, better autofocus technology either it be tracking or focusing in low light, better in-camera noise reduction, other good features such as HTP, etc. These are things I wouldn't mind comparing between different cameras especially if using the same lens.

flickrexternal link

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
38,971 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Apr 22, 2008 22:30 |  #7

However, those other factors are entirely to hard to compare between cameras, unless somebody has the same bodies and then shoots the same conditions with each with the same lens. It is too difficult to determine between two different persons' shots, which has the better IQ due to the newer tech or the lens or the lighting.

HTP is the only other item that may be interesting along with the ISO factors of the bodies, but again, if you don't know what the conditions are, one person shooting the bride and getting details in the normally blown out areas compared to somebody elses shot could be the lighting, the settings, etc.

Now if rules were established that somebody with multiple bodies would shoot the same shot with the same lens to add to the camera archive, that would be especially helpful.

I tried to get an ISO registry thread started where folks could shoot the same things with their different bodies, but it never took off. It would have been the most controlled comparison threads out there where you find the common items, list your settings and show your ISO results for the different bodies. Without some sort of controlled set of rules, a camera body thread would just turn into a photo gallery that would have nothing really to do with the body as much as individual creativity.

https://photography-on-the.net …54&highlight=IS​O+registry

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

NZDoug
"old fashion"
1,499 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Location: French Bay, on the shores of the mighty Manukau Harbour, Aoteoroa

Apr 22, 2008 23:32 |  #8

How about 5D archives of photos shot while wearing yellow socks?

HEY! HO!
LETS GO!

David ­ S
THREAD ­ STARTER
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Apr 23, 2008 00:05 |  #9

TeamSpeed wrote in post #5385192 (external link)
However, those other factors are entirely to hard to compare between cameras, unless somebody has the same bodies and then shoots the same conditions with each with the same lens. It is too difficult to determine between two different persons' shots, which has the better IQ due to the newer tech or the lens or the lighting.

HTP is the only other item that may be interesting along with the ISO factors of the bodies, but again, if you don't know what the conditions are, one person shooting the bride and getting details in the normally blown out areas compared to somebody elses shot could be the lighting, the settings, etc.

Now if rules were established that somebody with multiple bodies would shoot the same shot with the same lens to add to the camera archive, that would be especially helpful.

I tried to get an ISO registry thread started where folks could shoot the same things with their different bodies, but it never took off. It would have been the most controlled comparison threads out there where you find the common items, list your settings and show your ISO results for the different bodies. Without some sort of controlled set of rules, a camera body thread would just turn into a photo gallery that would have nothing really to do with the body as much as individual creativity.

https://photography-on-the.net …54&highlight=IS​O+registry

When I wrote the word "compare", I should have been clearer. I didn't mean comparing with controlled test shots but just shots you want to share much in the same way as the lens archive.

We already have some threads started in this forum which are like the lens archive in the links below.

40D - https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=428408

10,20,30D - https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=491354

5D - https://photography-on-the.net …php?f=9&order=d​esc&page=7

flickrexternal link

thekid24
pro-zack-lee
8,545 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 23, 2008 00:08 |  #10

NZDoug wrote in post #5385552 (external link)
How about 5D archives of photos shot while wearing yellow socks?

Pffft Im down....I just gotte get some yellow socks.

Oh no...wait...I think im going to POTN this subject and have to ask...canary yellow or banana yellow?

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,314 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why no archive for individual cameras?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.