Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 05:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Max size card for Mark III

RTMiller
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 23, 2008 05:44 |  #1

What is the biggest card (CF and SD) that you can use with the Mark III? Is there a max?

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.com (external link)
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

sponsored links
Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 23, 2008 06:57 |  #2

Todd I could be wrong but I don't think with the current size cards available that there is no limit at the moment. Even the EOS 5D recently had a firmware update to correct the 8 GB limit is had.

wilvoeka
597 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 23, 2008 08:20 |  #3

I havent tried it, but I read the 32 Gig SD cards will work in it.

basroil
Cream of the Crop
8,015 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 23, 2008 08:22 |  #4

all fat32 and fat16 cards will work with mkiii, and it will properly format cards up to at least 16gb (haven't tried higher ones). the only "exception" to this is that to update firmware, you need to be using a fat16 card (just your average up to 2gb card will work fine)

edit: in fact, practically any eos camera can read almost any size card it has. the only real problem is in formatting the cards

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 23, 2008 09:22 |  #5

basroil wrote in post #5387278 (external link)
edit: in fact, practically any eos camera can read almost any size card it has. the only real problem is in formatting the cards

Well, 10D or later; if you have a D60 or earlier, you either stay at or below 2 GB or format the larger cards FAT16 manually in your computer.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Andy1265
196 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Apr 23, 2008 09:25 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #6

Is there a sweet spot for cards or is it user preference. For example is it better to have a bunch of 2gig cards or a couple of 4gig cards?

Canon 40D | 28-135 IS | 85 f/1.8 | 55-250 IS | Domke F2

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 23, 2008 09:31 |  #7

I use 4 GB for the 5D and 1D3; get about 200-250 shots (RAW+Small JPEG) per card (about the most I consider manageable at one go) and backs up nicely to a single DVD on the go. On the 20D and D60 I use 2 GB cards for, again, around 250 shots/card. Other people will tell you smaller is better since a card failure will lose you fewer photos, but I haven't had a card failure in several years, and that one didn't cost me any pictures, with a good recovery program. SanDisk replaced it free, too.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

mbellot
"My dog ate my title"
3,359 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 23, 2008 09:31 |  #8

Andy1265 wrote in post #5387577 (external link)
Is there a sweet spot for cards or is it user preference. For example is it better to have a bunch of 2gig cards or a couple of 4gig cards?

Personal preference really. I'm sure plenty of people enjoy shooting lots of pictures and not having to change the memory card.

For myself, I have a stack of five 2GB Ultra II cards that get rotated from camera to PSD and back when I'm shooting in volume. I figure if something "bad" happens I've lost one (relatively small) cards pictures.

The smaller cards also means each dumps into the PSD faster.

RTMiller
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 23, 2008 09:43 as a reply to  @ mbellot's post |  #9

Thanks for all the replies. I wasn't trying to start a "card size preference" debate. I know the pitfalls of using a few large cards. I just wanted to know if there were hardware or firmware limitations that would restrict the size of the card.

Todd

Equipment List

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Apr 23, 2008 09:46 |  #10

I think Tommykjensen found that an 8 GB card was fine up to about 4 GB and started running slower once he got past that on his 1D3.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

RTMiller
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 23, 2008 09:51 as a reply to  @ Jon's post |  #11

Thanks Jon. I use 4GB cards now. Sounds like it's best to just stick with them. Thanks again.

Todd

Equipment List

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,275 posts
Joined May 2005

Apr 23, 2008 09:58 |  #12

I have a 32GB card. Someone want to bring a 1DMIII to me to test? ;)

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

eigga
Goldmember
2,208 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 23, 2008 10:11 |  #13

I use dual 8GB cards (CF and SD) When full I take both out and put in the next set of 8GB cards. Dual cameras/cards/hard drives are a requirement for me!

-Matt
Website (external link)
Facebook (external link)
Instagram (external link)

michael_
Goldmember
3,450 posts
Joined May 2006

Apr 23, 2008 17:14 |  #14

who makes 8gb SD cards?

ichael ... (external link)
vettas media (external link) (me) | myGear (all my equipment) | sportshooter (external link) (my sportsshooter member page)

Steve ­ Beck
Goldmember
2,503 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 23, 2008 17:46 |  #15

I use 16gb crds without any issue in my MkIII's..

Gear List? My gear is bigger than yours? Just shoot have fun...

sponsored links

1,787 views & 0 likes for this thread
Max size card for Mark III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.