Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 24 Apr 2008 (Thursday) 08:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Forums Are Like A Snail On Crack

BrewsterPilot
484 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 24, 2008 08:44 |  #1

POTN has been loading unbelievably slow the last 24h or so, one post at a time with attachments hardly showing at all. In many cases it's taken up to 30 minutes for a single page to load properly. What's wrong? I tried connecting through the direct IP address, but to no avail.
And btw, I'm on broadband... Imagine the poor dial-uppers!:p

Thanks,
-Brewster

sponsored links
Pekka
El General Moderator
17,752 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Mar 2001

Apr 24, 2008 09:10 |  #2

Propably bad DNS server somewhere. Based on active traffic and users, post intervals and server logs there nothing odd going on in server and data moves at full speed. If I were you I would check your PC for unwanted visitors, and firewall settings.

To have a possibility to solve what is wrong between POTN and your PC, PM me your IP and traceroute from your PC to POTN.

The Forum Boss, El General Moderator
AMASS 2.1 Changelog (installed here now)

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 24, 2008 09:31 |  #3

BrewsterPilot wrote in post #5394157 (external link)
Imagine the poor dial-uppers!:p

Hey, I'm on dial-up and the forums load just fine. Like billy whizz!

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Mike
ugly when I'm sober
15,397 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2006

Apr 24, 2008 09:56 |  #4

Not just you - there's another thread like yours in this section that started today.

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickr (external link) Insta1 (external link) Insta2 (external link)

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

eddarr
There's Moderators under there....
8,907 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 24, 2008 11:24 |  #5

There have been several article recently about the internet shutting down sometime in 2010 due to bandwidth requirements. This is one of them. (external link) I suspect it is just scare tactics like Y2K.

But if it happens we will all have to move into a commune so that we can keep the POTN feeling alive.

Eric

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,752 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Apr 24, 2008 11:52 |  #6

michaelgreen78 wrote in post #5394492 (external link)
Not just you - there's another thread like yours in this section that started today.

I bet the reason is some ISP's use cheap pipes that are overloaded when people get to work (.i.e too many concurrent downloaders, shared IP's). Or some people in your router space download torrents and use up all bandwitdh and the router does not have working set of rules to prioritize traffic.

Generally "cheap = not stable" when talking about ISP's. In Finland we have one new ISP who offers 24/3 ADSL 40% cheaper than others, and reports are that it works about 1 day of month at full speed, rest is like using ISDN or less.

Sometimes intercontinental fiberoptic cables and DNS servers are not working properly due to high load. Sites like http://internetpulse.n​et/ (external link) may tell if all is ok in network your ISP uses. There are also pages like http://www.eunetip.net​/utilization.shtml (external link) (refresh a few times to see more) and http://www.de-cix.net/content/networ​k.html (external link) for specific networks.

T.D.
33,582 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 26, 2008 13:19 |  #7

I was locked out last night for a long time. This morning it's extremely slow.

Gear List
Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
3,079 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 26, 2008 15:28 |  #8

It seems absolutely fine here. UK at 21:30 or so
I've been on a few times today and no problems then either. Not that that's a lot of help to you really... sorry.

BiLL

Pekka
El General Moderator
17,752 posts
Joined Mar 2001

Apr 26, 2008 15:34 |  #9

I've done some more research on this.

This morning two main net cable backbone providers had serious connectivity problems.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

from http://www.internethea​lthreport.com/ (external link) 9 hours ago.

and this has been also the cause for some people having trouble accessing POTN recently. When specific backbones get bad, DNS routing should change to avoid those backbones (e.g. http://www.nthelp.com/​maps.htm (external link)) and I have had reports that routers have not been changed when needed. Routing is changed mainly by DNS server provider and backbone provider. They know about these issues and work to solve them.

That is why some people have trouble accessing POTN, or get very slow speeds - it all depends how DNS servers route the path from their IP to POTN IP.

For example the problems few days ago were due to AT&T broken cable. The routing should have reflected this ASAP but it did not.

Keith ­ R
Goldmember
2,856 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 26, 2008 15:35 |  #10

Yep, flying along here in the NE of England.

You want sloooooow, have a trip to the Nikon equivalent of this place, www.nikoncafe.com (external link).

T.D.
33,582 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Apr 26, 2008 15:41 |  #11

I called my ISP (comcast). They reset my connection and I reset my router (forcing it to get a new IP address). This worked wonders and I'm zooming along again. The change was instantaneous with the reset.

I think it makes sense with what Pekka's saying. If there was a bad section in my existing route and I was still trying to use it, it's slow. But try a different IP and it went a different route and problem solved. Clearly I'm not expert on this (not even close!) so someone might have a different take on it. But the result was great either way. Others may want to try it as well.

Gear List
Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

sponsored links

1,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
Forums Are Like A Snail On Crack
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.