Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 25 Apr 2008 (Friday) 08:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flash or no Flash?

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 25, 2008 08:28 |  #1

Hi all, I need some tips. I have been asked to take photos for the High School Baseball teams parent night. Each player will be called out one at a time with their parents. I will be taking their picture on the baseball mound. I have no idea if the sun will be out or not, we have had real cloudy days. I need to know what the best aperature setting is and if I should use flash. I don't use my flash much outdoors so any tips on how to set up flash and camera would be great! Oh and this takes place this evening....lol. Talk about short notice

Thank you so much in advance!:D

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
Roach711
717 posts
Joined May 2004

Apr 25, 2008 08:40 |  #2

There may be a lot of variables here. Will the field lights be on? Which direction is sunlight coming from? How close can you get to the subjects?

You don't mention what equipment you'll be using so it's difficult to make a specific recommendation, but you'll have to adjust your camera/flash to the light conditions durring the ceremony.

Assuming that these pictures will be posted somewhere, you'll probably want to set your camera to manual mode for consistent exposure. Post your equipment and we can make more specific recommendations.

My best advice is to go out to the field at the same time of day that the ceremony willbe held and test out different setups. Bring along some willing stand-in "models."

---------------
50D, 100-400 L IS, 100 Macro 2.8, 24-105 L IS, 420EX, No talent

Shoot 'em all and let Photoshop sort them out.

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 25, 2008 10:18 |  #3

Yes! Flash.
If you don't have off cameras flash then use a speedlite if you have it. I assume you will be able to get fairly close to the subjects as they have asked you to shoot it. Read the stickie on flash photography in the flash section of this forum. It is well written and should be a great help. As you will be outside, forget about bouncing your flash (nothing to bounce off of). If you can, take a friend to the field ahead of time at the same time of day you are supposed to shoot and practice. Take a notebook so you can track what you did on every shot. This should help you discover the best settings to use. Shoot RAW and you will have the greatest possible ability to work with your images after the fact.
Good luck! If you do your homework you will do well!
One last thing....take at least two shots of each group. Have them close their eyes and open them on the the count of three. Give them a second and hit the shutter. This is how you get everyone with their eyes open at the same time. :)

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

Cody21
592 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 25, 2008 10:27 |  #4

The thing I struggle with is getting the proper DOF when taking a group shot. I typically use just single point AF (Center point) - but more often than not, I get like 3-4 people in focus around that center point. Any recommendations on a proper Aperture to assure that everyone is in Focus when taking a photo of say 10-15 people and using a FLASH?

---------------

5DM3 | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 70-200mm IS f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 | Speedlite 430EX

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 25, 2008 13:53 |  #5

f8
Also use as wide a lens as you can without getting a lot of distortion.

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 25, 2008 15:20 |  #6

thank you so much for the tips. I have been at work all day, so don't have much time to go practice. This is going to take place in 2hrs. It is very over cast so I am assuming I won't need a flash. Yes/No?...lol. I have listed my equipment. Thanks again.

Brittany

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 25, 2008 15:21 |  #7

Take the flash along, mount it to the camera, and flip the power switch to "off" if you don't need it.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

partsman
210 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 25, 2008 15:37 |  #8

You may want to take a step ladder if their on the baseball mound otherwise all the pictures will have them looking down at you.

Mark
50D l 350D l 70-200L f/2.8 IS l EFS 17-85 f4.0-5.6 l 50 f/1.4 l 430EX

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Apr 25, 2008 17:47 |  #9

TAKE THE FLASH ALONG!
Yeah I'm yelling! :)
I would use mine as a matter of course for the type of shoot you are doing. It will also help you to avoid motion blur.

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Apr 27, 2008 21:10 |  #10

Thanks for all the tips. Shoot went well. Nothing better than an over cast day.

Brittany

sponsored links

754 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash or no Flash?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.