Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Apr 2008 (Monday) 00:53
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Batteries DO make a difference - test results

BobsYourUncle
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 28, 2008 00:53 |  #1

After recently picking up a used 380EX off Craigslist, My new set of standard Duracells did not take very long before the recovery time was getting excessive.

During a big family gathering today, I missed a few good shots waiting for the flash to recharge. It was getting up around 15 seconds, and the batteries have only been in there for a few days and maybe a hundred pictures or so.

So I have spent a few hours in here, searching, reading posts about batteries and studying what all of you have found.

Based on what I read here, I decided to go buy a set of Duracell rechargeable 2000mah precharged NiMH batteries.

I plugged them in tonight and all I can say is WOW!!! What a difference.

I got a timer out and ran a test on full power. With a fresh set of Duracell alkaline batteries, it took about 5.9 seconds to recycle. I pulled those out and tried my new Duracell rechargeables. Under exactly the same conditions, the recovery time was about 4.3 seconds, or about one and a half seconds less. I'm impressed!

It was really hard to resist my own feelings and get the older style 2690 mah rechargeables as opposed to the 2000 mah ones I bought, but I listened to you guys and did what was recommended.

What puzzles me is that these batteries are only 1.2 volts instead of 1.5 to 1.6 the standard Duracells are.

Just thought I would share my findings and verify that the tests done here by others are very accurate.

Thanks, guys!! :D

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

sponsored links
Analog6
565 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 28, 2008 00:57 |  #2

Interesting, isn't it. You'd assume (there's that word!) the stronger ones would be better. Maybe they are too much power and it takes longer adjusting or processing or something.

Odille
---------------
My Facebook (external link) / Photo Blog (external link) / RedBubble shop (external link) / My Calendars (external link)

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Apr 28, 2008 00:57 |  #3

Yes.

I tried using duracells once, on a job when I didn't have anything else. It's a waste of money and NiMH work much better.

I save duracells for different applications, where you need low current and you don't want them to go bad fast. I have one in my lightmeter and it works fine.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

steveathome
Goldmember
2,174 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 28, 2008 01:05 |  #4

BobsYourUncle wrote in post #5418040 (external link)
What puzzles me is that these batteries are only 1.2 volts instead of 1.5 to 1.6 the standard Duracells are.

I understand rechargeables have a lower internal resistance, and so can produce more current when needed.

Col_M
Goldmember
1,110 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Apr 28, 2008 05:46 |  #5

steveathome wrote in post #5418100 (external link)
I understand rechargeables have a lower internal resistance, and so can produce more current when needed.

Yes, rechargeables perform much better than alkalines in high drain situations.

Some info on it here http://www.greenbatter​ies.com/batterymyths.h​tml (external link)

Col (short for Colin)

5D+Grip¦24-70L¦50 1.4¦100 2.8 Macro¦Sigma 70-200 EX DG¦430EX

SolidxSnake
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 28, 2008 06:06 |  #6

Internal resistance is the answer. The lower internal resistance, the faster the recharge. The higher the mAh, the longer the batteries last before they are dead/need to be recharged.

Troubleshooting 101 (see also: LightRules,perryge):
1) RTFM.
2) Repeat Step 1.

Gear ~ DeviantART (external link) ~ My Heatware (external link)

keegsmeister
380 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Apr 28, 2008 06:19 |  #7

Hmm I've said that I will go down to the local shops to get me some Energizer NiMH rechargable batteries...but they go down for $20 for 4 AA batteries...I can get 8 of them on eBay for that price!

Still bargain hunting on eBay for a good set of Energizers...maybe I should look at Duracell instead :)

Keegan.
5DMK2+50D | 70-200mm f/2.8L and f/4L IS USM | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 17-40mm f4L | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 15mm f/2.8 fisheye | 580EX2 | 430EX |
http://www.keeganwong.​com/blog (external link)

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 28, 2008 08:06 as a reply to  @ keegsmeister's post |  #8

Or spend your money on a power pack and you are good for over 1,000 flashes, at least I am and I only recharge it about once a month..it is good for all my shooting all month long.

BobsYourUncle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,529 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 28, 2008 09:33 |  #9

keegsmeister wrote in post #5418877 (external link)
Hmm I've said that I will go down to the local shops to get me some Energizer NiMH rechargable batteries...but they go down for $20 for 4 AA batteries...I can get 8 of them on eBay for that price!

Still bargain hunting on eBay for a good set of Energizers...maybe I should look at Duracell instead :)

The information I read from other threads here indicated that the Duracells out-performed the Energizers. I didn't try it myself, I just read it here from others who did.

Set Goals!! If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!
EOS 70D
G1X .... and this other stuff
G11 and
380EX & 430EX
G9 - DEAD (self destructed) I'll fix it one day!

PhotosGuy
75,650 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Apr 28, 2008 09:50 |  #10

I've had good luck with the Powerex 2500 mAh niMH ones, but they're a tiny bit fatter than the other batteries. I just peeled off the label.
http://thomas-distributing.com …echargeable_bat​teries.php (external link)
http://thomas-distributing.com …-nimh-battery-charger.htm (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

SolidxSnake
Goldmember
1,656 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Apr 28, 2008 14:04 |  #11

I just got in 8 Eneloops along with a BC-900 charger, grand total $63.something with shipping from www.thomasdistributing​.com (external link).

Troubleshooting 101 (see also: LightRules,perryge):
1) RTFM.
2) Repeat Step 1.

Gear ~ DeviantART (external link) ~ My Heatware (external link)

sponsored links

1,615 views & 0 likes for this thread
Batteries DO make a difference - test results
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.