Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 28 Apr 2008 (Monday) 16:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50mm f/1.2L

totalbeginner
613 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 28, 2008 16:56 |  #1

Now that this lens has been out for a while, I'd like to get peoples opinions of it. I'm aware of some of the focusing issues that it has been plagued with and want to know if they really affect the performance of the lens? Are some copies worse than others? Does it only happen in extreme shooting conditions?

View my gear list HERE
Don't submit to stupid rules, be yourself and not a fool. Don't accept average habits, open your heart and PUSH THE LIMITS!

sponsored links
philthejuggler
Goldmember
2,300 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 28, 2008 17:21 |  #2

I believe this lens has a design fault which will only bother you if you shoot f2.0 to f4 ish at close distance to the subject. Many happy users on this forum but I returned mine.

Blog (external link), Website (external link) http://www.pho2u.co.uk …pher-in-northamptonshire/ (external link)
1DsIII, 5DIII, ZE21mm, 50mm 1.2, 85mm 1.2II, 135 f2, 580EXIIx2, X-Pro1x2, 18-55, 35 1.4, 60 2.4, EF-X20

TheGreatDivorce
811 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 28, 2008 17:42 |  #3

I'm totally happy with mine. Seems that lenses with date codes of UV07xx and newer have the issues sorted. Check out the 50 f/1.2L Lens Archive thread, and a long thread where I posted my initial observations (and others chimed in with good info).

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,592 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 28, 2008 17:45 |  #4

The "design fault" was not a design fault by the looks of it, but an electronic problem, focusing wise. It also looks like it has been solved since UV07 date code lenses, and that the fix can be "retrofitted" to older lenses.

Check these threads:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=488779
https://photography-on-the.net …hread.php?t=307​389&page=8
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=486681

Kind regards, Wim

5D Mk II & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & a solitary zoom, OM-D E-M1 Mk II, Pen-F & Panasonic GM5 with 11 primes, 8 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

philthejuggler
Goldmember
2,300 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Apr 29, 2008 01:09 |  #5

My lens which I returned focussed perfectly, but the focal plane moved when stopped down a little. I think this was due to a lack of floating elements inside the lens. If this is correct then it cannot be fixed electronically.

Blog (external link), Website (external link) http://www.pho2u.co.uk …pher-in-northamptonshire/ (external link)
1DsIII, 5DIII, ZE21mm, 50mm 1.2, 85mm 1.2II, 135 f2, 580EXIIx2, X-Pro1x2, 18-55, 35 1.4, 60 2.4, EF-X20

kevEOS
282 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 29, 2008 01:20 as a reply to  @ wimg's post |  #6

Someone should start a poll very specific to f/2-f/4, 1-1.5 meters (3-5ft) to see if the newer build codes have the shift.

Non of this @f/1.2 is fine business. I also believe it's very hard to come to any solid conclusions in the past because of a reportedly large copy variance.

Anyone want to volunteer to make the poll? I have no experience setting up polls and just want to make sure it's done right.

30D | 50D | 7D | 5D III | 24L | 40STM | 50L | 135L | 2470L | 2470L II

JAcosta
Goldmember
1,522 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Apr 29, 2008 03:41 |  #7

I loved mine and will be buying another in a month or so. I lost the previous one in a trade for a 5d.

Like any of the photos Ive posted?flickr flickr flickr (external link)
^^^Click Here^^^
Chances are you'll see something else you like!

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Apr 29, 2008 03:44 |  #8

I have had no problems with mine, more than happy with it across its entire f/ range.

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

wimg
Cream of the Crop
6,592 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 29, 2008 05:15 |  #9

philthejuggler wrote in post #5424866 (external link)
My lens which I returned focussed perfectly, but the focal plane moved when stopped down a little. I think this was due to a lack of floating elements inside the lens. If this is correct then it cannot be fixed electronically.

The lens actually passes on distance information. It is a matter of a simple table based on distance information and f-stops for the lens to know what to do. The camera tells the lens where to move to, and based on distance and f-stop information it does a look up in the table, and moves accordingly. That there still may be some small shift is logical; the information passed back and forth between camera and lens is digital, not analog, hence information and movement goes in small steps rather than completely fluid.

Regardless of the solution is, it looks like the problem has been solved, to me anyway.

Kind regards, Wim

5D Mk II & EOS 5 (analog) with a gaggle of primes & a solitary zoom, OM-D E-M1 Mk II, Pen-F & Panasonic GM5 with 11 primes, 8 zooms, 3 Metabones adapters/speedboosters​, and an accessory plague

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,523 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 29, 2008 09:45 |  #10

I've got a UV0101 lens that was calibrated at Canon in January (past the UV07xx code timeframe) and I recently went out solely to test out the 50L... Can't say I found any evidence of a focus shift and am quite pleased with the quality; bokeh, sharpness, build, etc.

I did do some quick tests when I first got the lens and could've sworn I saw the focus shift when specifically looking for it, but I'll have to revisit - as my lastest experience proves otherwise.

The first page and a half are all 50L shots: http://litpixel.com …exhibition=32&e​e_lang=eng (external link)

I might add that I specifically choose my single AF point; rarely using the center one, never multiples. So no focus and recompose.

La Vida Leica! (external link)LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1v-HS/1d Mk IIn w/E-1 & Op/Tech straps
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 29, 2008 10:25 |  #11

Double Negative wrote in post #5426524 (external link)
I've got a UV0101 lens that was calibrated at Canon in January (past the UV07xx code timeframe) and I recently went out solely to test out the 50L... Can't say I found any evidence of a focus shift and am quite pleased with the quality; bokeh, sharpness, build, etc.

I did do some quick tests when I first got the lens and could've sworn I saw the focus shift when specifically looking for it, but I'll have to revisit - as my lastest experience proves otherwise.

The first page and a half are all 50L shots: http://litpixel.com …exhibition=32&e​e_lang=eng (external link)

I might add that I specifically choose my single AF point; rarely using the center one, never multiples. So no focus and recompose.

Those look great. I am just going to have to dig in and get one. :)

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,729 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 29, 2008 10:28 as a reply to  @ SoaringUSAEagle's post |  #12

I'll probably send mine in just to have "it" done.
However, I've been pretty happy with my 50L.

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,523 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 29, 2008 10:36 |  #13

Jeff Allred wrote in post #5426802 (external link)
Those look great. I am just going to have to dig in and get one. :)

Thanks, Jeff!

Go for it, it's a great lens IMO (though I can't talk about early copies). At first I was very turned off to this lens as it didn't appear to live up to the hype. Now that it's been out for a while and the latest copies (or those calibrated) seem to work as they should, it has everything going for it. The more I use mine, the more I like it.

You might consider a used one, making it a sweeter deal. Then if you decide you don't like it for whatever reason, you can sell it again for a similar price - as opposed to taking the hit from new. I didn't want to gamble and pay full price myself, so I got a used one - but calibrated by the previous owner w/Canon. Turned out to be a great deal (<$1k).

La Vida Leica! (external link)LitPixel Galleries (external link) -- 1v-HS/1d Mk IIn w/E-1 & Op/Tech straps
15mm f/2.8, 14mm f/2.8L, 24mm f/1.4L II, 35mm f/1.4L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L II, 135mm f/2.0L
16-35mm f/2.8L, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, Extender EF 1.4x II & 2x II

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Apr 29, 2008 10:39 |  #14

Double Negative wrote in post #5426897 (external link)
Thanks, Jeff!

Go for it, it's a great lens IMO (though I can't talk about early copies). At first I was very turned off to this lens as it didn't appear to live up to the hype. Now that it's been out for a while and the latest copies (or those calibrated) seem to work as they should, it has everything going for it. The more I use mine, the more I like it.

You might consider a used one, making it a sweeter deal. Then if you decide you don't like it for whatever reason, you can sell it again for a similar price - as opposed to taking the hit from new. I didn't want to gamble and pay full price myself, so I got a used one - but calibrated by the previous owner w/Canon. Turned out to be a great deal (<$1k).

I'm in that exact same boat. I'm debating. I can order from Canoga today with the current price before the hike. I have owned the 50 1.4 before and liked it but my copy was not tack sharp. I guess I expect too much lol.

But now that I have waited this one out and the later copies seem to be a-okay... I may just dive in. I am searching for used though.

:)

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Double ­ Negative
*sniffles*
10,523 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 29, 2008 10:43 |  #15

At least with the 50mm f/1.2L, it's sharp wide open - which isn't necessarily true for the 50mm f/1.4. So if you like the focal length but didn't like the f/1.4 for whatever reason... By f/1.4 there's no contest. I love to shoot the 50L around f/1.4-1.8. Not quite wide open, just a little sharper, and enough DoF to get most of a subject (if not all) in focus at a little distance. Makes images just pop.

One thing I really like about it is the fact that it's weathersealed. It pushed me over the edge to getting it... Something that none of my other primes offer and being able to lurk in the dark even in foul weather and still be able to shoot... Score.

sponsored links

3,017 views & 0 likes for this thread
50mm f/1.2L
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.