Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 30 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 13:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Street Performers: "We ask people to give us a dollar for taking our picture"

Permagrin
High Priestess of all I survey
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 30, 2008 16:53 as a reply to  @ post 5436294 |  #31

what I don't understand...you guys are upset because they want a dollar for nothing....but in a sense, don't you want a photo for nothing?

Seems to me there's a bunch of double standards here.

If you want something for nothing, concede them their right to want the same.

.. It's Permie's world, we just live in it! ~CDS

sponsored links
Kittygraphix
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 30, 2008 17:02 |  #32

Permagrin wrote in post #5436315 (external link)
what I don't understand...you guys are upset because they want a dollar for nothing....but in a sense, don't you want a photo for nothing?

Difference being is that I'm not gonna take the picture I just took and trade it for a crack rock. I'm not going to contribute to the dirt in our city. That's why they linger around, people give them money for stupid things like this so they don't leave.

So you are saying you are willing to pay a dollar for every click of your camera? So a typical photoshoot would cost you $300.00 to shoot...wow you must be loaded rich to want to throw away all that money:)

~Kat
Gear: continually growing and changing!!!!
http://kittygraphix.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/749345 (external link) http://myspace.com/kit​tygraphix (external link) ittygraphix@yahoo.com (external link)

BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Apr 30, 2008 17:02 |  #33

BottomBracket wrote in post #5436265 (external link)
But aren't those street performers part of your culture? Do they not have a hand in making New Orleans more colorful? In your first post you declare this: "I'm local, go hustle the tourists," and walked on. I find this attitude kinda heartless, especially since you deemed that the scene was worthy of taking a photo.

I'm there to take shots of things that strike my eye. Scantily clad women strike my eye. I hope the tourists aren't coming to see these people. I'd say they're a dollar a dozen, but someone would state that I should have given her 8-cents.

If you're an oddball on the street, you're going to get your picture taken. Feel free to ask, but I'd rather you go hustle the tourists.

Oh, and if I'm a tourist, I don't pay either.

Take only pictures, leave only footprints...
"Cameras don't shoot people. Photographers shoot people." - Me
I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006
Location: New Orleans, La. USA! Favorite Cheese: Caciocavallo Invention: Incendiary Spit-Bomb Wait. What?

Apr 30, 2008 17:03 |  #34

Permagrin wrote in post #5436315 (external link)

It's my right to take a photo for nothing.

It's their right to ask for a dollar.

It's my right to refuse.

I like the way this stacks up.

I must not break rule GN.4, Please help me un-see that photo, I must not break rule GN.4...
Gear List

Permagrin
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 30, 2008 17:04 |  #35

Kittygraphix wrote in post #5436354 (external link)
Difference being is that I'm not gonna take the picture I just took and trade it for a crack rock. I'm not going to contribute to the dirt in our city. That's why they linger around, people give them money for stupid things like this so they don't leave.

So you are saying you are willing to pay a dollar for every click of your camera? So a typical photoshoot would cost you $300.00 to shoot...wow you must be loaded rich to want to throw away all that money:)

I do leave a dollar if I take a photo of a street performer and no I'm not loaded. I just don't assume I have the right to take someone's photo, just because they occupy space in the direction my camera is pointed. I consider it a courtesy. And not every street performer is a junkie...some are just performers...your generalization is rather condescending.

Permagrin
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 30, 2008 17:05 |  #36

BillsBayou wrote in post #5436365 (external link)
It's my right to take a photo for nothing.

well Bill...there's where we differ. I don't believe it's my "right" to take anyone's photo. I feel like it's a privilege, should I want to take someone's photo, to be granted the opportunity.

BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 30, 2008 17:06 |  #37

Kittygraphix wrote in post #5436354 (external link)

LOL

Most of these performers are the bottom feeders. They're there because the tourists are there.

I've figured that the only people who really make the money in the quarter are the people who sell metallic make-up. I mean really. How many silver or gold painted "Living Statues" do we need?

Gear List

BottomBracket
Cream of the Crop
6,398 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Apr 30, 2008 17:07 |  #38

nicksan wrote in post #5436266 (external link)
If I am reasonably entertained, I wouldn't mind giving the "performer" some change or a dollar. However, I have a problem when they become pushy with the donations. They are in a public place "performing". It would be different if they were in some venue, having to pay to "perform" at that venue. But then, you would pay before entering also so...

I don't have a problem with it as long as they don't pressure you for the donation.

The thing about NYC is, yes there are tons of "struggling musicians" out there. In fact, there are no less than 3 where I get on the subway to go home. Really annoying too. Playing the same crap every friggin day burning my ears. same tune. Same pet phrases/licks. Zzzzzzz....I usually put on my iPod and call it a commute. Street performer or not, you've got to earn it. If you suck, then you ain't getting jack from me. And a lot of the performers in NYC perform on the street for a reason...b/c they suck. Sorry...that's the truth!:cool:

I hear ya Nick. Some performers, you can tell why they are on the streets by their talent, though I have seen some who are really talented, including this duo, nuttin but stringz (external link) who were discovered when they were young subway performers. I have also seen performers who have 'assistants' who work the crowd by holding out a cap for donations to be put in. These I am largely put off and I make it a point not to look at the performance, and tuning them out with an iPod is the way to go.

The point of this thread though is, you see a performer, you find it interesting enough to deem the scene worthy of a picture, do you not put give up some coin? I certainly do, unprodded.

Pio
Veni, Vidi, Canoni - I Came, I Saw, I Took A Picture With My Canon
Fotopio.com - Gallery of the Meandering Eye (external link)
I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar.

TeeTee
Goldmember
1,286 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 30, 2008 17:07 |  #39

I would hand them a business card and tell them to call me when they can afford me.

I can't stand people stuck up their own a$$ ;)

5DmkII & 85L
and a bunch of other glass that rarely sees the light

BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 30, 2008 17:07 |  #40

Permagrin wrote in post #5436374 (external link)
well Bill...there's where we differ. I don't believe it's my "right" to take anyone's photo. I feel like it's a privilege, should I want to take someone's photo, to be granted the opportunity.

You don't have to believe in a right for it to exist. The right is there. Well, it's here. I'm not sure about there. Just look at the paparazzi. They're executing their rights. They're abusing the daylights out of those rights, but the rights are there.

Gear List

BillsBayou
THREAD ­ STARTER
In trouble with my wife
5,024 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Apr 30, 2008 17:09 |  #41

But before I head out, I just want to say that I DO tip street performers who capture a bit of my awe.

Gear List

Kittygraphix
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 30, 2008 17:09 |  #42

Permagrin wrote in post #5436367 (external link)
I do leave a dollar if I take a photo of a street performer and no I'm not loaded. I just don't assume I have the right to take someone's photo, just because they occupy space in the direction my camera is pointed. I consider it a courtesy. And not every street performer is a junkie...some are just performers...your generalization is rather condescending.

I didn't say that every street performer was a junkie. lol my father is a musician, Hun. Street performers are in my bloodline. I'm not talking about legitimate street performers.
If you would read my previous posts and stop skipping lines, you would be on the same page:) I live here, I see this day in and day out.

~Kat
http://kittygraphix.sm​ugmug.com/ (external link) http://www.modelmayhem​.com/749345 (external link) http://myspace.com/kit​tygraphix (external link) ittygraphix@yahoo.com (external link)

Permagrin
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 30, 2008 17:17 |  #43

Kittygraphix wrote in post #5436400 (external link)
I didn't say that every street performer was a junkie. lol my father is a musician, Hun. Street performers are in my bloodline. I'm not talking about legitimate street performers.
If you would read my previous posts and stop skipping lines, you would be on the same page:) I live here, I see this day in and day out.

I'm not your hun, and I did read your posts. I was referring to your comment "I'm not gonna take the picture I just took and trade it for a crack rock. I'm not going to contribute to the dirt in our city. That's why they linger around."

And I will never be on the same page with people who feel that their personal rights supersede anyone else's rights.

Kittygraphix
Goldmember
1,199 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 30, 2008 17:24 |  #44

My personal rights DO supersede the personal rights of the street urchin in New Orleans. I never said they supersede anyone else's only what we are discussing in this thread. Now who is generalizing?

I apologize if the "Hun" offended you, it's a Southern thang:) It wasn't mean't as rudeness:) hence the smilies

~Kat

Permagrin
77,914 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 30, 2008 17:28 |  #45

Kittygraphix wrote in post #5436457 (external link)
My personal rights DO supersede the personal rights of the street urchin in New Orleans. I never said they supersede anyone else's only what we are discussing in this thread. Now who is generalizing?

I apologize if the "Hun" offended you, it's a Southern thang:) It wasn't mean't as rudeness:) hence the smilies

frankly that sentiment makes me ill...and my conversations with you are finished.

The discussion of this thread by the OP was "my right to take someone's photo" and "how dare they ask for money for it".

The whole thing is riddled with arrogant presumptions, that a photographer has more right to take someone's photo than the actual SUBJECT has a right to charge for it. :rolleyes:

sponsored links

9,984 views & 0 likes for this thread
Street Performers: "We ask people to give us a dollar for taking our picture"
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.