Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
Thread started 30 Apr 2008 (Wednesday) 17:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

General Chat

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

Apr 30, 2008 17:43 |  #1

Rant...

Is it me or is General Chat getting a little out of control?

Barking dogs? Lesbians? American Idol?

What happened to the policy of all threads had to be photography-related? Hell, it's even written in the forum description:

"An area for subjects not appropriate for the other forums. Keep it related in some way to photography even if only in the abstract. Political and religious discussions are absolutely prohibited."

Pekka even made a comment, in the lesbian thread, about keeping topics photography-related.

I understand and support the community-focused idea of POTN. However, I think it's time to start enforcing the rule about maintaining this a photography website - not a "just about anything goes" forum.

The forum can still maintain the same focus as a community but let's keep it on photography subjects.

/Rant

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

sponsored links
eddarr
There's Moderators under there....
8,907 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Apr 30, 2008 17:58 |  #2

There is a lesbian thread? I'll be back in a minute. Edit: not what I thought. Oh well.

You know, I don't mind ones like the barking dog. It at least started out seeking/receiving assistance. I haven't looked at that in a few days but I have a feeling it got of topic.

The Lesbos thread...what's the point? I set up my Yahoo and Google homepages to get crappy news items like that.

And who cares about American Idol.

Eric

Stefan ­ A
"The D is supposed to be where the S is!"
2,638 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2006

May 01, 2008 05:27 |  #3

I hope it does not get enforced. I like reading about random stuff.

Stefan

80D, Canon 17-55mm f/2.8, Canon 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6, Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200mm F/4L,Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, Canon 100-400 f/4.5-5.6, Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon 580 exII Speedlite, ebay wireless trigger, Genesis 3 light kit
santwarg.zenfolio.com (external link)

Travisj
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 01, 2008 07:35 as a reply to  @ Stefan A's post |  #4

Well it is general and you don't have to read it. Seems fairly easy to me, if it's not something that you really care to visit don't hit that little button.

If you are going to walk on thin ice you might as well dance!

Karl ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 01, 2008 10:13 |  #5

Travisj wrote in post #5439520 (external link)
Well it is general and you don't have to read it. Seems fairly easy to me, if it's not something that you really care to visit don't hit that little button.

I agree with you which is why I don't read threads with titles unappealing to me. However, there are plenty of other forums to read non-photography threads/info.

HarleyQuinn
Lucky Lucy, or I'm on Crack?
You decide.
2,472 posts
Joined May 2007

May 01, 2008 15:08 as a reply to  @ Karl C's post |  #6

Here's my take.

For all intents and puposes I am a stay at home mom. I don't get much contact with someone over 4 ft tall and with people who can hold a conversation that doesn't revolve around Littlest Pet Shop and Star Wars.

I could go to a forum for Stay at home moms, but honestly I would be bored to tears. I love this place. I've learned so much from other peoples ideas, comments and experience. It's nice to be able to pop into General Chat and talk about a few other things now and then. It keeps me sane (as I can be). If I had to choose between the photo related stuff and GC, I would choose photo, but I would probably be alot more gripey than I am now.

I appreciate everything Pekka gives us here and I hope it doesn't change too much.

Renee
~ My Gear~
flickr (external link)

alduin
915 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 01, 2008 15:35 |  #7

Well said, Lucy.

The vast majority of the forums here are photo-specific, but having the oddball general board where folks can go and are allowed to be off-topic can really help build the sense of community on a site.

Think of it like a local camera club. Sure, the majority of your activities with the club will be photography-related, but it can't be all shop talk all the time. =)

7D+BG-E7 | 5D | G9 | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 10-22mm | 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II | 430EX II | YN565EX
Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 | 680B/234RC

HarleyQuinn
You decide.
2,472 posts
Joined May 2007

May 01, 2008 15:51 |  #8

alduin wrote in post #5442096 (external link)
Well said, Lucy.

The vast majority of the forums here are photo-specific, but having the oddball general board where folks can go and are allowed to be off-topic can really help build the sense of community on a site.

Think of it like a local camera club. Sure, the majority of your activities with the club will be photography-related, but it can't be all shop talk all the time. =)

Exactly! We're like the worlds biggest camera club. Only difference we can participate in our undies. Never try that with the local clubs, they get a little uncomfortable.

Renee
~ My Gear~
flickr (external link)

alduin
915 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 01, 2008 16:00 |  #9

That would make for an interesting photowalk, to be sure.

7D+BG-E7 | 5D | G9 | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400L IS | 10-22mm | 50mm f/1.4 | 580EX II | 430EX II | YN565EX
Manfrotto 055XPROB/488RC2 | 680B/234RC

LBaldwin
Goldmember
4,490 posts
Joined Mar 2006

May 01, 2008 16:02 |  #10

LucyRoberts wrote in post #5442200 (external link)
Exactly! We're like the worlds biggest camera club. Only difference we can participate in our undies. Never try that with the local clubs, they get a little uncomfortable.

Your undies..... or the club....?
I don't mind the odd rant or OT discussion but sometimes they can get lengthy and longwinded and go on and on and on and well you know.

So I try to keep it photo or photog related and if it drifts a smidge it's ok we have GPS.

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.com (external link)

HarleyQuinn
You decide.
2,472 posts
Joined May 2007

May 01, 2008 16:06 |  #11

alduin wrote in post #5442261 (external link)
That would make for an interesting photowalk, to be sure.

Truly.

LBaldwin wrote in post #5442271 (external link)
Your undies..... or the club....?
I don't mind the odd rant or OT discussion but sometimes they can get lengthy and longwinded and go on and on and on and well you know.

So I try to keep it photo or photog related and if it drifts a smidge it's ok we have GPS.

Depending on the location of the walk, both.

I understand about the veering so far off the path thing. When it happens though I just don't go back.

I would just hate to see it get too regimented here. I belong to another forum that revolves around a soap opera :o, well, they were so anal about OT that I got an infraction for mentioning Lost. That's just insane.

Renee
~ My Gear~
flickr (external link)

prcrstn8
554 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 01, 2008 21:56 |  #12

LucyRoberts wrote in post #5442296 (external link)
I got an infraction

Hmmm, lessee ...

You're a mom, they gave you a time out. Sounds like karma to me.

Heh.

Evan
"You can observe a lot by watching"
- Y. Berra

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,138 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2005

May 02, 2008 23:42 |  #13

LucyRoberts wrote in post #5442200 (external link)

:lol::lol::lol:

I think unless things get way out of line, GC should be left alone.

'Nuff said ;):D

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

Karl ­ C
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 03, 2008 00:12 |  #14

Maureen Souza wrote in post #5451201 (external link)
:lol::lol::lol:

I think unless things get way out of line, GC should be left alone.

'Nuff said ;):D

Do I detect some disagreement in Mod-land?

:p

T.D.
33,585 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Aug 2005

May 03, 2008 09:30 |  #15

Karl C wrote in post #5451315 (external link)
Do I detect some disagreement in Mod-land?

:p

Do I detect someone just trying to stir up trouble? :p

Gear List
Take a picture, it lasts longer (external link)
(My Gallery) (external link)

sponsored links

2,995 views & 0 likes for this thread
General Chat
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Forum Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.