Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
Thread started 03 May 2008 (Saturday) 17:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro

WilsonC
219 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 16, 2011 17:57 |  #301

@ 200mm 2.8:

IMAGE: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4094/5446502846_afcbcb18ba_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …confesschrist/5​446502846/  (external link)
Black Bear (external link) by ConfessChrist (external link), on Flickr

@ 145mm 2.8:
IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5133/5445490508_5f830ce641_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …confesschrist/5​445490508/  (external link)
Meerkats, Smile! (external link) by ConfessChrist (external link), on Flickr

Christopher
50D | 450D | 50mm 1.4 | Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 | Tamron 10-24mm | Sigma APO Macro 70-300mm |18-55mm IS | 430EXII

sponsored links
rikwong
107 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 17, 2011 03:14 |  #302

WilsonC wrote in post #11830861 (external link)
Nice shot Eric!

Thanks Christopher! :D

I like the pic of the black bear, nice capture. :)

Recently I also took some photos of meerkats with the lens, here's one:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Eric
EOS M
EF-M 22mm F2 STM, EF 100mm F2.8L MACRO IS USM
Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD
Comments and criticism are welcome.

rikwong
107 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 17, 2011 03:21 |  #303

rikwong wrote in post #11814014 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

This is the underside shot of the male purple sapphire:

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5091/5448336856_9bd535c826_z.jpg

Eric
EOS M

msgnighty
48 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 17, 2011 07:49 |  #304

WilsonC wrote in post #11852423 (external link)
Anybody seen this? I checked my 70-200mm and 10-24mm, and both use 37 as the lens id (the 10-24mm had been to Tamron for repair once before!). Looks like they'll need a trip to Tamron to change the code to 137 to fix the outer cross sensors!

http://www.canonrumors​.com …n-lens-phenomenon-update/ (external link)

just send your lens to tamron - they will fix it - i got all my three tamrons updated (17-50 VC, 60 macro, 70-200) and now they work as they are supposed to!

oh - and a pic as well ;)

IMAGE: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5139/5452968893_5019225303_b.jpg

WilsonC
219 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 17, 2011 10:24 |  #305

msgnighty wrote in post #11860391 (external link)
just send your lens to tamron - they will fix it - i got all my three tamrons updated (17-50 VC, 60 macro, 70-200) and now they work as they are supposed to!

oh - and a pic as well ;)

Thanks for the input. I will be sending my lenses to Tamron in a few weeks. I have a small shoot that I want to use both my Tamrons on. It will be rough without them.

Fantastic shot!

Christopher
50D | 450D | 50mm 1.4 | Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 | Tamron 10-24mm | Sigma APO Macro 70-300mm |18-55mm IS | 430EXII

WilsonC
219 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 17, 2011 10:44 |  #306

rikwong wrote in post #11859734 (external link)
Thanks Christopher! :D

I like the pic of the black bear, nice capture. :)

Recently I also took some photos of meerkats with the lens, here's one:

Thanks Eric! I had fun testing the Tamron at the zoo. Great meerkat shot! Those little guys are fun to watch.

Wow, the purple sapphire looks completely different from that direction. Cool!

Christopher

Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 22, 2011 18:22 |  #307

so would you guys recomend getting this lens? ive held it and played with a bit (on a sony with built in VC) and i was pleased with it. was it really worth spending the money or should i save up a bit more and get the sigma 70-200 2.8 NON os?

-Brendan B.
Graphic Designer | Photographer
5D III | 5D III | Σ 35 1.4 Art | 35 1.4L | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L | 135 2L
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

WilsonC
219 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 22, 2011 19:36 |  #308

Brendo666 wrote in post #11894678 (external link)
so would you guys recomend getting this lens? ive held it and played with a bit (on a sony with built in VC) and i was pleased with it. was it really worth spending the money or should i save up a bit more and get the sigma 70-200 2.8 NON os?

I think that depends on what you want to shoot. Generally, it seems that most people who go for this lens are not shooting sports, or action primarily. This makes sense, since the AF is the worst part about this lens. I struggled with the decision to keep it or return it in towards a Sigma. The image quality on the Tamron is awesome. But... the AF doesn't seem to track moving subjects very well. That doesn't mean it is not possible. I have taken shots of birds in flight with it....but it's not as easy as the 200mm 2.8L that I had (the image quality is very close to the 200mm 2.8L, I may upset people saying that but it's true. In fact, the Tamron handles out-of focus highlights better when stopped down, no octagon shapes)!! My Tamron also has a very slight front-focus issue that I am going to have repaired....but I am going to send the 70-200mm and 10-24mm to Tamron anyways to have the lens id problem fixed (the outer focus sensors are not used as cross type sensors with the code from the factory...something Tamron goofed on for the Canon version). I'm keeping the Tamron, but if they come out with a new version with the ultra-sonic type focus motor...I will definitely buy it.

As always, I recommend you try to get your hands on a Sigma for a quick test and see how you like it compared to the Tamron.

Christopher

Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 22, 2011 19:55 |  #309

WilsonC wrote in post #11895143 (external link)
I think that depends on what you want to shoot. Generally, it seems that most people who go for this lens are not shooting sports, or action primarily. This makes sense, since the AF is the worst part about this lens. I struggled with the decision to keep it or return it in towards a Sigma. The image quality on the Tamron is awesome. But... the AF doesn't seem to track moving subjects very well. That doesn't mean it is not possible. I have taken shots of birds in flight with it....but it's not as easy as the 200mm 2.8L that I had (the image quality is very close to the 200mm 2.8L, I may upset people saying that but it's true. In fact, the Tamron handles out-of focus highlights better when stopped down, no octagon shapes)!! My Tamron also has a very slight front-focus issue that I am going to have repaired....but I am going to send the 70-200mm and 10-24mm to Tamron anyways to have the lens id problem fixed (the outer focus sensors are not used as cross type sensors with the code from the factory...something Tamron goofed on for the Canon version). I'm keeping the Tamron, but if they come out with a new version with the ultra-sonic type focus motor...I will definitely buy it.

As always, I recommend you try to get your hands on a Sigma for a quick test and see how you like it compared to the Tamron.

thank you! i wouldnt really be using it for moving subjects and if i do they wont be moving verry fast. i like to do alot of still work and trying to get to portrait type stuff and i loved the bokeh that i have seen so far. have you delt with tamrons warranty befor? is it easy to deal with? i have an xs so i dont think the outer focus points wont be effected?

nice pictures by the way

-Brendan B.
Website (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link) | Instagram (external link)

WilsonC
219 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Feb 22, 2011 20:12 |  #310

Brendo666 wrote in post #11895272 (external link)
have you delt with tamrons warranty befor? is it easy to deal with? i have an xs so i dont think the outer focus points wont be effected?

nice pictures by the way

Thanks!

I have dealt with Tamron's warranty. I had to send in my 10-24mm after receiving a lens communication error. A lot of people had the same problem with that lens. I think it took close to 4 weeks before I got it back, which is what they say is average. You can register the lens online and mail them a copy of the receipt, which they keep on file for you. Or..you can just send in the receipt with a repair request if you run into a problem. They seem to be pretty easy to deal with, and they are fast to reply to emails.

I think you are right, the XS won't be affected by the lens id problem as far as I can tell.

Christopher

Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Feb 22, 2011 22:08 |  #311

WilsonC wrote in post #11895369 (external link)
Thanks!

I have dealt with Tamron's warranty. I had to send in my 10-24mm after receiving a lens communication error. A lot of people had the same problem with that lens. I think it took close to 4 weeks before I got it back, which is what they say is average. You can register the lens online and mail them a copy of the receipt, which they keep on file for you. Or..you can just send in the receipt with a repair request if you run into a problem. They seem to be pretty easy to deal with, and they are fast to reply to emails.

I think you are right, the XS won't be affected by the lens id problem as far as I can tell.

I think I am going to pick this lens up within the next month or so. Will post some pictures of what I take with this lens to share with everyone

-Brendan B.

rikwong
107 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 27, 2011 08:04 |  #312

More local butterflies:

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Eric
EOS M

slicKrox
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Mar 01, 2011 16:05 |  #313

Hello,

I'm looking for this lens for a long time, because of all exciting photos that I've seen here, and finally planing to buy it, but now I have one small dilemma. As I understood there is two different models / version of this lens. Newer and older (which one is with golden ring in the middle, as I understood or somethere else, I'm not sure). Some, for example in eBay or amazon, are marking A001 Lens. And in UK prise its between 500 and 600 pounds. I will by for 600 ponds If I'll be sure, that this model new and everything updated.

I want to buy newest version of this lens, but I still not sure how to recognize it. One more problem, that I don't know how to recognize if lens version cross-type sensors (outer focus points) is fixed. Which ID I must to know and there I must look for it? I'll be very thankful if somebody can share their experience about that.

WilsonC
219 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Mar 01, 2011 17:33 |  #314

The newest version has the Gold band with black lettering. The older version had a black band with gold lettering. I don't know what the differences are between the two, or if it was just cosmetic.

I'm also not sure that Tamron has changed the Lens ID during production or not. I bought one not too long ago, and it has the 37 Lens ID (which means it has the outer sensor problem on my 50D). The only way I know to check it is to read the EXIF from a picture taken with the lens, using ExifToolGUI.

You can download it here: http://freeweb.siol.ne​t …foto/exif/exift​oolgui.htm (external link)

After installing it run the program. Navigate to where you photo(s) taken with the lens are, and click on a file. From the menu pick "Options > Show tag values as numbers". Then on the right hand side click on "Maker". You will see a value called "LensType"....this is the LensID. If it says "37", and if you have one of the affected cameras....then the outer sensors will not be cross type.

Christopher

Brendo666
Goldmember
1,538 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Mar 01, 2011 21:09 |  #315

WilsonC wrote in post #11938079 (external link)
The newest version has the Gold band with black lettering. The older version had a black band with gold lettering. I don't know what the differences are between the two, or if it was just cosmetic.

I'm also not sure that Tamron has changed the Lens ID during production or not. I bought one not too long ago, and it has the 37 Lens ID (which means it has the outer sensor problem on my 50D). The only way I know to check it is to read the EXIF from a picture taken with the lens, using ExifToolGUI.

You can download it here: http://freeweb.siol.ne​t …foto/exif/exift​oolgui.htm (external link)

After installing it run the program. Navigate to where you photo(s) taken with the lens are, and click on a file. From the menu pick "Options > Show tag values as numbers". Then on the right hand side click on "Maker". You will see a value called "LensType"....this is the LensID. If it says "37", and if you have one of the affected cameras....then the outer sensors will not be cross type.

if you had to buy this again for some odd reason would you? or was it not worth it? i am trying to decide between this and the sigma non os. how is the build quality on it? how is it holding up after x number of years owning it?

-Brendan B.

sponsored links

201,215 views & 3 likes for this thread
Tamron SP AF70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) Macro
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.