Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 May 2008 (Saturday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DS MkI owners unite!

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 23, 2009 09:21 |  #211

Spacemunkie wrote in post #8508418 (external link)
If noise and speed of use are important, then you *might* want to look elsewhere. Good low ISO noise and exceptional IQ for me, but gets noisy very quickly over 400ISO. I actually quite like the quality of the noise it produces as it's very fine and grain-like. It also responds well to noise reduction. Slow write times and buffer. One card slot.

Great camera but it requires a deal more patience than more modern gear I think. That said, I can't see me using my 40D much from now on :)

i´m using a EOS 1D MkI right now so also noisy and kinda old :D
but it´s fast, awesome AF-system provides with it and nice colors thanks to the ccd.
the 1Ds wouldn´t be as noisy as the 1D?!

My fotocommunity (external link) -=|=- My Gear

sponsored links
george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 23, 2009 09:24 |  #212

Great camera but it requires a deal more patience than more modern gear I think.

Spacemunkie sums it up very well with that comment.
And those are some really nice shots on the beach there in NZ !

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,546 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 23, 2009 09:24 |  #213

I doubt it'd be as noisy as the 1D... :D

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 23, 2009 09:44 |  #214

Spacemunkie wrote in post #8508445 (external link)
I doubt it'd be as noisy as the 1D... :D

oh man thats really hard....
i love my 1D...but i want FF or better iq and less noise.
not sure if i will miss the speed when trading the 1D for a 1Ds...

what would you guys do!?

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 23, 2009 09:51 |  #215

not sure if i will miss the speed when trading the 1D for a 1Ds...

If you like/need speed for what you shoot, then yes, you're going to miss it. When I pick up my 1DS after using the 1D2, then the slower FPS and the slower write times are immediately noticible.
Battery life would be better with the 1DS. I say buy it, use both together for a while then sell the one you like the least.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 23, 2009 09:54 |  #216

george m w wrote in post #8508534 (external link)
If you like/need speed for what you shoot, then yes, you're going to miss it. When I pick up my 1DS after using the 1D2, then the slower FPS and the slower write times are immediately noticible.
Battery life would be better with the 1DS. I say buy it, use both together for a while then sell the one you like the least.

ok so at first buy second cam and work with both.
i think with this option i will keep both :D

oh damn...thats hard....get 1D2 oder 1Ds...man...
i would love the speed and iq of the 1D2...
but ff sounds so nice to me...
i´m very confused

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 23, 2009 10:06 |  #217
bannedPermanent ban

cupra_flo wrote in post #8508434 (external link)
the 1Ds wouldn´t be as noisy as the 1D?!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …0Streets/1ds/F5​0S0571.jpg (external link)

Check the Exif ;) I love the noise handling on the 1ds..

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 23, 2009 10:07 |  #218

i would love the speed and iq of the 1D2...
but ff sounds so nice to me...
i´m very confused

Well, first of all, let me say that I do like the FF very, very much. However, having said that, the 1D2 crop factor is 1.3 ( which is unlike the 1.6 on the xxD and Reb series ) so the crop isn't as bad. I don't buy into the idea that crop "gives you reach"....to me, that's an excuse....a way of justifying a smaller sensor. Lenses give reach, not smaller sensors.....but oh boy....I'll probably start a firestorm with that comment.

Anyway, back on topic, I generally don't find the crop on the 1D2 "that limiting", if you know what I mean. If you came to me and said, "you have to give up one of these bodies....the FF or the Mk2", I would, without hesitation, give up the FF. The 1D2 is really awesome, but that probably says more about what I shoot that anything else.
If you are shooting subjects where you have time, and take time to set up shots, the the 1DS FF would make you, very, very happy.
If you have the money to have both cameras for a while, do it. Life's too short to agonize over this stuff endlessly.....just do it and move along. That's the only way to satisfy your curiosity and end the confusion.

regards, george w

Dave N.

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 23, 2009 10:12 |  #219

george m w wrote in post #8508605 (external link)
Well, first of all, let me say that I do like the FF very, very much. However, having said that, the 1D2 crop factor is 1.3 ( which is unlike the 1.6 on the xxD and Reb series ) so the crop isn't as bad. I don't buy into the idea that crop "gives you reach"....to me, that's an excuse....a way of justifying a smaller sensor. Lenses give reach, not smaller sensors.....but oh boy....I'll probably start a firestorm with that comment.

Anyway, back on topic, I generally don't find the crop on the 1D2 "that limiting", if you know what I mean. If you came to me and said, "you have to give up one of these bodies....the FF or the Mk2", I would, without hesitation, give up the FF. The 1D2 is really awesome, but that probably says more about what I shoot that anything else.
If you are shooting subjects where you have time, and take time to set up shots, the the 1DS FF would make you, very, very happy.
If you have the money to have both cameras for a while, do it. Life's too short to agonize over this stuff endlessly.....just do it and move along. That's the only way to satisfy your curiosity and end the confusion.

ok thats a good text :) problem is....i do have the 1DMkI...so i´m thinking about trading the 1DMkI for the MkII and only have 1 body...or getting the 1Ds FF as a second body to the 1DmKI...

so ff is not so important like i thought...hmm

sounds like the 1D2 would be the better deal?!

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 23, 2009 10:12 |  #220
bannedPermanent ban

george m w wrote in post #8508605 (external link)

110% right...bw!

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 23, 2009 11:39 |  #221

Having a 1Ds Mk1 and a 1 Mark II is a great combo:D. In your case cupra_flo you got the 1D so all you need is the 1Ds;)

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 23, 2009 14:44 |  #222

kohr2000 wrote in post #8508991 (external link)
Having a 1Ds Mk1 and a 1 Mark II is a great combo:D. In your case cupra_flo you got the 1D so all you need is the 1Ds;)

yeah but thinking of the better noise-performance and speed and iq of an 1D2 makes me think about trading the 1D...

So you would go for this combo?

1D MkI (already mine) and 1Ds MkI?

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,546 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 23, 2009 16:03 as a reply to  @ cupra_flo's post |  #223

Do it! :D

I've also got a 40D. It's superb for speed and ease of use and has been a great servant. I think the crop factor is useful personally. Saves chopping images down and it exploits the strongest part of your lenses. I'll use it exclusively for action/sports etc (until I can be frivolous and get a 1DIII...).

If I had to choose one though, I'd stick the 40D in the bin in a heartbeat. The quality of the images the 1Ds produces blows the 40D away.

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Aug 23, 2009 16:09 |  #224

I have been looking for a second battery cover door for my 1D Mark II like the one that came with the 1Ds and here is the site if you need one.
http://www.darntoothys​am.com …S-SLR-Series/1Ds-Mark-II/ (external link)

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,546 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Aug 23, 2009 18:26 as a reply to  @ E James P's post |  #225

Top post that man! I need one of those... ;)

sponsored links

330,490 views & 50 likes for this thread
1DS MkI owners unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.