Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 May 2008 (Saturday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DS MkI owners unite!

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 23, 2009 21:15 |  #226

....went for a walk around the pond today near where I live. Took the 1DS w/24-70 on it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

sponsored links
cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 24, 2009 14:42 |  #227

Spacemunkie wrote in post #8510066 (external link)
Do it! :D

I've also got a 40D. It's superb for speed and ease of use and has been a great servant. I think the crop factor is useful personally. Saves chopping images down and it exploits the strongest part of your lenses. I'll use it exclusively for action/sports etc (until I can be frivolous and get a 1DIII...).

If I had to choose one though, I'd stick the 40D in the bin in a heartbeat. The quality of the images the 1Ds produces blows the 40D away.

i´m not sure about what you mean.....

would you get the 1DII or the 1Ds in my situation?! :D
Or should i get rid of the 1D and get a 1Ds instead?!
enogh speed with the 1Ds?!

My fotocommunity (external link) -=|=- My Gear

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 24, 2009 14:59 |  #228

cupra_flo wrote in post #8515338 (external link)
i´m not sure about what you mean.....

would you get the 1DII or the 1Ds in my situation?! :D
Or should i get rid of the 1D and get a 1Ds instead?!
enogh speed with the 1Ds?!

Been there, done that... I've had the 1D, 1D2, and now 1Ds. The 1D2 was the jack-of-all-trades and a perfect well balanced body. I was dying to check out what this FF nirvana was all about and swapped it for the 1Ds. I can barely handle the huge time delay it takes to flush the images from memory to card. I missed a few shots from some of my gigs. I am in the process of upgrading it... 1D3 or 1Ds2. If not for the dismal flush time and sometimes low battery, I'd keep it.

1D3 solves everything... except FF glory...

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100
6D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 50 1.4
1D Mk IV | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 135 2L | 400 5.6L

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 24, 2009 15:02 |  #229

ebann wrote in post #8515465 (external link)
Been there, done that... I've had the 1D, 1D2, and now 1Ds. The 1D2 was the jack-of-all-trades and a perfect well balanced body. I was dying to check out what this FF nirvana was all about and swapped it for the 1Ds. I can barely handle the huge time delay it takes to flush the images from memory to card. I missed a few shots from some of my gigs. I am in the process of upgrading it... 1D3 or 1Ds2. If not for the dismal flush time and sometimes low battery, I'd keep it.

1D3 solves everything... except FF glory...

so you would trade my 1DI and go for a 1D2?!

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Aug 24, 2009 15:02 |  #230

would you get the 1DII or the 1Ds in my situation?!

That depends on YOUR situation:

1DS = slow
1D2 = fast

What do you need for the kind of shooting you do. Only you can answer that, because only you know which is more important to you.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 24, 2009 15:05 |  #231

george m w wrote in post #8515487 (external link)
That depends on YOUR situation:

1DS = slow
1D2 = fast

What do you need for the kind of shooting you do. Only you can answer that, because only you know which is more important to you.

sounds like 1D2...cause i do love beauty or portraiture but also love action and fast things :D

and i think the 1D2 has better iso performance..am i right?!

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 24, 2009 15:06 |  #232

cupra_flo wrote in post #8515483 (external link)
so you would trade my 1DI and go for a 1D2?!

Depends how much you care on the wide angle aspect... if you don't usually shoot at 22mm or wider then I'd go with 1D2 (since your wide needs is supplied by the excellent 17-40). If you really crave and live by the widest possible lenses, then obviously 1Ds.

Of course, some people also would mention that FF would give better portraits because of razor thin DoF. How much would that impact your portraits? Most people it wouldn't.

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 24, 2009 15:08 |  #233

cupra_flo wrote in post #8515502 (external link)
sounds like 1D2...cause i do love beauty or portraiture but also love action and fast things :D

and i think the 1D2 has better iso performance..am i right?!

You are right... and there are those that feel the 'grainy' and 'film-like' aspect of high ISO shots from the 1Ds is 'cute'... that's just an excuse for them not to upgrade IMHO and justify the noise issue which is truly there.

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 24, 2009 15:08 |  #234

ebann wrote in post #8515513 (external link)
Depends how much you care on the wide angle aspect... if you don't usually shoot at 22mm or wider then I'd go with 1D2 (since your wide needs is supplied by the excellent 17-40). If you really crave and live by the widest possible lenses, then obviously 1Ds.

Of course, some people also would mention that FF would give better portraits because of razor thin DoF. How much would that impact your portraits? Most people it wouldn't.

i´m currently doing my portrait shoots with my 1D and i´m happy with it.
very-wide-angle is not my part...
i´m @ home with 24-200mm...currently with 24-100mm..thats all i need :D

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 24, 2009 15:10 |  #235

ebann wrote in post #8515524 (external link)
You are right... and there are those that feel the 'grainy' and 'film-like' aspect of high ISO shots from the 1Ds is 'cute'... that's just an excuse for them not to upgrade IMHO and justify the noise issue which is truly there.

so i think i´ll go for the 1D2 and later...maybe...i´ll go for an eos1DsMkII...

help me...what means IMHO

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 24, 2009 15:13 |  #236

cupra_flo wrote in post #8515534 (external link)
so i think i´ll go for the 1D2 and later...maybe...i´ll go for an eos1DsMkII...

help me...what means IMHO

IMHO = in my honest opinion.
AFAIK = as far as I know.
RTFM = read the fine manual.

just a few that seems to pop quite often...

Right now I'm evaluating whether I'll miss my wide-angle shots of landscape/cityscape... most likely I'll go the 1D3 route since those batteries lasts 2000+ shots and still lots of juice left over.

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100

cupra_flo
550 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Aug 24, 2009 15:18 |  #237

ebann wrote in post #8515563 (external link)
IMHO = in my honest opinion.
AFAIK = as far as I know.
RTFM = read the fine manual.

just a few that seems to pop quite often...

Right now I'm evaluating whether I'll miss my wide-angle shots of landscape/cityscape... most likely I'll go the 1D3 route since those batteries lasts 2000+ shots and still lots of juice left over.

i was just looking for imho :D thanks anyways...

yeah 1D3 is like a dream to me but to expensive right now....
so 1D2 sounds pretty good.
2times of megapixel,...2 cardslots, longer batterielife, faster, better iso...

hope this desicion will be right...

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 24, 2009 19:26 |  #238
bannedPermanent ban

I have one battery currently and haven't had the dreaded low batt issue as of yet. I have taken over 400 picks and haven't seen the mid point on the battery indicator yet. Wonder if that is natural.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

ebann
Once an ugly duckling
3,396 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Aug 24, 2009 19:30 |  #239

AudibleSilence wrote in post #8517024 (external link)
I have one battery currently and haven't had the dreaded low batt issue as of yet. I have taken over 400 picks and haven't seen the mid point on the battery indicator yet. Wonder if that is natural.

Being spoiled with long battery life of the 5D/40D, and knowing what a dreadful battery life is from the 1D... I'd say that 1Ds1 is between 1D and 1D2 and certainly half of what 40D/5D would give. I hope to fix this issue with the cool Li-ion used with the 1D3... 2000+ shots and still half the juice left!

Ellery Bann
Fuji X100

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Aug 24, 2009 19:37 |  #240
bannedPermanent ban

ebann wrote in post #8517038 (external link)
Being spoiled with long battery life of the 5D/40D, and knowing what a dreadful battery life is from the 1D... I'd say that 1Ds1 is between 1D and 1D2 and certainly half of what 40D/5D would give. I hope to fix this issue with the cool Li-ion used with the 1D3... 2000+ shots and still half the juice left!

Is it the old school batteries or is it the software/firmware controlling battery consumption that is the major cause of the relatively poor battery life?

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

sponsored links

332,660 views & 50 likes for this thread
1DS MkI owners unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.