Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 May 2008 (Saturday) 22:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1DS MkI owners unite!

KSG ­ Photography
342 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 24, 2009 14:41 |  #286

Here are a few I took today with the 70-200 f4 L. My mother has a new Shetland Sheepdog puppy, so I reckoned it would make a good test. Lighting is just a 580 EXII bounced off the ceiling.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …%20test%20shots​/Xena3.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://img.photobucket​.com …%20test%20shots​/Xena1.jpg (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

2x 7d, EOS 3 film body, G15, X-Pro1 with 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4 & 60mm f2.4 macro, Kiev rangefinder with 50mm lens. 70-200 f4L, 17-40 f4 L, 50mm f2.5 macro, nifty fifty, 20-40 EX HSM, Samyang 85mm f1.4, Rokinon 8mm f3.5, 2x Fuji X-Pro1, Fuji XF 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4, 60mm f2.4 macro, 3x Yongnuo 560 II, 540EZ, Phottix Strato 2 wireless triggers, extension tubes, Manfrotto 055 tripod, manfrotto monopod.

sponsored links
chuckstar_za
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 27, 2009 06:30 |  #287

I found this thread/forum while poking around the net looking for some full size sample 1ds mkii images.

I'm currently using a 1ds (with 400d backup) for all my commercial/wedding/por​trait work.
I'd been lusting after a 1 series body for years and years and it was only when I moved to the UK that I could afford to get one.

I juts love the size and balance of the baby, the inbuilt portrait grip is something I couldn't live without and once you get to know how to use it properly, what you can and can't do it will produce awesome shots. But then again, if you're reading this thread you most likely know this already :D

I didn't like the noise when I first got it, but that was because I was used to noiseless (relatively speaking) images and hadn't shot film for years. Now I've run it up and down to 800 I can say that it feels a bit like TMZ 3200 - if you like the noise, it's handled beautifully and gives the image a film like quality.

See how I jumped right into the noise issue there?

Well, it seems like most people considering this body will use 'poor noise' as a con rather than a pro.
TBH, I felt that way to start with, but once you remember that high ISO is supposed to be atmospheric then you can see what a plus the noise is on a 1ds. Especially in black and white images.

Down at 50/100 it produces outstanding images that are wickedly sharp, and up around 400/640/800 it transmogrifies into an old school BW classic filmstock.

Glad I found this thread - now I don't feel like an outcast in the pro world for using a 1ds instead of jumping on the 'must upgrade always' bandwagon a lot of other pros are on.

I love my 1ds, and I love my grain.

KSG ­ Photography
342 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Oct 27, 2009 06:41 |  #288

Well said, that man! :)

2x 7d, EOS 3 film body, G15, X-Pro1 with 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4 & 60mm f2.4 macro, Kiev rangefinder with 50mm lens. 70-200 f4L, 17-40 f4 L, 50mm f2.5 macro, nifty fifty, 20-40 EX HSM, Samyang 85mm f1.4, Rokinon 8mm f3.5, 2x Fuji X-Pro1, Fuji XF 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4, 60mm f2.4 macro, 3x Yongnuo 560 II, 540EZ, Phottix Strato 2 wireless triggers, extension tubes, Manfrotto 055 tripod, manfrotto monopod.

Trackerxx
172 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Oct 27, 2009 10:19 as a reply to  @ KSG Photography's post |  #289

Looking to get either a gently used 40d or an original 1ds. Any opinions? The 40d has a better LCD which I think will help make better decisions in the field. Any advantages to the 1ds other than full frame?

Thanks

Lumix LX 100, Canon G11, Canon 20D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L, EF 50mm f/1.8

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 27, 2009 10:45 |  #290
bannedPermanent ban

Trackerxx wrote in post #8903567 (external link)
Looking to get either a gently used 40d or an original 1ds. Any opinions? The 40d has a better LCD which I think will help make better decisions in the field. Any advantages to the 1ds other than full frame?

Thanks

You learn that relying on the screen is a fools mission. Screens lie, use the histogram and be done with it. The 1ds is built better...PERIOD. It's weather proof, and has almost infinite customization. I'd sooner take a 1ds into "the field" than a 40d :)

I may be selling mine soon, if you're interested.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

just12
102 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Oct 27, 2009 11:45 |  #291

Thanks

I had 40d and I was unable to determine if the shot was in focus using LCD. So I wouldn't count on LCD.
AF in 1ds is big advantage over 40d.

PS I sold my 40d and keep 1d and I'm happy :)

1ds classic + Tokina 19-35 + Tamron 28-75 + C50mm 1.4 + Canon 70-210

dannyss
127 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Oct 27, 2009 12:33 |  #292

I got my 40d 18 months ago and my 1D, 6 months ago. I usually pick up the 1D first. I've shot inside a boat at 800 and liked the result.
Often the 1D's noise will contribute to the effect i'm trying to reach with the picture. B&W pictures with noise brings me back to my film days.
My next purchase should be a 1DS Mk1. My only gripes; the batteries and the screen. Would be nice to have a bigger screen and zoom.
I've even tough of selling my 40d and getting a 1DS to go with the 1D.
Get the 1DS!

1D MK IV, 24-105mm L, 15mm, 50mm f1.8II
Sony Nex-5,16mm
1D,40D-gripped,50-f1.8II,28-135mm,Zenitar 16, FD500mm mirror (All lost to fire :()
A-1, FD50-f1.8, FD100-300mm

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Oct 27, 2009 21:07 |  #293

Thanks

When I first got my 1DS, I still had one of my 20D bodies and the 50D. Within a few weeks both the 20 and 50 were gone. I never picked them up anymore. In the absence of a one series, the xxD bodies are great, but once you have used a one series, you probably do not want to "go back". Flame suit on.....I know these comments will likely rile the faithful xxD users.

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

chuckstar_za
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Oct 28, 2009 05:16 |  #294

The 40d has a better LCD

To re-iterate what others have said - the LCD, while it's nice to have and look at (my dad has a 40D), doesn't and shouldn't effect your shooting one iota.

Histogram is all you need - and really, you shouldn't even need that.

Film didn't come with a histogram, you had to rely on your knowledge and skill to get a correct exposure. (this is not a rant at the quoted poster BTW :D )

If you're undecided - put it this way. My dad loved his 40D till I let him hold my 1ds - and my baby only cost another 100quid than his 40D.

E ­ James ­ P
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Nov 08, 2009 17:38 |  #295

I just got done getting my new motherboard with firewire connection up and running with windows 7 upgrade :D and have got both my 1Ds and the 1D Mark II to be recognized in it and have used some of the info I've learn from both this thread and the 1D Mark II/11n thread to make changes to my personal settings :D .
Another reason to like my 1D Cameras .

Gearflickr (external link)
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein (1879-1955) . "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." George Santayana

Spacemunkie
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Apr 2008

Nov 08, 2009 21:32 |  #296

My 40D has gone. I hadn't used it once since I got the 1Ds. The 40D has certain advantages that I still find occasionally useful - bigger buffer, faster at everything etc, but the 1Ds IQ blows it out of the water I'm afraid.

Next camera will be either a 1D3 or a 7D I think - probably the 1D3 as I like the ergonomics of the 1 body so much :)

Just bought a 35L so will produce a pic showing it with a more fitting lens than that 50 1.8 :D

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2446/4084874061_d21b357ab8_o.jpg

Edit: Wrong thread! I posted the pic below in another thread and got the mickey taken for having the 50/1.8 on it...

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2621/3821276347_2435af7e4f.jpg

The cheap little 50 gives a respectable account of itself on the 1Ds. Bloody lens snobs! :D

Scott/Spacemunkie:My photos (external link)

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 08, 2009 22:33 |  #297

Munk....
....that b&w shot of the lake....perfect example of the "film-like" look that you can get out of this camera. Yet another reminder of how much I like the images from my own 1DS. Stick a 17-40 on and go on a walkabout with it. You'll have so much fun.....

regards, george w

"It's also obvious that people determined to solve user error with more expensive equipment will graduate to expensive user error."
Dave N.

Trackerxx
172 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Nov 16, 2009 09:41 |  #298

Hey guys,
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I won't be getting a 40D. Although I love the xxD bodies I've used, I have a feeling that the 1d is the camera I need. It's the little things like being able to record an audio file to identify people in the photo and not having to add a grip for long lasting battery power. I also need a rugged body and the 1d series fits the bill. Thanks.

Lumix LX 100, Canon G11, Canon 20D, Canon EF 16-35 f/2.8L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L, EF 50mm f/1.8

MichaelBernard
Goldmember
3,586 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Nov 16, 2009 10:51 |  #299
bannedPermanent ban

Trackerxx wrote in post #9023998 (external link)
Hey guys,
Thanks for the advice. Looks like I won't be getting a 40D. Although I love the xxD bodies I've used, I have a feeling that the 1d is the camera I need. It's the little things like being able to record an audio file to identify people in the photo and not having to add a grip for long lasting battery power. I also need a rugged body and the 1d series fits the bill. Thanks.

I'm selling my 1ds cheap this week. It has sub 10k clicks as verified by can count. PM Sent.

http://www.Michael-Bernard.com (external link)"I think that there will be people disappointed in any camera short of the one that summons the ghost of Ansel Adams to come and press the shutter button for them." -lazer-jock

george ­ m ­ w
Goldmember
4,022 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Nov 16, 2009 11:12 |  #300

I'm selling my 1ds cheap this week. It has sub 10k clicks as verified by can count.

If you have not sold it already, how cheap is cheap ?

regards, george w

Dave N.

sponsored links

332,726 views & 50 likes for this thread
1DS MkI owners unite!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.