Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 05 May 2008 (Monday) 18:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Man hands camera to stranger; Ego damaged.

RTMiller
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 05, 2008 18:09 |  #1

We went to a Jazz & Wine Festival on Saturday and we met some nice people and made some new friends. While I was taking a few pictures the couple next to us (well mostly HIM) were inquisitive about my camera and that big white lens on it. I gave him my camera and he played with it for a while. Later I was taking pictures of our group and he asked if I would like him to take a picture of me and my fiance. Since there are no known pictures of us together, I agreed and and handed him my camera.

He took a few shots (actually ten because the camera was on high speed mode and he held down the shutter). This was the first and best one.

IMAGE: http://rtmiller.smugmug.com/photos/290348852_DaJb9-M.jpg

When I got home and saw all the pics I was really pleased with this shot, because like I said we don't have many pictures of us together. The one thing I didn't like was the BG and the extra hair she had due to the guy behind her. I could have cloned it out but I was playing around and decided on this. Not sure this is my final edit but I like the original pic and may have to play some more.

IMAGE: http://rtmiller.smugmug.com/photos/290345554_E8WL6-L.jpg

Anyway, my camera took about 500 shots on Sunday and the best one was taken by some stranger who got a 10 second lesson on DSLR's. Go figure.

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.com (external link)
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

sponsored links
Smad728
376 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 05, 2008 18:17 |  #2

I like them both. The first one is very Crisp.
-Sean

Sean.Devine.Photograph​y (external link)

saturnin
Goldmember
1,987 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 05, 2008 18:19 |  #3
bannedPermanent ban

the pp doesnt work for me, use just regualr blur for the background, your zoom is t much

http://www.saturninflo​yd.tumblr.com (external link) samples
http://www.asphaltjunk​iez.com (external link) - award winning filmmaker - 3 documentaries done, more to go. I'm not wasting this 1 life.
Gear is gear, gotta do wif what you got! This forum makes me bite my tongue like no other forum i've ever been on :)

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
3,079 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 05, 2008 18:20 |  #4

That's life Todd :lol:
Still, you got a decent photo out of it in the end.

cheers

BiLL

jscotti
163 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 05, 2008 18:46 |  #5

I see what you're after - the first image is fine except the background is so crowded and your attempt at a rescue isn't bad. Maybe just applying a blur filter to the background would be better, though. I'd also think about adding the background visible between you two to the affect - the blue shirt stands out pretty sharply in your 2nd image.

Jim.

Canon 20D; Pair of Canon A570is in stereo rig; Olympus OM-2.
Photoblog: http://pixofmyuniverse​.blogspot.com (external link)

waterj2
126 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 05, 2008 18:49 as a reply to  @ Bill Roberts's post |  #6

I'm undecided on the PP (I'd probably prefer it toned down a bit), but if you do keep it, you should do something about the spot between your two heads. And maybe even the little bit of blanket under your right knee.

There's something I like about the look of the woman with the wineglass on the left of the original, but I suppose you don't need other people drawing attention away from the two of you.

Jeremy(my flickr (external link))
Canon EOS 30D, EOS Rebel K2, S100
Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon 580EX II

RTMiller
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 05, 2008 19:08 |  #7

saturnin wrote in post #5466904 (external link)
the pp doesnt work for me, use just regualr blur for the background, your zoom is t much

waterj2 wrote in post #5467055 (external link)
I'm undecided on the PP (I'd probably prefer it toned down a bit), but if you do keep it, you should do something about the spot between your two heads.

Thanks for the great suggestions. Upon further review, I agree. Didn't even notice the spot between our heads. Here's another attempt...

IMAGE: http://rtmiller.smugmug.com/photos/290397914_HzsA9-L.jpg

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.com (external link)
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

johnquist
56 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 05, 2008 22:09 |  #8

I liked the PP, and the re-edited version. I might try dropping the background in both to B&W just fer grins.

20D; 7D; 5Dm2 ... a coupLe Lens; and some other stuff... a decent job, a good son, a strong woman and solid faith!

flipstyle72
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 05, 2008 22:14 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

I rather the 1st actually...the 1st edit almost gives me seizures, lol Maybe if the shot wasn't of a nice looking couple and rather something out of the ordinary weird, that would work for me.

Goldnboy
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 06, 2008 01:52 |  #10

Sorry if this is out of line for someone so new to the forum to say, but I'm a bit distracted by the imprecision of the selection around you and your wife. You might want to touch that up or feather it a bit more. Otherwise nice picture.

Kagemaru
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 07, 2008 01:05 |  #11

So what is it about this photo that you think is so great and why did it hurt your ego? I don't think the photo is good at all. It's a horribly composed snapshot. You can do much better than that.

http://www.davecontrer​as.com (external link)

Sorrell
210 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 07, 2008 02:10 |  #12

Very nice photo, but I bet it was beginner's luck (at least that's what I tell myself when I hand my camera to my husband and he takes a better shot than mine on that day). ;) I hope I'm not out of line by saying you are very handsome...you all make a great couple! :) I like the last edit you did...and I like the original.

Our small photo board for "mom's with cameras" who love taking pics of their kids and want to get better at it (but dads, aunts, uncles, well...ANYONE can join, too!) :lol: We have members from amateurs to pros, who take photos of everything from people and animals to bugs and flowers...so come join us!!! http://z15.invisionfre​e.com/Snappers/index.p​hp (external link)

sponsored links

1,662 views & 0 likes for this thread
Man hands camera to stranger; Ego damaged.
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.