Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 03 Dec 2004 (Friday) 20:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Time to creep you out again

spock84
108 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 03, 2004 20:31 |  #1

Closed-minded homophobes (closet gays in denial as they're also called) don't look. At least I've spared you from full frontal nudity, but you never know with some people..

I'm not entirely done with this. Probably going to add some textures (maybe from a scraped up negative or something) and I'm not sure that I want this as a montage like this. But, I'm interested in some input at this stage as well.

http://www.deviantart.​com/view/12865154/ (external link)

sponsored links
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 03, 2004 20:44 |  #2

Personally, I like the "censoring" as a element of the art. A nice ironic counterpoint. I would leave it.

As far as the triptych is concerned, I find it to be off balance. The two lateral images are both looking the same way, which throws the whole composition off to viewers left. Nice idea, images are pleasing. (If you were trying for grotesque, I think you missed. Even with the "angry" expressions, there is a hint of meekness. Sorry. :( )

I just think it needs a better symetry.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

jacob
141 posts
Joined Oct 2004

Dec 03, 2004 23:07 |  #3

+Fav and a Watch. I really like it.

http://pixel-plus.deviantart.com (external link)

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 11, 2004 23:33 as a reply to  @ jacob's post |  #4

Great photos there, very creative.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

c0ntr0lz
Goldmember
1,889 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 12, 2004 00:12 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #5

i like the shots alot
the expressions and the lighting are awesome
i agree about the censorship, it works and adds to them.
i really love the color of the backdrop also.

Jakeb Miller Photography (external link)
Jakeb Auto photography (external link)
EOS Canon 400d//18-55mm//Sigma 28-80mm macro (external link)

CDickinson
304 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 12, 2004 08:50 as a reply to  @ c0ntr0lz's post |  #6

I like your backdrop quite a bit....but I"m really not convinced anger is the emotion you are trying to show.....nor I am sure about the "bondage" --I have too many questions - what is the bondage about, what is the emotion, why is the emotion --if this is a gay theme, then I think you might want to put it all in context because as is, it appears unfocused...
the text works well....but what it tells me is your emotions are about the goddamn internet.....and it may not be what the emotions are directed at exactly...

C
and no I"m not creeped out nor am I offended by nudity or gay issues or bondage etc...

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk" - Edward Weston

http://www.enricowebso​lutions.com/dickinson/ (external link)

mdude85
391 posts
Joined Jul 2004

Dec 13, 2004 19:08 as a reply to  @ CDickinson's post |  #7

interesting, but I don't really like it. What are you trying to accomplish here? All I see is that you want to take pictures of yourself (I got this from the Artist's Comments). Is this supposed to be a commentary on censorship? Perhaps then you should bind your hands or put tape over your mouth? I really like the colors and the backdrop but the subject matter is a little strange. As a 3-shot composition, your first shot and your last shot look almost the same. I kind of like the stuff around your head but I'm not sure how you made it or even what it really is so it's difficult for me to identify "with" it. The picture in the middle kind of looks like a zombie.

It almost looks like something David LaChapelle would create, but I feel it has less meaning than that. The message is just not very clear.

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Dec 14, 2004 10:42 as a reply to  @ mdude85's post |  #8

I think the *censored* part is fun.

Best regards,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

Curos
437 posts
Joined May 2004

Dec 14, 2004 16:37 as a reply to  @ Andy_T's post |  #9

I love it, gave it a Fave on deviantArt if you were wondering who Curos :-p

spock84
THREAD ­ STARTER
108 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 14, 2004 18:03 as a reply to  @ Curos's post |  #10

Thanks.

It's not about anything sexual and it doesn't really have any meaning. That being said, to me it sounds boring to live in a world where the meaning behind everything must be obvious to be able to appreciate things.

I suppose the feeling I'm trying to show is more fear-related than anger. Like a wounded animal trying to scare off a predator.

sponsored links

2,257 views & 0 likes for this thread
Time to creep you out again
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.