Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
Thread started 07 May 2008 (Wednesday) 10:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

G9 or A650 IS ???

Reeforbust
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2008 10:15 |  #1

I've been reading some reviews and the A650 looks like its really close to the G9.
One reason I'm looking at the A650 is because it has the flip screen like my G5 and I use it a lot!

Whats the difference with these two cameras?

Also, what about the PowerShot Pro Series S5 IS?? It also has the flip screen......

Gear-list!
DSLR gallery Click (external link)~here!
Canon G5 gallery Click (external link)~here!

sponsored links
Canon_Owner
80 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 07, 2008 13:32 |  #2

Reeforbust wrote in post #5477958 (external link)
I've been reading some reviews and the A650 looks like its really close to the G9.
One reason I'm looking at the A650 is because it has the flip screen like my G5 and I use it a lot!

Whats the difference with these two cameras?

Also, what about the PowerShot Pro Series S5 IS?? It also has the flip screen......

Seems like the A650 is a better deal, not only has it got flip screen like the
true G-series, it also uses 4xAA batteries, should give better battery time than the G9. I don´t think the A650 can shoot raw..

Cameras: Canon G6 (mint cond) & Hp 715 (G1)
Raynox DCR-6600 PRO
Hoya HMC filter 4+ macro 52mm
Dörr digital high grade UV 58mm
Canon LA-DC58D + Soligor 52mm adapter

Reeforbust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2008 13:48 |  #3

Canon_Owner wrote in post #5479093 (external link)
Seems like the A650 is a better deal, not only has it got flip screen like the
true G-series, it also uses 4xAA batteries, should give better battery time than the G9. I don´t think the A650 can shoot raw..

I don't shoot RAW anyway. I'm stepping down from a DSLR so I'm kind of leaning towards the camera's that have the same look/feel....

Canon S5 and I was just researching the Panasonic FZ50 with a 12x zoom !?

Gear-list!

Canon_Owner
80 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 07, 2008 14:06 |  #4

Reeforbust wrote in post #5479188 (external link)
I don't shoot RAW anyway. I'm stepping down from a DSLR so I'm kind of leaning towards the camera's that have the same look/feel....

Canon S5 and I was just researching the Panasonic FZ50 with a 12x zoom !?

Ok, i dont know about the panasonic, but try to find a compact with good low light performance at least F2.0 lens

Good luck

Raynox DCR-6600 PRO

Reeforbust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2008 14:10 |  #5

Canon_Owner wrote in post #5479311 (external link)
Ok, i dont know about the panasonic, but try to find a compact with good low light performance at least F2.0 lens

Good luck

My G5 has an f2 lens in it and it SUX in low light...... I'm not sure there is a good "low" light P&S......

Gear-list!

Canon_Owner
80 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 07, 2008 14:30 |  #6

Reeforbust wrote in post #5479332 (external link)
My G5 has an f2 lens in it and it SUX in low light...... I'm not sure there is a good "low" light P&S......

Ok, well both the G9 and A650 has got F2.8 and if you think your G5 sux in low light conditions you´ll think that G9 double sux

Raynox DCR-6600 PRO

Reeforbust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2008 14:32 |  #7

Canon_Owner wrote in post #5479473 (external link)
Ok, well both the G9 and A650 has got F2.8 and if you think your G5 sux in low light conditions you´ll think that G9 double sux

Not necessarily.... There are more things that contribute to "SUX" than just that...

Gear-list!

Canon_Owner
80 posts
Joined Jun 2007

May 07, 2008 14:56 |  #8

Reeforbust wrote in post #5479490 (external link)
Not necessarily.... There are more things that contribute to "SUX" than just that...

Buy and try!

Raynox DCR-6600 PRO

Cashmonee
65 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 07, 2008 15:43 |  #9

There seem to be two main advantages to the G9: RAW and the hotshoe. The hotshoe will allow you to use a much better flash than the built-in which will help low-light performance significantly. RAW also is a big feature if you use it.

Now if you are not interested in post-processing and are not going to use a real flash, then the A650 is probably the way to go unless you like the look and feel of the G9.

As for the A650 advantages, it is mainly the AA batteries and rotating screen. AA batteries are nice, but I find the screen a double edged sword. I had the same type of screen on my A80 and after a couple of years, it no longer works consistently. I attribute that to the wires being moved around all of the time.

Both are great cameras though. All you need to do is decide what features you want.

**EDIT** One more thing to consider, the G9's manual controls are very easy to use. I am not sure how the manual controls on the A650 are.

Reeforbust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2008 15:46 |  #10

Cashmonee wrote in post #5479976 (external link)
There seem to be two main advantages to the G9: RAW and the hotshoe. The hotshoe will allow you to use a much better flash than the built-in which will help low-light performance significantly. RAW also is a big feature if you use it.

Now if you are not interested in post-processing and are not going to use a real flash, then the A650 is probably the way to go unless you like the look and feel of the G9.

As for the A650 advantages, it is mainly the AA batteries and rotating screen. AA batteries are nice, but I find the screen a double edged sword. I had the same type of screen on my A80 and after a couple of years, it no longer works consistently. I attribute that to the wires being moved around all of the time.

Both are great cameras though. All you need to do is decide what features you want.

**EDIT** One more thing to consider, the G9's manual controls are very easy to use. I am not sure how the manual controls on the A650 are.

I didn't see the hotshoe or lack of.... I do need that.
I hate to say it but the more I read up on the Panasonic DMC-FZ50 the more I like it. It has a flip screen that I want and it has a 12x zoom which would be great to have at the zoo..!?!?

Gear-list!

Cashmonee
65 posts
Joined Oct 2006

May 07, 2008 15:55 |  #11

Reeforbust wrote in post #5480002 (external link)
I hate to say it but the more I read up on the Panasonic DMC-FZ50 the more I like it. It has a flip screen that I want and it has a 12x zoom which would be great to have at the zoo..!?!?

I have not read up on that model, so I do not know how it compares. Don't forget that the G9 does have the option for the teleconverter and the wide converter. Of course that is more expense on top of an already pricey point and shoot.

Not that I am trying to push the G9. Sorry if it seems that way.

Reeforbust
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,464 posts
Joined Jan 2006

May 07, 2008 15:59 |  #12

Cashmonee wrote in post #5480068 (external link)
I have not read up on that model, so I do not know how it compares. Don't forget that the G9 does have the option for the teleconverter and the wide converter. Of course that is more expense on top of an already pricey point and shoot.

Not that I am trying to push the G9. Sorry if it seems that way.

After having the G5 I know without a doubt that the G9 is a good camera and fits most of my needs. I bought all the lens' and filters and this and that for my G5 but it was just a bunch of stuff I had to carry around.
I'm looking for a decent camera that will have a good zoom range and take a nice pic without having to carry extra stuff.

I like the Canon sureshot S5 as well....

Gear-list!

grandadraymond
Goldmember
1,946 posts
Joined Apr 2006

May 07, 2008 18:25 |  #13

And i take it youve got first hand experience on the G9 HEY, you seem to have a downer for the G9 buddy, why dont you take your own advice and, Buy and try!:p

vwjoe76
474 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Nov 2006

May 07, 2008 21:11 |  #14

Sensor size.

Fuji XT-2 | Fujinon 10-24 | Zeus Touit 32 | Fujinon 55-200
flickr (external link)

WT21
Goldmember
1,319 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 08, 2008 16:32 |  #15

Reeforbust wrote in post #5480002 (external link)

I've been toying in Panny land with the TZ5, and I have to say, the Panny tiny sensors are NOT as clean as Canon. Definately get some test shots in. My G9 produces clearer, deeper pics than the Panny, though, of course, you are talking about a different model than the TZ5.

A650 doesn't have a hot shoe, but there is a Canon-brand attachment flash for it. Not sure how it works.

AAs are nice (I guess -- I'm fine with the G9 battery), but the A series have a history of slow flash recycle (strike that REALLY slow flash recycle) when the batteries are winding down. I'm talking 10seconds. That may not matter to you, but you should be aware of it.

6D: 50, 85, 28-75, 70-210USM, 430EXii.
EOS-M: 22, 18-55

sponsored links

5,473 views & 0 likes for this thread
G9 or A650 IS ???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.