Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 07 May 2008 (Wednesday) 18:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

FREE Camera Strap from SmugMug!!

Tsmith
Formerly known as Bluedog_XT
10,429 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Apr 01, 2009 22:58 |  #766

I took mine off my camera as the odor of the thing is bad.

sponsored links
mrerico
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined May 2007

Apr 02, 2009 02:00 |  #767

Can't wait for the new version of the straps...they sound more reliable. I don't really like the bounce the strap does when attached to my 1d :\

2.8orfaster
487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Apr 02, 2009 13:15 |  #768
bannedPermanent ban

Man... I did not get one... and I pay them $150 a year. :(

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 03, 2009 18:01 |  #769

mrerico wrote in post #7649727 (external link)
Can't wait for the new version of the straps...they sound more reliable. I don't really like the bounce the strap does when attached to my 1d :\

Hmmm, that was going to be my question. I've not put my strap on my MkIII as of yet, the stretchiness (is that even a word?) is a bit worrisome.

Anyone else put one of these on a 1D series body, and how "bouncy" is it?

P.S. The smell goes away if you leave it sit out for a couple days. Smells sort of like a tire store.

That_Fox
"In the Witless Protection Program"
1,386 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Apr 03, 2009 18:07 |  #770

DennisW1 wrote in post #7661990 (external link)
Hmmm, that was going to be my question. I've not put my strap on my MkIII as of yet, the stretchiness (is that even a word?) is a bit worrisome.

P.S. The smell goes away if you leave it sit out for a couple days. Smells sort of like a tire store.

I haven't put it on a 1D, but I have put it on my 40D + grip with a 300 2.8 IS and it holds it pretty good. That's not to say that I don't have a hand right next to it to catch it, but it does hold fine and my fear is probably unfounded.

Apparently I've been dubbed Foxy.
Alamy (external link), website (external link) and gear

chukdivad
363 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 03, 2009 18:21 |  #771

No 1D here but 50D+Grip+17-55+580EXII = way too "bouncy" for me when walking around. It's a great strap and very comfy with less weight on it though.

MY GEAR
MY flickr (external link)

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
13,313 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 03, 2009 19:54 |  #772

I had it on my MkIIn for a while. Seemed fine for me (even with the 70-200 f/2.8 ), I just prefer a longer strap for my main. Plenty bouncy though. :)

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
https://photography-on-the.net …php?p=9903477#p​ost9903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

DennisW1
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 03, 2009 21:23 |  #773

DDCSD wrote in post #7662507 (external link)
I had it on my MkIIn for a while. Seemed fine for me (even with the 70-200 f/2.8 ), I just prefer a longer strap for my main. Plenty bouncy though. :)

Ya, I think that's the part I might not like. I'm not worried about it failing or slipping off the camera, it seems well made, but I'm just not sure I'd like that bounce from the stretch of the strap fabric.

Which means I have two of 'em that I probably won't use........

sonnyc
Cream of the Crop
5,160 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Apr 04, 2009 01:49 |  #774

Hmmm it's not any less (maybe a bit less) bouncy than the OP/tech strap that I had oreviously on my 1D MKII. I have 2 different versions of Smugmug strap, one is a bit bigger and less bouncier than the slightly thinner one. It's a bit thicker too.

Sonny
website (external link)|Gear List

lyttleviet
537 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 19, 2009 05:38 |  #775

I hope I get in on the next one as I am a paying smugmugger =D

www.opulentphotography​.com (external link)

muscleflex
Goldmember
3,010 posts
Joined Jun 2005

May 21, 2009 07:18 |  #776

it bounces on my MKiii about 2 inches but i like the feel of it. common sense dictates that you should always have a hand underneath your camera whether it's a 1D body or not.
it feels solid enough that i dont see me removing it unless it breaks (which i dont think it will)

:cool:Canon 1D MK III:cool: | Canon EOS 20D | Canon 16-35 II [COLOR=red]L [COLOR=black]| Canon 100-400 [COLOR=red]L IS | [COLOR=#000000]Canon 50mm II 1.8 | Canon 580 EX II

breakthrough
64 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 21, 2009 09:45 as a reply to  @ post 5481150 |  #777

got it at my home in india las week. Its a great piece! Thanks a lot for this information.

RandyMN
Goldmember
3,131 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 21, 2009 09:47 |  #778

muscleflex wrote in post #7962234 (external link)
it bounces on my MKiii about 2 inches but i like the feel of it. common sense dictates that you should always have a hand underneath your camera whether it's a 1D body or not.
it feels solid enough that i dont see me removing it unless it breaks (which i dont think it will)

I think I stated it earlier in this thread but mine did break the second time out. It was only the underside foam that broke, but I replaced them with better ones.

Free is nice but sometimes free doesn't pay if it puts your gear at risk.

bhardwaj.deepak
665 posts
Joined May 2008

May 21, 2009 10:01 |  #779

True. Plus I dont think that rubber material is going to smell good in summers :)

-- Deepak Bhardwaj
5D mkII, EF 17-40 f/4, EF 24-70 f/2.8, 85mm f/1.8, EF 70-200 f/4 non IS (Gitzo GT2541 + Markins M10Q)

My Flickr (external link)

GSRswapandslow
141 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 28, 2009 16:50 |  #780

i love mine....much more comfy than what my body came with...and i kinda LIKE the bounce of it, cushions the fall of a heavy body and lens if you slip your hand off

sponsored links

87,448 views & 0 likes for this thread
FREE Camera Strap from SmugMug!!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.