Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 14 May 2008 (Wednesday) 09:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Observations of my new home..

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 14, 2008 09:19 |  #1

Well, I've arrived in Virginia. It's actually been here a couple of weeks but I figured it was time for a bit of a breakdown of first opinions from a Northerner on what it feels like to be 'kind of' in the south. First things first.

the accents.. My ears haven't stopped ringing from the accents yet.. I hear drawls, twangs and everything in between and have turned around because I was sure Larry the cable guy was behind me atleast twice. I feel like i'm in a movie and have to make myself concentrate on what's being said instead of how they're saying it.

I'm in the forest. Very literally it's all forest. I think I understand the term 'wild west' now. It all feels kind of put together out here. or worn in. Like an old pair of shoes that someone has had for years.

Don't get me started on tolls. they make me grind my teeth and I hate the dentist.

I love the age of this place. Random conversation about liking ghost stories and my new boss gives me a list of dang near every building in town that's supposedly haunted including a great story about the ghost at my own gig that throws cd's of music he doesn't like across the dining room.

Oh the plans!! So far my baby sister has convinced me... (it wasn't hard) that Baltimore and Boston have to be on the list this summer. and that if we commited ourselves we could probably do every landmark and museum in DC in about four days.

and a bit off topic but the revelation that I know nothing about teenagers has become glaringly obvious. Seriously fourteen year olds.... Do you make them eat their vegetables? do you have to ask them if they've brushed their teeth.. And what about movies and music? Obviously she's not going to tell me when she's not supposed to be allowed something but i'm floundering here. I'm having a great time with both of my sisters with the exception of my twin eating my icecream :evil:. But the more i'm around my baby sister the more I realize they less I know. If she were seven or even two that would be a piece of cake but fourteen..... no clue. and everytime I ask my twin she just laughs at me.

Aside from that it's been a pretty good time. I'm slowly driving my way around the surrounding towns, the rain is making me a little impatient and I'm getting a kick out of the tornado warnings. My sister says that it's because I have no concept of the weather out here. Everyone laughs to themselves when humidity is brought up. Apparently i'm going to hate it... :confused:..

Sari

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

sponsored links
AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

May 14, 2008 09:59 |  #2

saravrose wrote in post #5522105 (external link)
Well, I've arrived in Virginia. It's actually been here a couple of weeks but I figured it was time for a bit of a breakdown of first opinions from a Northerner on what it feels like to be 'kind of' in the south. First things first.

the accents.. My ears haven't stopped ringing from the accents yet.. I hear drawls, twangs and everything in between and have turned around because I was sure Larry the cable guy was behind me atleast twice. I feel like i'm in a movie and have to make myself concentrate on what's being said instead of how they're saying it.

I'm in the forest. Very literally it's all forest. I think I understand the term 'wild west' now. It all feels kind of put together out here. or worn in. Like an old pair of shoes that someone has had for years.

Don't get me started on tolls. they make me grind my teeth and I hate the dentist.

I love the age of this place. Random conversation about liking ghost stories and my new boss gives me a list of dang near every building in town that's supposedly haunted including a great story about the ghost at my own gig that throws cd's of music he doesn't like across the dining room.

Oh the plans!! So far my baby sister has convinced me... (it wasn't hard) that Baltimore and Boston have to be on the list this summer. and that if we commited ourselves we could probably do every landmark and museum in DC in about four days.

and a bit off topic but the revelation that I know nothing about teenagers has become glaringly obvious. Seriously fourteen year olds.... Do you make them eat their vegetables? do you have to ask them if they've brushed their teeth.. And what about movies and music? Obviously she's not going to tell me when she's not supposed to be allowed something but i'm floundering here. I'm having a great time with both of my sisters with the exception of my twin eating my icecream :evil:. But the more i'm around my baby sister the more I realize they less I know. If she were seven or even two that would be a piece of cake but fourteen..... no clue. and everytime I ask my twin she just laughs at me.

Aside from that it's been a pretty good time. I'm slowly driving my way around the surrounding towns, the rain is making me a little impatient and I'm getting a kick out of the tornado warnings. My sister says that it's because I have no concept of the weather out here. Everyone laughs to themselves when humidity is brought up. Apparently i'm going to hate it... :confused:..

Sari

And you are originally from...? VA is as far north as anything in the south goes, and it seems to be a mish-mash of new yorkers and carolinians for the most part. The only accent that makes my ears ring are the jersey and ny accents, and the last time I checked, they were from the north.

I have been noticing the tornado hits in VA and honestly must say that is odd. I moved back to TX from VA and apparently the tornados passed me going the other way! ;)

I was used to TX navigation when I moved to northern VA, and I'll say the switch took time. In TX you can navigate by water towers...in VA you look around and its all trees. You have to know where you are at all times or you can lose your bearings.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 14, 2008 11:00 as a reply to  @ AngryCorgi's post |  #3

I'm from Nampa, Idaho via San Diego. I have noticed that it's easy to get turned around here. But, I haven't gone anywhere without my sisters GPS, in fact I was able to drive across the whole country without getting lost thanks to the little box on my windshield. I haven't noticed many New York accents yet, but i'm in a little town an hour and a half outside of DC. I know what you mean about Virginia being pretty far north I suppose that's why I wasn't prepared for all the accents that i've heard so far. But then again i'm working in a restaurant where one of the chefs is Austrian, the waiters are French and the managers are English. I'm spending more time trying to figure out what people are saying than anything else.

I'm pretty excited about the tornados i've never seen one and I think it would be kind of fun and intense to actually shoot one. But I don't think they're the same kind as you get in the middle of the country..

Sari

Rachel ­ B
I normally pay attention
1,138 posts
Joined Jan 2008

May 14, 2008 11:08 |  #4

Virginia is my first American home, Im from England and find the accents very amusing, afterall before I came here, I had heard my husband who is american and the accents on the tv shows like friends, I love the accents although I sometimes get confused LOL

Welcome to the area

oh and check out the local area thread

40d, 30d, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8 ISL, 60mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, 18-55 Kit, 430exII 2xYN-460 II Flashes

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 14, 2008 11:17 as a reply to  @ Rachel B's post |  #5

thanks Rachel kind of glad it's not just me.. and i'll look in on the thread you mentioned..

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,547 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

May 14, 2008 11:27 |  #6

saravrose wrote in post #5522658 (external link)
I'm from Nampa, Idaho via San Diego. I have noticed that it's easy to get turned around here. But, I haven't gone anywhere without my sisters GPS, in fact I was able to drive across the whole country without getting lost thanks to the little box on my windshield. I haven't noticed many New York accents yet, but i'm in a little town an hour and a half outside of DC. I know what you mean about Virginia being pretty far north I suppose that's why I wasn't prepared for all the accents that i've heard so far. But then again i'm working in a restaurant where one of the chefs is Austrian, the waiters are French and the managers are English. I'm spending more time trying to figure out what people are saying than anything else.

I'm pretty excited about the tornados i've never seen one and I think it would be kind of fun and intense to actually shoot one. But I don't think they're the same kind as you get in the middle of the country..

Sari

Do you mind if I ask what restaurant?

That reminds me of a restaurant in Herndon, VA called the Euro Bistro. The guy that runs it is the chef (well, at least the head chef). He also is Austrian and worked for many years as a chef on a cruise liner, IIRC. You should get out there and give the little cafe a whirl if you can. The Jagersnitzel there is fantastic. He married a girl (I think she's originally from Thailand) who has influenced the menu as well, so there is a really neat mix of germanic and oriental foods on the menu.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

j00sten
509 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 14, 2008 11:27 |  #7

San Diego, CA? Whereabouts did you live over here? It's nice and sunny as usual over here :)

[7D] [Tokina 11-16] [Sigma 50 ΣX] [24-70L] [580EX II]

Woolburr
Rest in peace old friend.
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

May 14, 2008 13:07 |  #8

Sari, Sari....did ya forget to wave when you went flying by? Lots of tour guides available on the east coast.;)

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

condyk
Africa's #1 Tour Guide
20,887 posts
Joined Mar 2005

May 14, 2008 16:15 |  #9

Good to hear you're settling down ... at least for this week ;-)a

Sounds a very interesting place. Of course, you know I find aspects of the US pretty weird and your description makes me think I would find it also very amusing too. Especially the voices. Any future husbands there? :-) Looking forward to some shots.

https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1203740

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

May 14, 2008 16:42 |  #10

Virginia.... living in the "south".....well that's blasphemy!. I guess I've never considered Virginia to be southern.

Sara, I did some work in Roanoke, several years back, and I know what you are talking about with all of the trees. I remember flying in and just seeing trees and hills for as long I could see. I never realized how forested Virginia was before that.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 14, 2008 21:08 |  #11

AngryCorgi wrote in post #5522820 (external link)
Do you mind if I ask what restaurant?

That reminds me of a restaurant in Herndon, VA called the Euro Bistro. The guy that runs it is the chef (well, at least the head chef). He also is Austrian and worked for many years as a chef on a cruise liner, IIRC. You should get out there and give the little cafe a whirl if you can. The Jagersnitzel there is fantastic. He married a girl (I think she's originally from Thailand) who has influenced the menu as well, so there is a really neat mix of germanic and oriental foods on the menu.

It's called Fotis. Literally the first place on my list from my google searches I was actually fairly impressed with how easy it was to find a gig that was up to my standards. This one is suiting me fairly well I still miss my old job and I really, really hate being new. thanks for the advice on the cafe i'm always on the look out for neat spots to stop in on. My twin took me to a Ruby wednesdays when I requested something I haven't tried before... she obviously can't be trusted when it comes to restaurants. :rolleyes:

j00sten wrote in post #5522822 (external link)
San Diego, CA? Whereabouts did you live over here? It's nice and sunny as usual over here :)

I am from Point Loma, my dad still parks his butt on the pier down in OB a couple blocks down from Dog Beach every day. stop by Albertos and get an asada burrito for me.

Woolburr wrote in post #5523372 (external link)
Sari, Sari....did ya forget to wave when you went flying by? Lots of tour guides available on the east coast.;)

absoulutely and you shall be on the top of my list.... I am wondering where Miss Suzy is?

condyk wrote in post #5524831 (external link)
Good to hear you're settling down ... at least for this week ;-)a

Sounds a very interesting place. Of course, you know I find aspects of the US pretty weird and your description makes me think I would find it also very amusing too. Especially the voices. Any future husbands there? :-) Looking forward to some shots.

Dave... dave.... dave.... you should know me better by now.. ;).. Suprisingly no prospects just yet, can't say i'm looking though.. My nosy brother in law is making noises in that area, I think i'll be taking myself to the movies the next time he has 'buddies' over for a barbeque.... as for shots i'm getting there you would really like this little town i'm in. Lots to shoot tons of little white churches with graveyards lots of brick buidings you would find it quaint but very shootable.. ;)

BigBlueDodge wrote in post #5525023 (external link)
Virginia.... living in the "south".....well that's blasphemy!. I guess I've never considered Virginia to be southern.

Sara, I did some work in Roanoke, several years back, and I know what you are talking about with all of the trees. I remember flying in and just seeing trees and hills for as long I could see. I never realized how forested Virginia was before that.

hmm... raoanoke sounds a little bit familiar no idea what direction though. I am actually pretty comfortable in the forest I had an incredibly embarrassing panic attack driving through Oklahoma though. I know without a doubt that the middle of the country is not for me..

Sari

j00sten
509 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 14, 2008 22:21 |  #12

Lol, that's funny you mentioned the carne asada burrito, but i got it from roberto's :P

[7D] [Tokina 11-16] [Sigma 50 ΣX] [24-70L] [580EX II]

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 14, 2008 22:26 |  #13

j00sten wrote in post #5526991 (external link)
Lol, that's funny you mentioned the carne asada burrito, but i got it from roberto's :P

hehe.. the sign of a good burrito spot is when your order is taken through bullet proof glass... ;)

Seamless
163 posts
Joined Jan 2004

May 15, 2008 01:27 |  #14

saravrose wrote in post #5522105 (external link)
first opinions from a Northerner on what it feels like to be 'kind of' in the south

Two behaviors I immediately noticed when arriving as a college freshman in D.C.:

• Slow pace: It's a very cosmopolitan, international area, but the Southern slow pace of life permeates (sidewalks, streets) without the congeniality/hospitali​ty. Movement further slows with hot, wet, snow, icy or humid weather.

• Slow service. An immigrant from NYC could easily boil blood waiting for service.

After a short while, getting a bit further into Virginia, I found being connected to a southerner makes introductions nicer, with genuine warmth for former strangers.

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 15, 2008 11:45 |  #15

Seamless wrote in post #5527720 (external link)
Two behaviors I immediately noticed when arriving as a college freshman in D.C.:
  • Slow pace: It's a very cosmopolitan, international area, but the Southern slow pace of life permeates (sidewalks, streets) without the congeniality/hospitali​ty. Movement further slows with hot, wet, snow, icy or humid weather.
  • Slow service. An immigrant from NYC could easily boil blood waiting for service.

After a short while, getting a bit further into Virginia, I found being connected to a southerner makes introductions nicer, with genuine warmth for former strangers.

I kind of thought it was just me and I was going too quickly... but, there is one small exception.... DRIVING... :shock:... scary... very scary. Kind of like being in Mexico scary.

Sari

sponsored links

4,994 views & 0 likes for this thread
Observations of my new home..
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.