Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 14 May 2008 (Wednesday) 14:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

another, which CS3 book question

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

May 14, 2008 14:05 |  #1

I know a lot of questions have been asked.

but I'm looking for more advanced book. I see alot of great PP / retouching here.

I already have scott kelby's book.

I need more advanced book that teach more about special things not just basic stuff.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

Hairyman
105 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 14, 2008 20:46 |  #2

CS3 Bible.

All the gear and no idea.

http://pacalisdomum.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)http://pacalisdomum.ze​nfolio.com/ (external link)

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 14, 2008 20:59 as a reply to  @ Hairyman's post |  #3

None. I suggest that you just use the internet. Out of all the functionality in CS3 most only use a very small portion of it so why spend the money on a book when you won't use alot of it. Google what you are trying to do and go from there. I tend to learn more when I can watch someone do something so I stick to video tutorials. Over time you will know who the trusted sources are for these tutorials which helps you minimize your search parameters.

If you already have Kelby's book buying another from a different author is going to be fairly repetitive with a different slant on how to do certain things.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

yangez
44 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 14, 2008 21:24 |  #4

Copied from myself:

If you're more experienced or would like to get more experienced, look at Katrin Eismann's Photoshop Restoration and Retouching. This blows everything else away in terms of level of technique and book quality. It's ridiculous how good this book is and how much value you get out of it. Also there is an online retouching book by Gry Garness called Digital Retouching for Fashion, Beauty, and Portrait Photography which is excellent as well. I highly recommend both of these books. To be honest I'd advise you against buying Skin by Lee Varis because it advocates some techniques that involve blurring all detail out of people's skin, which is alright with a low-resolution photo but unacceptable at higher resolutions.

Hope that helps.

Also: good books are good for learning things in a systematic way. The internet has all the same information, but more jumbled up and good information (especially with regards to skin and portrait retouching) is much, much harder to find. It's up to you to decide whether you wanna spend some money on the books keeping that in mind.

Flickr (external link)

sevans16
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined May 2006

May 14, 2008 22:27 |  #5

the adobe photoshop CS3 book by Scott Kelby
ISDN-10: 0-321-50191-8
I found it the best of the four books I have. Anything from Kelby is great. He must sleep with Photoshop at night.

www.777Photography.com (external link)
D850, D810, Tamron 15-30 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8E VR, 24-70 f2.8E VR, 300 f4 PF, 200-500 f5.6E VR, 500 f5.6E PF, Nikon 85 f1.8G
Gitzo 3540/5540LS, Markins M-20, RRS B2 LR II, Wimberly WH200 Gimbal Head, CS6, LR4, 3-Elinchrom Style RX sets, Eli Quadras

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

654 views & 0 likes for this thread
another, which CS3 book question
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.