Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 14 May 2008 (Wednesday) 20:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Scancafe.com -- negative & slide scanning service

pmk
675 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 14, 2008 20:29 |  #1

About 6 weeks ago I took the plunge and sent a huge bundle of my old 35mm negatives to Scancafe (external link) to be scanned. I got them back yesterday and they are amazing! If any of you all have a bunch of color or BW negatives or slides that you want converted to digital, I highly recommend them.

Each scan is 19 cents for color negatives, 24 cents for slides and 99 cents for BW negatives.

The service was top notch. You tell them, more or less, how many negatives your sending -- total ballpark -- and they email you UPS labels to ship to the stuff to California. They then re-ship to their scanning facility in Bangalore and start scanning on high end Noink scanners.

The kicker is that once they scan the stuff, you get to review it. You can delete up to 50% of the scans and not pay for them. This is awesome because it means you don't need to pick and choose beforehand or go sorting through you negatives. They organize the scans into directories based on how you label your envelopes of negatives. I did mine, more or less, by year but it's up to you.

Then they UPS you back all your originals and a nice CD/DVD case of your images. Super high resolution. Each 4-7 MB JPG expands to 34+ meg. The scans were excellent. For something like 9 cents more, you can get TIFF images.

I'm super pleased. I sent them all my negatives from 1981-1991, and now I'm getting ready to ship them all my slides.

Definitely worth checking out. www.scancafe.com (external link)

If you want $10 off, PM me your email address and I'll send you Scancafe's "friends and family" discount coupon.

best,

pmk

Canon 7D ~ S100 ~ Canon 24-105L IS~ Canon 100-400L ~ Canon 17-55 ~ Canon 10-22 ~ Canon 100 Macro ~ Canon 580EXII & 430EX ~ Gitzo GT2530 ~ All in a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

Singlespeed Photography (external link)

sponsored links
thegaa
51 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 16, 2008 14:28 |  #2

I just read an article about this in POP magazine! Glad it was a success. They also seemed impressed.

Samantha
XTI/Kit Lens/Canon 85mm 1.8/Sigma 28-75 2.8/Canon 100mm Macro/580 EX

Karl ­ C
Goldmember
1,953 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Location: Now: N 39°36' 8.2" W 104°53' 58"; prev N 43°4' 33" W 88°13' 23"; home N 34°7' 0" W 118°16' 18"

May 16, 2008 17:28 as a reply to  @ thegaa's post |  #3

B&W negative scans are 99 cents each.

Gear: Kodak Brownie and homemade pin-hole cameras. Burlap sack for a bag.

glowie
888 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 16, 2008 18:05 |  #4

oohhh...Medium format is also .99 cents..good deal!

Thanks!

.....::....:..:..:::.:​:....:::..::....:.:.::​:....
>glowie loves you (external link)
>my Flickr (external link)
•The Anti-HDR Movement• (external link)

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 16, 2008 18:23 |  #5

Karl C wrote in post #5539090 (external link)
B&W negative scans are 99 cents each.

heh, yeah. It's a huge pain to scan in my film. I'm sort of regretting going back to it for fun. My friend has been toying with shooting the film with a macro lens, and it's working out fairly well for him so far.

str8addicted
527 posts
Joined Apr 2008

May 17, 2008 19:53 |  #6

randomlinh wrote in post #5539408 (external link)
heh, yeah. It's a huge pain to scan in my film. I'm sort of regretting going back to it for fun. My friend has been toying with shooting the film with a macro lens, and it's working out fairly well for him so far.

i found a shoe box full of negative from 2000-2001 and it takes a good chunk of time to scan roll after roll with the scanner i have

Sony A7RIII || Sony A7SII || Sigma 35mm 1.4 Art || Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art|| Sony 24-104 F4 G OSS || Ronikon 14mm 2.8 AF || Irix 11mm F4 ||

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 18, 2008 09:22 |  #7

str8addicted wrote in post #5544785 (external link)
i found a shoe box full of negative from 2000-2001 and it takes a good chunk of time to scan roll after roll with the scanner i have

It's not the actual scanning part that bothers me. It's slow, but whatever. It's the fact b&w film doesn't work with ICE... so, I'm stuck cleaning it all up manually (hence the 99cents/neg from that place, haha)

ajayclicks
879 posts
Joined May 2006

May 18, 2008 20:50 |  #8

pmk wrote in post #5526239 (external link)
They then re-ship to their scanning facility in Bangalore and start scanning on high end Noink scanners.

This is interesting. I am based out of Bangalore, but i have been sending my negatives and slides to another city, simply because Labs here who do a good job charge atrociously. Was not aware of this back end scanning facility (will they accept local jobs?).

Anyways, the guy i send my stuff to (in another Indian city of Ahmedabad) charges arnd 3USD per roll of slide/ negative. I get 8 bit TIFF files scanned at 4000 DPI at this (3 USD per roll) rate.

Cheers

http://ajayclicks.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ajaygargphotography (external link)http://flickr.com/phot​os/ajayclicks (external link)

pmk
THREAD ­ STARTER
675 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 19, 2008 05:56 as a reply to  @ ajayclicks's post |  #9

I think the Banglalore facility is owned by Scancafe -- at least that's what the sign on the building says.

http://www.scancafe.co​m/operations_blr.php (external link)

pmk

Canon 7D ~ S100 ~ Canon 24-105L IS~ Canon 100-400L ~ Canon 17-55 ~ Canon 10-22 ~ Canon 100 Macro ~ Canon 580EXII & 430EX ~ Gitzo GT2530 ~ All in a Lowepro Mini Trekker AW

ajayclicks
879 posts
Joined May 2006

May 19, 2008 11:49 |  #10

Thanks for the link pmk :)

http://ajayclicks.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ajaygargphotography (external link)http://flickr.com/phot​os/ajayclicks (external link)

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

May 19, 2008 12:26 |  #11

Sounds like a great deal, but I'd pay the extra 18 cents per frame to get 4000 dpi and TIFF files. 37 cents per frame is still pretty inexpensive.

Any idea what multisampling they use? A good service will use at least 4X. And they don't mention anywhere on their site if they apply Digital GEM ... grain reduction is a must for scanned negs.

I use at home the same scanner they are using (Nikon Super Coolscan 5000ED), and the results are excellent.

edit: They seem to only do 8 bit/channel scans. If you choose TIFF is 16 bit/channel another extra that costs more?

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

pmk
THREAD ­ STARTER
675 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 20, 2008 19:30 as a reply to  @ Bob_A's post |  #12

You're WAY beyond my technical knowledge of scanning. Give 'em a call and report back:

Toll Free: 1-866-745-0392

As I mentioned in the OP, if anyone wants a $10 "friends and family" discount, PM me your email.

pmk

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

May 20, 2008 20:05 |  #13

pmk wrote in post #5564029 (external link)
You're WAY beyond my technical knowledge of scanning. Give 'em a call and report back:

Toll Free: 1-866-745-0392

As I mentioned in the OP, if anyone wants a $10 "friends and family" discount, PM me your email.

pmk

Thanks pmk. Just asking more for the benefit of others. I have a 5000ED, so I do my own scans, although I would have been tempted to send them my B&W negs because they were in horrible shape and took me forever to clean them up. Because you can use Digital ICE, Color is a breeze compared to B&W. $1/neg for B&W WITH dust and scratch removal is a steal of a deal.

Bob

Apollo11
Goldmember
1,557 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

May 29, 2008 14:13 |  #14

Bob_A wrote in post #5554401 (external link)
Sounds like a great deal, but I'd pay the extra 18 cents per frame to get 4000 dpi and TIFF files. 37 cents per frame is still pretty inexpensive.

A quick question---if you upgrade and have them scanned as TIFF files, can they be edited in DPP, and without converting to jpeg? I've got Photoshop Elements 5, but prefer DPP.

Andrew
gear list

Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jun 01, 2008 01:07 |  #15

I don't use DPP, but TIFF's can certainly be edited in PS (I use CS3) and saved as jpeg. The advantage of TIFF is that they can be 16 bit and it's a lossless format.

Most of what I scan is 4000 DPI jpeg (maximum quality) with 4X multi-sample scanning, but I do use TIFF when I have a negative that is a bit more of a "keeper" image or has a exposure problem where 16 bit can help a lot.

Bob

sponsored links

7,418 views & 0 likes for this thread
Scancafe.com -- negative & slide scanning service
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.