Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 18 May 2008 (Sunday) 09:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D now, or 5D Mark II later?

djeuch
933 posts
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2008 09:15 |  #1

I know... I know...

But you're reading this thread, so I'll ask!

I have saved enough for a 5D body. My lenses are all EF mount (24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS) so a FF body will really increase the versatility of my lens line-up.

Anyway, knowing the 5D2 will probably be twice what current 5D prices are, do I still buy a 5D with the current $300 promotion (makes the 5D really cheap in my opinion), and simply consider selling it (plus potentially my 40D) when the Mark II comes out? Or do I just wait and save up to buy the 5D2 outright this fall?

Ugh. I hate indecision!

Assume $1700 saved now, or ~$3400 (+$1700 more) by Fall rebate time... what would you do?

Canon 40D w/BG-E2N Battery Grip | Canon 5D w/BG-E4 Battery Grip | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 85mm f/1.8 w/ET-65III | EF 50mm f/1.4 w/ES-71II | Canon 1.4x TC | Lowepro SlingShot 200 AW | B+W 77mm MRC (010) filter x2 | Speedlite 580EX II

sponsored links
BrantG
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 18, 2008 09:19 |  #2

Well since the Canon rebates go through July, why not wait and see if anything gets announced in that time frame?

If not, I would get the 5D now and then sell it later if you find the new version has more to offer you.

Brant Gajda on Flickr (external link)

sadowsk2
Goldmember
1,179 posts
Joined Feb 2007

May 18, 2008 09:43 as a reply to  @ BrantG's post |  #3

I say get the 5D now at those price levels and use that delta to pick up a smooth piece of glass... maybe an ultra wide angle zoom (16-35L) or a fast wide prime (35L)... I dont think the 5D mk2 personally will justify the price it will be asking... just my opinion... I grappled with the same question late last year and came to that realization and nabbed the 5D and havent looked back

1D Mk IV, 5D Gripped, 30D
35L | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L |16-35L | 24-70L |[COLOR=black] 24-105L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 100-400L | 15mm fisheye | 580EX II x2 | 430EX

Canon S3IS

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

May 18, 2008 11:18 |  #4

Depends. How badly do you want it now? If the 40D'll do the job for you for a while, it wouldn't hurt to wait. But then again, a new 5D, if there is one, will be expensive, and old ones will start becoming harder and harder to find...

It's a great camera, I don't think you can go wrong either way, as the 40D is sweet too.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

adam*
Goldmember
4,411 posts
Joined Jul 2005

May 18, 2008 11:23 |  #5

Buy now. There is no proof that there will be a 5Dmk2 so why wait. I remember everyone thinking it would be out a couple of months ago.. the same people now say fall. If you need/want it, just get it and if you have to sell it then come to that later.

:: For sale: 70-200 2.8L :: Nikon D700 ::
:: my site :: www.pbase.com/adamgray​photography (external link) ::

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

May 18, 2008 11:25 |  #6

True, it's all speculation. And I still firmly believe that there isn't going to be a 5DII, or at least, Canon isn't actively working on one (hell, Chuck Westfall said it himself!).

I'd be pleasantly surprised if they did make one though!

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Chandler.
Goldmember
2,784 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 18, 2008 11:27 |  #7

I say buy a 5D now. That's what I'm going to do.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

breal101
Goldmember
2,724 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 18, 2008 11:29 |  #8

At current price how much can you lose buying now? Depends how much you want FF.

"Try to go out empty and let your images fill you up." Jay Maisel

EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 18, 2008 11:40 as a reply to  @ breal101's post |  #9

I waited for the spring rebate on the 5D last year which never came, so I decided to bite the bullet and purchase it anyway. The only regret I have is not purchasing the camera sooner. I'm not sure what the upgrade to the 5D will produce, but the current model has kept me off the rumor forum since I purchased it. It has all the features I need and yields great results. Additionally, I doubt I would purchase any camera without a few months of introduction to allow for a test period, so in effect I'd be waiting until next year to purchase the 5D upgrade. A long time and a ton of pictures could be lost in that period of time. One last item is that it takes all the lenses you have and changes them from the 40D. Your 24-105L is now really a 24 and it gives you an added feature that you currently don't have.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

sixsixfour
Goldmember
1,781 posts
Joined May 2007

May 18, 2008 11:42 |  #10

5D. now.

Canon 7D / 50D / 30D / SL1 / XT

My photography-related addiction makes a crack habit look like a fiscally responsible pasttime.

mbphoto
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2008

May 18, 2008 11:42 |  #11

hey guys,

i'm waiting for more than a year now for the new 5d and i think there will be no new one the next months. there have been some rumors about the new one coming in april, but nothing happened. then there was a screenshot oc canon germany website that the 5d mark II will come in june but we have may now and there are no new information about that. i really hoped that the new camera would come to photokina in september but i think there will be no one. i don't know the price for 5d in usa or other contries but in germany there would not be any use in buying and selling when the new camera comes.
i think the 5d is a very old crappy cam, no live view, no sensor cleaning, no bigger resolution, only three fps every xti or 450d is better than this old model. let's hope canon will realise that this is not state of the art.

montreal
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 18, 2008 11:44 |  #12

I was having the same debate last year... In the end I bought the camera in April 2007 and I'm glad I did...

It's a fantastic camera and I'm not saying I'll never upgrade but I'm planning on using it for a good while.

5D - 17-40L, 70-200L f4, 50 f1.4, PowerShot A430

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 18, 2008 11:48 |  #13

buy it now. sell the 40D now if you don't need the backup. I wouldn't assume the 5DmkII would be vastly more expensive, unless they plan on keeping the 5D, and are really introducing a 7D or something. You can upgrade later at not too much of a loss. It's not like the 5DmkII will make the 5DmkI completely obsolete (hopefully... haha).

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

May 18, 2008 12:00 |  #14

I remember people holding off on getting a 5D in January 2007 because the 5Dmk2 was imminent. Still waiting.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

BrantG
Goldmember
1,305 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 18, 2008 12:01 |  #15

JeffreyG wrote in post #5548030 (external link)
I remember people holding off on getting a 5D in January 2007 because the 5Dmk2 was imminent. Still waiting.

Well the rebates last until July, so what would be the rush? You could wait until the last day to purchase.

Brant Gajda on Flickr (external link)

sponsored links

9,609 views & 0 likes for this thread
5D now, or 5D Mark II later?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.