Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 19 May 2008 (Monday) 09:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Things about the East Coast... ?

saravrose
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 19, 2008 09:11 |  #1

that everybody knows except me.

Let's hear it, Obviously i've never heard of a five brothers. (i've been told repeatedly to try it). Hush puppies are edible, sorta.. when folks say Washington they mean DC and not the state, shirley temples are made with ginger ale and not sprite out here, what does ginger ale taste like anyway?.. there is the incredibly obnoxious tolls whenever you drive :evil:.. A hot dog is a koney, atleast that's what the commercial called it. Carl's Jr. is still Carl's Jr. only know folks call it Hardees (why?).. Oh, it's permissable out here for folks to walk around with clothing styled like the confederate flag :shock:. There's more I just can't think up it all... So, what am I missing?... I know there's tons, so help a West Coaster acclimate...

please.... pretty please........

sari.

Canon 30D BG_E2 Grip Rebel XT BG-E3 battery grip
Canon 50mm f1.8 Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Canon 70-200f4.0L 100-400L aka (Chuck)
a couple of bags and a lot of big ideas
"The shot is in my head before it's in front of my camera...."

sponsored links
Woolburr
Rest in peace old friend.
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

May 19, 2008 10:40 |  #2

On Coney Island...they call hot dogs coneys...most everywhere else it is still a hot dog. How did you make a BV and ginger if you didn't have ginger? Still a fairly popular drink....if you are going to try ginger ale, at least get the good stuff, Canada Dry or Schwepps.

Depending on where you go...there are still a few folks that think the Civil War never ended. Most good rednecks have a 'Federate flag on their truck somewhere. Southerners think you can talk ill of anyone as long as you include the phrase "Bless his/her heart". If you ever overhear someone saying "Sari is a bit special, bless her heart", you just got dumped on big time.

Real southern cooking contains at least 3 parts grease/lard to any other ingredient. Don't expect to find good Italian or seafood restaurants west of I-95. People seem to think iced tea should have sugar in it. They don't have rolls...everything is served on a biscuit...and if you want decent baked goods...head for Philly, NY or DC....you aren't apt to find any outside the cities.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Woolburr
66,487 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 19, 2008 10:47 |  #3

And if someone offers you a boiled peanut...run!

You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Chris ­ Dana
Goldmember
1,421 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 19, 2008 10:51 |  #4

Woolburr wrote in post #5553702 (external link)
Depending on where you go...there are still a few folks that think the Civil War never ended. Most good rednecks have a 'Federate flag on their truck somewhere.

Sadly, I've seen more confederate flags on trucks in Michigan than I EVER saw in SW Virginia.

Chris Dana Photography (external link) - Mid Michigan Family Photography
Digital Alchemy (external link) - Detroit and Mid Michigan Wedding Photography

Mum2J&M
Goldmember
3,429 posts
Joined May 2007

May 19, 2008 11:09 |  #5

saravrose wrote in post #5553258 (external link)
that everybody knows except me.

Let's hear it, Obviously i've never heard of a five brothers. (i've been told repeatedly to try it). Hush puppies are edible, sorta.. when folks say Washington they mean DC and not the state, shirley temples are made with ginger ale and not sprite out here, what does ginger ale taste like anyway?.. there is the incredibly obnoxious tolls whenever you drive :evil:.. A hot dog is a koney, atleast that's what the commercial called it. Carl's Jr. is still Carl's Jr. only know folks call it Hardees (why?).. Oh, it's permissable out here for folks to walk around with clothing styled like the confederate flag :shock:. There's more I just can't think up it all... So, what am I missing?... I know there's tons, so help a West Coaster acclimate...

please.... pretty please........

sari.

Um, no tolls down here where I live. Never heard of a "koney". Don't know what Carl's Jr. is and never been to a Hardee's. Never seen ANYONE dressed like a confederate flag and I live in NC! I think you are generalizing about the entire east coast. Every state on this side is extremely different. A submarine sandwich is called a sub in NJ, a grinder in CT, and a hoagie in PA for starters. I'm sure there are a number of things where you are currently residing that are very different from other places on the east coast. Are you near any city? Perhaps you feel out of place because you're living around locals? Don't know. I never felt that out of touch when I was in San Francisco. Never lived on the west coast. Never will.

Cleo
50D
smugmug (external link)

Stocky
731 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 19, 2008 11:14 |  #6

Where exactly on the east coast are you?
Tolls do cost some money, but if you get an EZpass then you get the pleasure of passing hundreds of cars at a time that are stopped to hand in their cash.
I think you only find coney dogs in the NY area, but I have only seen hush puppies in the south (NC mostly), so I am having trouble figuring out where you are.
General advice includes: Don't try to drive in New Jersey, and if you do don't follow any of the signs; they will all lead you wrong.
Just like Washington, most of the time when people say New York they also mean the city. Most of the rest is called "Upstate NY".
oh, and stay away from boiled peanuts.

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

Stocky
731 posts
Joined Feb 2008

May 19, 2008 11:21 |  #7

And while we are talking about parts of the country, can you all help me out a little?

In Maryland you get jimmies on the top of your ice cream, but in New York I have to ask for sprinkles or I get funny looks. Where else are they called jimmies?

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 19, 2008 11:24 |  #8

Mum2J&M wrote in post #5553896 (external link)
..A submarine sandwich is called a sub in NJ, a grinder in CT, and a hoagie in PA for starters...l.

In NY it's called a------------ Hero

Woolburr
66,487 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 19, 2008 11:42 |  #9

Palladium wrote in post #5553984 (external link)
In NY it's called a------------ Hero

Maybe in the city...ask for a hero upstate and you will get directions to one of the military bases or a firehouse. Upstate...its a sub.

Mum2J&M
Goldmember
3,429 posts
Joined May 2007

May 19, 2008 13:17 |  #10

Woolburr wrote in post #5554114 (external link)
Maybe in the city...ask for a hero upstate and you will get directions to one of the military bases or a firehouse. Upstate...its a sub.

LOL! And to the above poster, they are called "jimmies" in Boston too. I never knew wtf people were talking about until someone told me! I grew up with "sprinkles." You need to ask UK people what they call them. I think they are like "hundreds of thousands" or something weird like that... and stuffed animals are "cuddly toys." ;)

Cleo
50D
smugmug (external link)

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 19, 2008 14:00 |  #11

Woolburr wrote in post #5553702 (external link)
On Coney Island...they call hot dogs coneys...most everywhere else it is still a hot dog. How did you make a BV and ginger if you didn't have ginger? Still a fairly popular drink....if you are going to try ginger ale, at least get the good stuff, Canada Dry or Schwepps.

Depending on where you go...there are still a few folks that think the Civil War never ended. Most good rednecks have a 'Federate flag on their truck somewhere. Southerners think you can talk ill of anyone as long as you include the phrase "Bless his/her heart". If you ever overhear someone saying "Sari is a bit special, bless her heart", you just got dumped on big time.

Real southern cooking contains at least 3 parts grease/lard to any other ingredient. Don't expect to find good Italian or seafood restaurants west of I-95. People seem to think iced tea should have sugar in it. They don't have rolls...everything is served on a biscuit...and if you want decent baked goods...head for Philly, NY or DC....you aren't apt to find any outside the cities.

ginger ale isn't served on the west coast i'd heard of it on television shows but, I thought it was something obscure that's not really made anymore and now it's like every other soft drink.
So, far i've seen the confederate flag on atleast half a dozen trucks, on a purse, as an emblem on a jacket and quite a few houses.. I understand that it doesn't have the same emphasis out here as it does back home, In Idaho that particular flag is a symbol of the KKK and other weirdos that reside at the very tip of the state, anybody hear of Ruby Ridge?... (creepy stuff).. and not something that's shown in public often, if at all.
The sweet tea thing is a little strange but I had a couple of Great uncles from Georgia so I actually know how to make it. The fried food thing is throwing me a little bit. But it's not a huge stretch it's just much more extreme out here... Fried Twinkies???..
It does feel different and i'm constantly having a location, store, brand etc. explained to me. The strangest and probably hardest for folks to relate to is the differences in restaurant lingo that i'm experiencing... "entree" are now "a mains".. 'selling' is now a 'push' thank god '86' and 'fire' still exists. Drink recipes and names are turned around. It is entertaining but i'm starting to get impatient with myself..

Sari

saravrose
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I quit smoking dope"
9,562 posts
Joined Aug 2005

May 19, 2008 14:01 |  #12

hmm.. boiled peanut??... somebody tell me what the heck a boiled peanut is about?..

oh, and I am in a little town about an hour and a half away from DC.

timbernet
send a search party to Mount Hood
19,157 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 19, 2008 14:02 |  #13

saravrose wrote in post #5555053 (external link)
ginger ale isn't served on the west coast

Ginger Ale is one of the few sodas I drink and I am a west coaster - I love it!

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

May 19, 2008 14:27 |  #14

I'm afraid boiled peanuts are just what they sound like. Toss a bunch of peanuts (still in the shell) into salt water and let 'em boil until the shells get mushy . . . You don't have to eat the shells, though.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Woolburr
66,487 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 19, 2008 14:43 |  #15

Jon wrote in post #5555192 (external link)
I'm afraid boiled peanuts are just what they sound like. Toss a bunch of peanuts (still in the shell) into salt water and let 'em boil until the shells get mushy . . . You don't have to eat the shells, though.

Although the shells might just be the best part....:shock:

sponsored links

7,037 views & 0 likes for this thread
Things about the East Coast... ?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.