Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 May 2008 (Tuesday) 10:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

400D: I wish I could turn off the bottom focal point

javaprog
123 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 20, 2008 10:06 |  #1

I'm constantly front focusing because the bottom focal point locks, especially in action shots. There are many occasions when I wish I could selectively turn a focal point off. Can other body models do this?

Example: There was a sudden flurry of activity on the small island across the pond. I turned and got these shots:

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]
http://rhenry74.homeip​.net …MAGES-NOT-ALLOWED-2287c)-

I swear if I could turn off the bottom focal point it would solve 25% of my focus issues. :(

400D, Sigma 24-60 f2.8 EX DG, EF 70-200 f4L

sponsored links
X-Warrior
590 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 20, 2008 10:12 |  #2

You can't selectively turn just one off. But you can select one point and turn off the rest. It's the button on the top-right (at the back of the camera).
I believe center focus is the most used one (it's the one I use most often anyway).

Something wide (external link), something long (external link), something fishy (external link), something strong (external link), something for details (external link), something to put it on (external link).
To view my image showcase, visit: http://www.dvdpimages.​com (external link)

lkb-28
Goldmember
1,809 posts
Joined Sep 2005

May 20, 2008 10:39 |  #3

X-Warrior wrote in post #5560605 (external link)
You can't selectively turn just one off. But you can select one point and turn off the rest. It's the button on the top-right (at the back of the camera).
I believe center focus is the most used one (it's the one I use most often anyway).

Seconded... It's the way to go...

Having ALL focus points selected, the camera will ALWAYS focus on the nearest object... which, in this case is the foreground water...

Cheers;

Lee

Comments & Criticisms ALWAYS welcome...:D
Still a rank amateur - but learning day by day...:D

Equipment

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,600 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 20, 2008 13:13 |  #4

It would really help if you looked at the pics using the Canon supplied ZoomBrowser and turned on the focal points to display which points the camera used. I'm guessing that the bottom one did not even come into play and your camera is front focusing.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

javaprog
THREAD ­ STARTER
123 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 20, 2008 15:18 |  #5

gjl711 wrote in post #5561674 (external link)
It would really help if you looked at the pics using the Canon supplied ZoomBrowser and turned on the focal points to display which points the camera used. I'm guessing that the bottom one did not even come into play and your camera is front focusing.

I'll try that

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 20, 2008 15:22 |  #6

On these web-sized examples the focussing looks ok.

Mark.

javaprog
THREAD ­ STARTER
123 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 20, 2008 16:00 |  #7

Madweasel wrote in post #5562575 (external link)
On these web-sized examples the focussing looks ok.

The more I try to figure out what went wrong the more perplexed I get.

Here's a crop: 1/320 f5.6 200mm at about 90 feet

I'm going to look at the focal points in ZoomBrowser too.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 20, 2008 16:07 |  #8

It looks to me like the focus was toward the back of the duck rather than the head. In a scene like this you really need to use spot focusing. Because you have one subject to isolate, you can generally the center spot to focus (more accurate) and focus on the head. f/5.6 with a telephoto lens gives a relatively shallow depth of field, which means that your in focus/out of focus fields will be reversed (the rear of the duck would be more out of focus than the head) but the result will still be better than what you see here.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Analog6
565 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 20, 2008 16:15 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #9

I always use the centre (spot) focus. Only way for action photography.

Odille
---------------
My Facebook (external link) / Photo Blog (external link) / RedBubble shop (external link) / My Calendars (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,137 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2007

May 20, 2008 16:20 as a reply to  @ Analog6's post |  #10

That depends upon what kind of action you are taking pictures of.
If you are trying to follow subjects, with Servo AF, and these subjects not all the time remain in the center of the image, then using all points and thereby utilizing the camera's ability to hand over focus to a side point may be a good idea.

Anders

javaprog
THREAD ­ STARTER
123 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 20, 2008 16:38 |  #11

I think it looks like the sharpest point is in front of the goose, in the reflection.

"Show Auto Focus Points" in ZoomBrowser is disabled, which is also troubling. I wasn't shooting in RAW, but the JPEG is straight from the camera. The AF point EXIF data should be there.

I agree with everyone that I should have been using the center point and/or AI Servo if I was expecting acation; but I was shooting landscape, and it happend so fast I just turned and started pulling the trigger. :)

javaprog
THREAD ­ STARTER
123 posts
Joined Mar 2008

May 20, 2008 16:52 |  #12

1/400th f5.6 200mm

Maybe it's just motion blur

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 20, 2008 16:53 |  #13

I believe, looking at the crop, that focus is fine and what we have here is camera shake. The reason that the area of water in front of the goose looks sharpest is that in this example the camera movement is largely horizontal, so the vertical patterns in the feathers looks bad and the horizontal patterns in the water don't look so bad.

Mark.

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

May 20, 2008 16:56 |  #14

I was talking about the first crop there, but you posted another while I was typing. In the second one again I think focus is accurate, but you are panning a moving target and everything is movement-blurred. If you look at the water drops behind the bird, they are very thin lines. This means they are focussed correctly but have moved during the exposure. In quick action like that, you should be up around 1/2000 or so.

Mark.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 20, 2008 16:59 |  #15

javaprog wrote in post #5563065 (external link)
I think it looks like the sharpest point is in front of the goose, in the reflection.

You may be right about the focus being toward the front.

At any rate, using either the center point or an alternate point for AF gives you more control. However, you can still find your focus moving to an object with more contrast. You really have to stay glued to your viewfinder to try to pick up on those focus shifts.

"Show Auto Focus Points" in ZoomBrowser is disabled, which is also troubling. I wasn't shooting in RAW, but the JPEG is straight from the camera. The AF point EXIF data should be there.

I've never used ZoomBrowser. I seem to remember this type of problem being resolved somewhere in this forum -- maybe search for "Show Auto Focus Points" and see if you can find a reference.

I agree with everyone that I should have been using the center point and/or AI Servo if I was expecting acation; but I was shooting landscape, and it happend so fast I just turned and started pulling the trigger. :)

Heh! This happens to me all the time! I frequently carry two bodies, one set up for wide shots and one for telephoto shots, but even then a quick change from one shooting mode to another can be...interesting:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

sponsored links

2,189 views & 0 likes for this thread
400D: I wish I could turn off the bottom focal point
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.