Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 20 May 2008 (Tuesday) 15:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Question...to upgrade or not

big_d
345 posts
Joined Jul 2007

May 20, 2008 15:48 |  #1

Hey Guys currently i have a rebel xt and i want more crisp cleaner shots. Is better to go and buy a 40D OR keep with the 350D and buy some L glass?

Thanks
D

Canon 5D MK2/Canon 40D/Canon Rebel XT - Canon 16-35mm F2.8 L , Canon 24-105mm F4 L , Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L , Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 18-55mm (Kit Lens), Sigma 70-300mm APO DG, Peleng 8mm Fish-eye, Canon 580 EX Speedlite II

sponsored links
EcoRick
Goldmember
1,863 posts
Joined Nov 2006

May 20, 2008 16:33 |  #2

Not judging your talents, but the XT can take some pretty crisp shots. Perhaps you can post some pictures of what you'd like to improve.

Gear: Canon 1Ds MkII, 35L, 85L, 135L, 24-105L

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 20, 2008 16:49 |  #3

big_d wrote in post #5562732 (external link)
Hey Guys currently i have a rebel xt and i want more crisp cleaner shots. Is better to go and buy a 40D OR keep with the 350D and buy some L glass?

Thanks
D

I'd consider starting with upgrading your kit lens, or at least learning about all of your lens's capabilities. Even the kit lens can deliver good shots if you use it within its "sweet spot" range. However, both the kit lens and the 50 1.8 will be soft when, say, wide open.

Try testing your various lenses, on a tripod with mirror lock and using the self timer, running them at various apertures from wide open to fully stopped down. You will likely find a range of apertures that will be noticeably sharper than the extremes, for example, from f/5.6 - f/11. You may also notice that a zoom lens might be softer at the extremes of their zoom range.

Also, this kind of test will help you learn how technique can affect sharpness. If, say, you are using a lens at f/8, it is likely in the zone of sharp, and so if you see problems with the shot, it is likely something in your focusing or shooting technique.

As a frame of reference, the 50 1.8 gets quite sharp at around f/2.8. If you take a shot with that lens and the tripod setup in the f/2.8 - f/8 range you will have a good reference point as to what is sharp and what is not. But that does require the tripod, mirror lockup, and either a cable release or the self timer to eliminate camera movement, and a good sized high-contrast subject to ensure good AF capture.

Good luck! The Rebel is capable of great shots!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Pete-eos
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 20, 2008 17:54 |  #4

Whats not so crisp about the current shots?

Upgrade to the 40D because of the features, you won't see an IQ improvement.

nadtz
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Dec 2005

May 20, 2008 17:55 |  #5

That said the XT could be annoying with its AF, my good lenses have performed 'better' since getting my 30d.

big_d
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 01, 2008 18:09 |  #6

Thanks for the suggestions guys i ended up buying some L glass as u can see in my sig and it's definitely an AF problem. when shooting cars it tends to grab the rear end of the car instead of the front end for ex

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i61.photobucket​.com …202008/IMG_8193​Medium.jpg (external link)

vs

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i61.photobucket​.com …202008/IMG_8321​Medium.jpg (external link)

Canon 5D MK2/Canon 40D/Canon Rebel XT - Canon 16-35mm F2.8 L , Canon 24-105mm F4 L , Canon 70-200mm F2.8 L , Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 18-55mm (Kit Lens), Sigma 70-300mm APO DG, Peleng 8mm Fish-eye, Canon 580 EX Speedlite II

Pete-eos
Goldmember
1,999 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 01, 2008 19:42 |  #7

Huh, you've not mentioned an AF issue in the first post?

As for the camera focusing on the rear, what focus mode are you using, if your not using Ai-Servo and using One-Shot AF on moving vehicles (presuming they are moving) then this would explain the AF issue.

Good call on the 70-200 f/4L by the way.. :)

big_d
THREAD ­ STARTER
345 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 01, 2008 23:54 |  #8

^ya i forgot to mention it lol i was using oine shot and the cars were movin real slow lol

and thanks :)

sponsored links

1,071 views & 0 likes for this thread
Question...to upgrade or not
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.